Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 02:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times

Advertisements

We get asked that question all the time on this forum.

And we keep hearing - "Oh, we will find a job when we get there. No problem. We have money to live off for a while - we can find a job doing something."

Well here is the scoop: Don't be so sure. Our job market is tight and getting tighter.

We give that advice and then we continually hear - "You all are not welcoming" or "Oh, Southerners. You just don't want newcomers there." or "Well, I am different. I have special skills." etc etc

Listen up, people. Businesses are closing. Contracts are being cancelled. And we are getting ready to have some layoffs.

So unless you are coming after getting a job here . . . don't come. Plain and simple. Your degree in whatever doesn't mean a thing if there are no openings.

Healthcare - you may find something. Teaching - not so much. AA jobs, paralegal jobs, construction related jobs, retail jobs, service jobs . . . Uh, no. They aren't here. IT jobs - doubtful, but look b/f you get here - you may find that opening that needs your skills. Financial? Not hardly.

If you don't believe us . . . hey - no problem. Bring the money you got when you cashed out, and buy a new house here - help lower our inventory of houses. Just remember, when you get disgusted 18 months later, that we tried to tell you - DO NOT COME WITHOUT A JOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 03:09 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
Ani, the system won't let me give you any more rep. But I would if I could. I don't know how many times we have to keep saying the same things to people!

Old 10-14-2008, 03:15 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,955,935 times
Don't worry violet I repped her for you.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:30 PM

149 posts, read 536,113 times
Great post. We're "newcomers", and have been hear for 4 years. My husband was transfered in a Bof A acquisition. We met so many people who came with no job. Some planned to find a job, and some sold their house and "retired" at 40, planning to live off of their equity. Sadly, several of these families are in very bad shape. The jobs never came, and the equity didnt last. We know families that whose homes are in forclosure, and some who are working a minimum wage job trying to keep thier heads above water. My heart goes out to them, and at the same time, I always wondered what they THOUGHT would happen.

It was scary at ANY time to come without a job. Doing it at this point in time is crazy.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:24 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Good advise Ani! It seems so cut and dry for us that participate on this board on a daily basis. It must seem like "I'm different" for those that come on for the first time and that's understandable to a point. BUT, for all of those coming on for the first time that think you're different I have two things you might want to consider:

1)The archives (search) are a treasure box of information on CD. You might spend some time in this "library" of information especially if you don't believe what a poster is saying before you make your first post.
2) Very few people, if any, have re-invented the wheel.Give a LOT of credit to those that are trying to help you for no reason other than they enjoy this city and want to share their knowledge.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM

177 posts, read 552,738 times
I agree. Don't come here without a job. Period. This thread should be sticky.

Old 10-14-2008, 04:38 PM

347 posts, read 1,095,072 times
Good points, Anifani821.

And Yes.. this should be a sticky.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:03 PM

172 posts, read 584,629 times
Great post. MY daughter and SIL came here a few years ago. He had a job. She didn't. She was lucky and got a job right away. Of course they had Mom and Dad to "help out" the first couple of months. It was different a few years ago. To come without a job now is really crazy.

Old 10-14-2008, 05:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
ani - Your post should be a sticky in bold red type. I often go on other state forums and see the "I'm going to move to NC for X reasons". Well, that might have worked 3 or 4 years ago, but like many other attractive places across the country, "the bloom is off the rose". Charlotte is no longer the "low-cost land of milk and honey". Chances are, that if you leave an area where you have "steady employment" and come here without a job, you're going to end up worse off than you currently are. Trust ani's statements, jobs are getting few and far between and the current economic situation that affects the area you now live in, affects Charlotte too! No area of the country is immune to the recent downturn and moving from a place where you have a job to one where you don't have one, may turn out to be financial suicide. That grass that always looks "greener" from a distance could turn out to be a nice collection of weeds!

The only demographic group I could recommend moving to the area are retirees that have a steady income. But I have a caveat for them as well. If you have been lucky enough to sell your home in a high cost-area please think carefully about what you purchase. There is no need to spend your entire housing proceeds on a home here. Buy something "appropriate" rather than what you "could" afford, and save some money. No one knows what the future holds and it's alway good to have a little something tucked away for a rainy day!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 10-14-2008 at 06:06 PM..

Old 10-14-2008, 05:49 PM

72 posts, read 238,373 times
Amen Ani. I'm so tired of everyone thinking CLT is the "land of opportunity" and that our streets are paved with gold or something. The company I work for just laid off 20 people today, the company across the street just laid off 12. Things are NOT good, and I think everyone needs to know the big picture before charging full steam ahead to come here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte