U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:48 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,199,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Here's one example start on page 3, post #23.
ncgirl, this was all I was asking for, so thank you.

I did start reading this post, but the post takes on 2 completely different meanings if you start from page one or if you start from page 3. I encourage anyone (who clearly has no time for this stuff) to read the post, as intended, starting from page one.
point being, post links to back your claims, and that goes for everyone, including the "regulars".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 04:11 AM

7,104 posts, read 9,698,581 times
Default Leave your pistols at the office

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
ncgirl, this was all I was asking for, so thank you.

I did start reading this post, but the post takes on 2 completely different meanings if you start from page one or if you start from page 3. I encourage anyone (who clearly has no time for this stuff) to read the post, as intended, starting from page one.
point being, post links to back your claims, and that goes for everyone, including the "regulars".
eman:With all due respect,why would one turn down help or helpful advise because it is not backed up by pages of proof as one needs in a civil trial?
Why do you feel compelled to quote the TOS to try and state some personal agenda that you seem to have? For the life of me I cannot understand your position but there are resolutions.

1) You can sit back and determine how you will separate the wheat from the chaff. Read topics that interest you and decide either by content or the writer's substance to accept or reject the posting.

2) Accept the fact that this is a public forum that one has come to seeking "free" information. SOMETIMES "free" is worth just that. How many times have you seen people coming here with legal issues, ie: claims about structual damage issues with their house,and ask for advise from lay people such as me on a matter that might mean their house will fall down in two years on top of their head? How about using a lawyer on a $175,000 problem?

3)On issues as simple as "Is there work in Charlotte?" OMG don't they read the newspapers or watch the news? What problem do you have with the TOS being broken by not posting a link to substanstiate the post?
Come on, give it a rest.

4) Last but not least, and again I mean no disrepect, don't read the forum board or use the ignore feature with those posters you don't wish to listen to.
(Not quite sure if this board has an "ignore" button ,as some other boards I read do, but if not "ignore them")

I for one would not like to see postings take on the air of a document that had to be structured with pages of astericks. I will read, investigate and then form my own decisions.

Have a great sunny day!
je

Old 10-15-2008, 04:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,475,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
e
4) Last but not least, and again I mean no disrepect, don't read the forum board or use the ignore feature with those posters you don't wish to listen to.
(Not quite sure if this board has an "ignore" button ,as some other boards I read do, but if not "ignore them")

Have a great sunny day!
je
Click on their username and choose "View Public Profile". On the blue horizontal strip, you'll find links allowing you to add this person to your Buddy List or Ignore List.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,009,663 times
EMAN - thank you for your post. I always enjoy your views and appreciate your weighing in. Would have answered sooner but was tied up last evening.

I wrote the post after reading yet another thread on wh/ it was stated that we must be negative about newcomers here b/c we keep saying - don't come w/o a job. I read (and occasionally post) on all the NC forums . . . and this is definitely not the first time potential newcomers have either stated (or insinuated) that the reason we don't want more people here is b/c Southerners are: closed to newcomers; don't want the competition here for jobs; or that we just dislike Yankees.

Of course, that is NOT a regular comment (or insinuation). However, the insinuation that we who live here (natives and those who have relocated) simply don't want more people here - that is NOT atypical. In addition, it is regularly stated that "well, we are coming anyway" - and then later, we sometimes hear from that person saying - I can't find a job! . . . or . . . I am miserable here!!! . . . or. . . Yes, I got a cheaper house and taxes but I can't find a full time job in my field . . . etc.

All Loves was trying to explain by saying "regulars" is that there are a group of us who check in regularly . . . and read/post on many different sections of the NC forum . . . and hear these comments from people who have moved here . . . even from retirees . . . who thought they could get a part time job to help out w/ their pension or SS . . . and now are discouraged and upset b/c they sank their money into that "well priced bargain home" . . . and now the value has gone down . . . they can't sell it . . . and oh - btw - they cannot find that part time job.

There is nothing nefarious going on here as far as "us against them" - meaning - Natives don't want newcomers here. I cherish the relationships I have formed w/ newcomers . . . it so happens that even tho I grew up here . . . only two of my friends are longtime 20 plus year friends. The women I enjoy being w/ here in CLT include NO natives! My concern at this point is - that they all will be able to stay here FOREVER as we are now facing job layoffs, cutbacks, etc. and it is affecting ALL of us, newcomers and natives alike.

I know of several situations, personally, where newcomers have come and sunk money into a home . . . and now can't sell it . . . and the main breadwinner has been laid off - and can't find a job. These situations are distressing to me b/c I know what it is like to lose a job and try to replace it.

I also think that we have a responsibility on this forum to give sound advice. For one thing, most potential newcomers who think they will come here w/ some savings and just rent for a while til they find a job - they do not realize that very few rentals are available w/o showing PROOF OF EMPLOYMENT. Things are tough out there. So it is not so easy to just load up the car and the UHaul and head to Charlotte - and hand cash to a rental agent - and secure a place to live.

This could be a very nasty surprise to someone who had assumed that he/she was going to drive to Charlotte (often w/ kids and pets in tow) . . . and stop in at a rental agency and get an apartment the first week here. We need to be telling people this!

And for all who think they can "get temp work" - either thru/ an agency or by working "flipping burgers" or as a "welcome clerk at Wal-Mart" . . . WRONG!!!! Even college kids are having problems find these lower wage jobs!!!! Try applying to Lowes or Home Depot! They have stacks of applicants for jobs that pay $10-15/ hr. I know - cause I have ASKED the Managers what their situations are w/ new hires!

I am not trying to paint a bleak picture of life in CLT. However, there is more scrambling going on for jobs and rentals than the average person would assume. When you go to the grocery store, or to a retail establishment, or to a restaurant - take time to ask the managers what their situations are w/ new hires. People are getting laid off - and if they aren't getting laid off - their hours are often being cut back . . . and even when there are no openings, there are stacks of applications. Please realize - if one is getting employment security checks ("unemployment checks") - one is required to put in applications every week - show proof of job searching activity. So people are putting in applications all over this city. That is a fact . . . and we need to be honest w/ people about the situation here.

The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) is reporting on CLT's economy today. We are under national scrutiny right now b/c of the Wachovia buy out. Yes, we have had a strong economy as compared to many other places in the nation. But this whole country is suffering right now . . . and Charlotte is NO EXCEPTION.

For anyone who HAS A JOB somewhere else . . . or who doesn't have a job and thinks they will find the answer in Charlotte . . . I maintain what I stated earlier: DO NOT COME HERE.

If my saying that has offended anyone . . . that was not my intention. But I am not going to apologize for saying it. It is DAMN GOOD ADVICE.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 AM

91 posts, read 248,229 times
Quote:
Hey Thanks for pointing out my post. You point it out like I'm this huge moron that is going to come down and ruin your economy. Don't worry, your current residents are doing a great job themselves. I'll stay in MA and give the residents here my taxes.

You should move up to MA - you certainly have the negative personality to live here.

I hope you are the exception to the rule of residents in Charlotte.....but thanks for degrading someone because they asked an honest question.

DarinsMom

Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM

12,396 posts, read 7,452,214 times
Quote:

Isn't that just going against the argument? The one poster basically said that they didn't want the girl bringing her Northern way of living to Charlotte. I thought that was supposed to be showing how people get defensive for being told not to come here without a job. But all that page shows is "regulars" getting hostile towards someone who is ok with commuting.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:07 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,199,835 times
ok, so this went sour quick. I saw two issues with ani's original post:

1) the fact that people post about moving here with no job/money, or the concept that they think that's a wise decision. I am not arguing for or against this concept. this is not why I responded to her post.

2) a claim was made in the original post that lots of people said certain things, very specific things, and I wanted to see proof of that, as I personally had not see it before, or saw it differently. THIS was the point of my post.

as for john482's post, well, I really don't have any response to it.
darinsmoms last post, yikes, you certainly didn't help my cause one bit
sundaydrive...thank you. the post that ncgirl referenced I saw go from innocent to an attack, then just plain ugly. sure, if you start reading half way thru, you see the ugliness. if you start reading from the beginning, you see the innocence of the post.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:19 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,302,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I'm not offended loves, but you do need to back your claims in your posts. just seems like some people ("the regulars" as you call them) don't have to follow the rules and post credible links, where others do. In other words, according to the TOS, I'm not supposed to come on this site and say something like, "city-data website is going public, announcing IPO" without posting a link to the source of that info. I guarantee the first response to that would be a request to post links to the news site where this info can be backed up. I'm not defending the poster or person who comes here with no job or no money and then complains about it. as I originally stated, I think it's idiotic for anyone to move somewhere with no money, no job, etc... What I AM saying is, show me the threads where ani is claiming posters defended moving here with no money/no job by saying things like "You all are not welcoming" or "Oh, Southerners. You just don't want newcomers there." Back up the thread, that's all I'm saying.

Oh, and I do beg to differ, you clearly do have ample time on your hands with repetitive posts like this one.
Would have repsonded before now, but I am just really swamped and as it is can't give my response to you the time I'd like. Suffice it to say, you seem to be making a mountain out of a mole hill. Most of us residents post here simply to help newcomers by giving them the most accurate info possible - that is our goal, our "agenda" our intention. After being here for some period of time most days for over two years now I can tell you that things are exactly as Ani described them - too many people believe that just because they want to move here there will be jobs here for them. That is often NOT the case, and we are just trying to help them understand that BEFORE they make a huge financial mistake. In addition to posting on the threads I answer MANY dm's to help many people behind the scenes. I give as much time as I can to those who really want my help. I do not have time to placate you by going to look up links to "prove" what I already know is true. If you don't want to believe us about some of those posters living in LaLa land regarding the job market, I'll just have to live with that.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:56 PM

999 posts, read 4,252,539 times
Was just reading a post from today, and there it is again, that we are "cold" for not welcoming folks with open arms, see post #9:

How is contstruction job market in Charlotte, surrounding areas Flooring contractor looking to relocate Biz from south F

Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,466 times
I just moved here a month ago and haven't gotten a job in my field and am very worried. But I moved from Michigan where I LOST my job. Maybe this state wasn't the best move but it was the right move for me. I realize it's a struggle, but I also realize it's a struggle no matter where I go. I love NC and am glad to be here - even without a job. BUT WOULD LOVE ONE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte