U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:15 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chesneygirl1180 View Post
Amen Ani. I'm so tired of everyone thinking CLT is the "land of opportunity" and that our streets are paved with gold or something. The company I work for just laid off 20 people today, the company across the street just laid off 12. Things are NOT good, and I think everyone needs to know the big picture before charging full steam ahead to come here.
Completely agree.

I cannot help but notice over the last few weeks that the 'banking/finance' people on my street are already home when I get home from work which never was true before. I feel so bad for them. My neighbor is partner at one of the large firms and even they are slow, he is occasionally working half days.

Last edited by mullman; 10-17-2008 at 06:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 01:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Well is RDU better? Or just as bad? How can construction be taking such a hit if people keep moving to all of the NC cities and you have to, as a minimum, build apartments and shopping centers and medical offices....? Over a year ago, I got flown to Houston for a job interview that was ultimately given to a local. So I stayed out West. Wasn't meant to be.

I agree. The few times that I've moved across state lines as an adult, I have set up the job prior to a relocation. That's sensible advice to ANYONE, ANY PLACE and in ANY ECONOMY, so people should take heed.

RDU is closer to the ocean, right? And CLT is closer to the Smokies?
Two contractors that I know of have filed bankruptcy and have houses sitting unsold.

You might check w/ RDU on their forum. They may have better news to share about their region.

No one is saying that you particular posters know to have jobs lined up. We get posts all the time from people who are inquiring if the economy is good enuff for them to take a chance and move here w/o a job. If that doesn't apply to you - why get so upset when those of us who live here try to be honest about the situation here - and say - do not come w/o a job?

Old 10-18-2008, 07:02 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
Well, the Charlotte Observer is reporting today that our unemployment rate has hit at least 7 %. I don't subscribe to the CLT OBS, so I have not read the article - rather, I heard this on CNN this morning. They held up our newspaper (crew here in CLT) and pronounced our job rate for the nation to consider. I hope those of you who are thinking about moving here without a job - or to start a new business - will carefully weigh this info out.

I believe if the figures were broken down into sectors (and I think that can be found on a government website - have not checked it out yet) . . . you will find that some sectors have a higher unemployment rate than 7% - locally - here in CLT. I really do not know about other areas of the state as the 7% number is an aggregate state-wide.

If you are considering coming here w/ a well-capitalized business that will include hiring employees - PLEASE COME. If you have a good business plan - we certainly have the talent here - in many different sectors.

For those of you who think I am somehow being assaultive to "newcomers," I am not going to apologize. I am trying to give solid info. My background is in print media, marketing and advertising, and I have no agenda other than trying to give a realistic picture to families who may decide that Charlotte is a solution . . . and end up here in quite a difficult situation.

Last edited by brokensky; 10-18-2008 at 07:03 AM.. Reason: edit, typo

Old 10-18-2008, 08:49 AM

7,041 posts, read 13,102,313 times
Ani, reading this thread, I also wanted to give you Rep points, but, the system would not allow it.

People, you have GOT to listen to this. Every last little detail might be different in different cases, but, the whole picture is this:

1. Our unemployment ratios are some of the HIGHEST in the entire COUNTRY!
2. We may very well have a large layoff in the financial sector in the next 6-12 months (5-10k people)
3. Our cost of living (except for housing & taxes) is pretty much comparable, if not more than anywhere else in the country
4. Our state gov't does not offer many of the same amenities that other states do for the unemployed; be sure to check that out carefully.

This is the time to check everything out carefully before you make "that move". Being in unfamiliar surroundings, away from family & friends is stressful enough, along with learning a new culture and a new way of doing things, let alone worrying if you can make ends meet and make that rent/mortgage payment or buy enough food for the family. This crisis will pass, but, not anytime real soon...it will take a few years. In the meantime, you can just prepare. Make the provisions so that when you actually do move, you can do it as smoothly and stress-free as possible. If you are in an area that really shows no hope (such as the Detroit area), then, maybe moving somewhere close by that has a better financial outlook might be the first step for you. But, coming almost 1,000 miles in one big jump and expecting utopia probably isn't the wisest move at this point.

Old 10-18-2008, 02:51 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times
Default This is what will happen

to those that don't listen to this good advise.Beware it could be YOU.

YouTube - Bum Fishing at Lowes Motor Speedway, Charlotte, NC

Old 10-15-2009, 10:26 PM

16,990 posts, read 20,588,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Ani, reading this thread, I also wanted to give you Rep points, but, the system would not allow it.

People, you have GOT to listen to this. Every last little detail might be different in different cases, but, the whole picture is this:

1. Our unemployment ratios are some of the HIGHEST in the entire COUNTRY!
2. We may very well have a large layoff in the financial sector in the next 6-12 months (5-10k people)
3. Our cost of living (except for housing & taxes) is pretty much comparable, if not more than anywhere else in the country
4. Our state gov't does not offer many of the same amenities that other states do for the unemployed; be sure to check that out carefully.

This is the time to check everything out carefully before you make "that move". Being in unfamiliar surroundings, away from family & friends is stressful enough, along with learning a new culture and a new way of doing things, let alone worrying if you can make ends meet and make that rent/mortgage payment or buy enough food for the family. This crisis will pass, but, not anytime real soon...it will take a few years. In the meantime, you can just prepare. Make the provisions so that when you actually do move, you can do it as smoothly and stress-free as possible. If you are in an area that really shows no hope (such as the Detroit area), then, maybe moving somewhere close by that has a better financial outlook might be the first step for you. But, coming almost 1,000 miles in one big jump and expecting utopia probably isn't the wisest move at this point.
You can't tell people what they don't want to hear. We are retired and currently living in FL you should see the posts.

I'm starting to think that people who base their whole existence on living in a warmer climate have a lower IQ. People who live up north already complaining about the cooler temps. Well we have been having record heat, do they want to job searches in 95 degree weather???

They seem to have some twisted view of what life is like in a warmer climate. As bad as NC is in regards to unemployment is I believe FL is worse.

Yet like the NC boards they want to move with no job and little savings because they think getting out of the snow is going to make life perfect.

I can stay in the house with the A/C on or wear shorts and tshirts, but
professional working men and women have to dress up. At least in NC they see a break in the weather. We are still in the 90s here and HUMID.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:58 PM

129 posts, read 299,309 times
Ani, your heart is in the right place, sometimes I think others less so.

Last edited by Guy Fawkes; 10-15-2009 at 11:03 PM.. Reason: being nice

Old 10-16-2009, 12:20 AM
am2

413 posts, read 743,619 times
i don't advocate moving somewhere with out a job but i know someone who moved from new Jersey because she didn't wanna be there anymore, whats the diff between being unemployed and renting here and being unemployed and renting there. she found a job!

Old 10-16-2009, 12:40 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,863,834 times
Pretty , pretty , pretty, peachy , peachy , PPPPPPPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAASS SSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE , don't move here without a jobby wobby!!
In spring and fall the cloudless blue sky juxtaposed with bright green/ orange-yellow for the latter may make this area look like a storybook , but this is what is known as reality.
Not trying to be mean , but bet your buttons - LOL - that I am being sarcastic with good intentions.
Then again , as the adage goes , the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,708,887 times
Unemployement in Charlotte is better than in Portland, Oregan and Las Vegas, more destination points. There are many smaller places that have worse unemployment than Charlotte. For example, Grand Rapids, Mi., Toledo, Providence, R.I., Riverside, ca., and many points in Michigan, Illinois, California, and Indiana. The worse places are Detroit, Yuma, and El Centro, Ca.

If you specialize and are looking for work in electronics, plumbing, or mechanics, there are still posibilities. Don't be a total pessimist. Granted, things aren't the best and unemployment is 6 percent worse than normal, but there are still opportunities for those that are above the average. But, check things out. The future is more likely to be better than worse. There are many major corporations that have plans to move to the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte