U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-14-2008, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 980 times
Default Need advice about nice areas to buy a house

I am relocating from Michigan to the Charlotte area. I will be working in what I think is the Steele Creek area (Steel Creek Road and Westinghouse Blvd). I am married and have a 1 year old baby. We are looking to spend about 200K (hopefully less!) and low crime and good schools are high on our priority list. We would prefer to move into an area with a lot of young people and community or neighborhood activities. I am not very religious, so would prefer not to live in an overly religious area (I like to drink beer and cook out in the backyard). A less than 30 minute commute to work would be ideal.

Some people at the new job have mentioned Tega Cay, Fort Mill, and Rock Hill.

Any opinions/advice that people can give me about these cities and any others areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 PM

221 posts, read 472,445 times
Congrats on your relocation. Your new job will be in the Steele Creek area, and there are plenty of fantastic homes there that will fit in your price range. With a baby, Winget Park is a nice place to play at, and there is a fabulous library on 160 that has story time and music for children. My children LOVE these to places, and we visit often.
Steele Creek is very family friendly and I think that you would enjoy it.

Tega Cay would be a little difficult to find a home in this price range. Fort Mill should offer lots of homes to consider also. Many people are drawn to Fort Mill for their lower taxes, and is a very easy commute to your job. Rock Hill is further out, but you may get more property.

Hope this helps, and you can always ask if you have other questions.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:13 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,026,256 times
On the south side of town, I would consider Landen Meadows and Southampton -- both have neighborhood pools which is a great way to meet other families. Tega Cay can be done -- likely will mean an older home though. Fort Mill is a good suggestion as well.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:41 AM

63 posts, read 170,541 times
i cant specifically answer your question since i live on the north side of town and am not familiar with the area but i wouldn't look too far out as your job location may change. our example was when we moved i had a job in huntersville and my wife could transfer anywhere (with marriott) so we started looking in mooresville. we ended up on the SE side of huntersville and are very thankful since my wife got transfered to south park. its already long enough for her but from mooresville would have been miserable!

obviously you dont wanna sacrifice happiness for a shorter commute but find a good compromise. patti's suggestions sound good and if it were me i would check out that area.

oh, and welcome to the area, its a relief that you like to cook out and not "barbecue" (thats a noun).

Old 10-15-2008, 09:43 AM

44,358 posts, read 54,849,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDaddy View Post
I am relocating from Michigan to the Charlotte area. I will be working in what I think is the Steele Creek area (Steel Creek Road and Westinghouse Blvd). I am married and have a 1 year old baby. We are looking to spend about 200K (hopefully less!) and low crime and good schools are high on our priority list. We would prefer to move into an area with a lot of young people and community or neighborhood activities. I am not very religious, so would prefer not to live in an overly religious area (I like to drink beer and cook out in the backyard). A less than 30 minute commute to work would be ideal.

Some people at the new job have mentioned Tega Cay, Fort Mill, and Rock Hill.

Any opinions/advice that people can give me about these cities and any others areas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

No need to go as far as Rock Hill. Tega Cay may be tough in your price range, though it is a FANTASTIC community. Fort Mill definitely has some options for you with a convenient commute to your job. And lastly, do look in the Steele Creek area itself - there are some nice places there in your price range too and that would give you the quickest commute. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte