U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:50 PM

2,565 posts, read 3,979,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Of course! And ya know . . . if our school system is so crummy here, how come we have some of the best colleges and universities in the country?

Yep, the Bills looked pretty lame . . . bless their hearts.
ani - Funding for colleges and universities are a horse of a different color compared to funding for elementary and high schools. NC, like many other states is much more generous with funding colleges than primary and secondary education. If only elementary schools had those "lovely endowments" all of the kids would be better off! It would be great, if more people "duked" some "alumni" money to their old grammar, middle and high school instead of just writing a check to their old "alma mater"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM

35,578 posts, read 43,814,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
ani - Funding for colleges and universities are a horse of a different color compared to funding for elementary and high schools. NC, like many other states is much more generous with funding colleges than primary and secondary education. If only elementary schools had those "lovely endowments" all of the kids would be better off! It would be great, if more people "duked" some "alumni" money to their old grammar, middle and high school instead of just writing a check to their old "alma mater"!
Well . . . what should be done here in regard to building new facilities is put part of the financial burden on developers who have created large housing projects and thus saturated the area w/ new families and the students that inevitably come w/ that process. The problem here in this region is developers have not had to ante up and the burden has been solely on local government to come up w/ the jack to provide both facilities as well as staff. That is where the problem lies here. Otherwise, tax money is used and those tax dollars would go a lot further if they were supplemented w/ $$ from the developers who profited off the land development.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Well . . . what should be done here in regard to building new facilities is put part of the financial burden on developers who have created large housing projects and thus saturated the area w/ new families and the students that inevitably come w/ that process. The problem here in this region is developers have not had to ante up and the burden has been solely on local government to come up w/ the jack to provide both facilities as well as staff. That is where the problem lies here. Otherwise, tax money is used and those tax dollars would go a lot further if they were supplemented w/ $$ from the developers who profited off the land development.
ani - I agree totally with you on that point. The developers here, get away with "financial murder" and cry poverty if they're asked for anything more than one thin dime for any community support. Maybe I could ask Tony Soprano to pay them and some of the politicians a "little" visit!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:32 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,145,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bills_fan View Post
I forgot many people are slow, I will describe as basic as possible. In New York, Ohio, Michigan there are more teachers than jobs creating a surplus(or excess) forcing people to move and gain experience in other states. North Carolina(Mecklenburg and Gaston) are in dire need of teachers and hire anyone to just fill the spot. Many people they hire have shady backgrounds that do not raise a 'red flag' on the background check because of the dire need to fill teacher spots.

The starting salary for a teacher in Mecklenburg is NOT $42/yr - try $31/yr. The teacher would start higher if they have a Master degree - $35/yr.

In NY there is no such thing as Lateral Entry Teacher. No certification = no job.

I'm trying to clarify the facts that people in the South are brainwashed to believe that Unions are EVIL. Up in the Northeast there are high taxes and unions, both are antibusiness. The teachers unions and some others(plumbers and electricians) police their own. The turn over rate for teacher in the Northeast is less than 5% compared to 50% in CMS - why? Teachers in the South are 'hung out to dry' and the believe is that they are easily replaced. Administrators and Human Resources have predetermined views of people based on where they came from and what school they attended. Those views are then used to 'black ball' a good teacher because they didn't attend the 'proper college'. Parents in the South don't stand up for their childrens education. Unions protect teachers, both good and bad, to help the schools improve. Teaching is like any profession, one only gets better over time with support and aid. The taxes in the North are much higher and people actually question what the money is spent on.

I have many friends who are born and raised in Charlotte(50+yrs old) who say that the schools have always been messed-up. People in the South are not envolved in their childrens education like up in the Northeast.

Quick lesson on life:

The best way to improve a village is to have ALL on the same page. Parents NEED to be involved in schools and support the Teacher and BE PARENTS NOT FRIENDS TO THEIR CHILDREN!!

People in the South need to wake-up and correct problems before they get much worse. Why are there dire needs for Teachers, Police and Fire in Charlotte while in the Northeast people fight tooth and nail to get a position?
The first question that comes to mind is, "Is your posting a joke?" Do you have the faintest idea about teacher union membership? Obviously not. Most teachers are union members. I don't know why unless they are incompetent like many union workers where you probably come from. Have you ever lived in a city with the demographics of Charlotte? How many serious teachers want to work in a school with violent gangs, etc. Many do however.

I have no idea where you get the idea that principles discriminate for reasons such as colleges attended, etc. They may kid or joke around about it but they do not descriminate. Being that you are a union supporter, you may not understand the concept of hiring the most qualified and hardest working person for the job and not elliminating them for not joining a union. As a former teacher and being aware of teaching pay scales, my cousin teaches in Salem, Mass. and she would be making more if she worked in Charlotte. Pay in Charlotte for a teacher ranges from $7-10K per year more than it does in my old school district in Florida. As far as parents getting involved in schools, are you talking about white or other ethnicities? White parents are highly involved in their children's educations. Other races other than Asian are generally not. That is a fact and not a racist statement. I don't know from what you base your statement. Saying that the south is not involved in their children's education as they are in the north is a truly ignorant statement. There are many good schools in the area depending on demographics. It comes along with living in a large, diverse population. You need to visit other large cities before making unvalidated statements.

Also, all North Carolina educators go through the fingerprinting process and are checked out by the FBI. There is an extensive background check done on all teachers. Nobody is "just hired to fill the space" as you contend. You might want to discuss school matters with someone that has actual experience in the area and not someone that is wrong in all matters pertaining to the subject.

It is hard to roll out the red carpet and send out the welcome wagon to anyone with such ridiculous notions about the south.

Last edited by vindaloo; 12-15-2008 at 01:47 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 01:36 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,550 posts, read 6,750,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
The first question that comes to mind is, "Is your posting a joke?" Do you have the faintest idea about teacher union membership? Obviously not. Most teachers are union members. I don't know why unless they are incompetent like many union workers where you probably come from. Have you ever lived in a city with the demographics of Charlotte? How many serious teachers want to work in a school with violent gangs, etc. Many do however.

I have no idea where you get the idea that principles discriminate for reasons such as colleges attended, etc. They may kid or joke around about it but they do not descriminate. Being a union supporter, you may not understand the concept of the best person for the job. Such matters are irrelevant. I retired as a teacher last year. My cousin teaches in Salem, Mass. Schools pay more in Charlotte than in Salem. As far as parents getting involved in schools. Are you talking about white or other ethnicities? White parents are highly involved in most cases. Other races other than Asian are generally not. That is a fact and not a racist statement. I don't know from what you base your statement concerning parental involvement. Saying that the south is not involved in their children's education as they are in the north is a truly ignorant statement. There are many good schools in the area depending on demographics. It comes along with living in a large, diverse population.

It is hard to roll out the red carpet and send out the welcome wagon for people from the north with such ridiculous notions about the south.

Don't you just love the "Quick lesson on life" part after hearing the bs that preceded it?

Old 12-15-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
ani - I agree totally with you on that point. The developers here, get away with "financial murder" and cry poverty if they're asked for anything more than one thin dime for any community support. Maybe I could ask Tony Soprano to pay them and some of the politicians a "little" visit!
Well, I think there has been some hanky panky behind the scenes w/ at least one of our elected officials (who didn't run this last election) but since I don't have the facts, I can't very well state that for fact. Let's just say . . . when someone is in construction/development and his buds are in construction/development . . . you can't help but wonder if Meck came out the loser b/c of missed opportunities and regs that could have been put in place but deliberately were not . . . and permits that were issued when they shouldn't have been (poor planning but profitable for the developers). I just can't believe the citizens here have not pushed for more innovative ways to raise funds for our school system. (And the media - forget it - biased as well as lame). This goes for neighboring counties, as well.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,551,194 times
Being up North I also find that SC is becoming popular, even more popular than NC.

Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Well, I think there has been some hanky panky behind the scenes w/ at least one of our elected officials (who didn't run this last election) but since I don't have the facts, I can't very well state that for fact. Let's just say . . . when someone is in construction/development and his buds are in construction/development . . . you can't help but wonder if Meck came out the loser b/c of missed opportunities and regs that could have been put in place but deliberately were not . . . and permits that were issued when they shouldn't have been (poor planning but profitable for the developers). I just can't believe the citizens here have not pushed for more innovative ways to raise funds for our school system. (And the media - forget it - biased as well as lame). This goes for neighboring counties, as well.
It's even worse in Union County, where just up to the recent election, 3 out of the 5 county commissioners were developers or connected to real estate in one way or another. Regulations that limit growth until the infrastructure can catch up are sorely needed. I suspect that the economic downturn will help with that a bit, but then again, during times like this, practically nothing may get done!

Old 12-15-2008, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It's even worse in Union County, where just up to the recent election, 3 out of the 5 county commissioners were developers or connected to real estate in one way or another. Regulations that limit growth until the infrastructure can catch up are sorely needed. I suspect that the economic downturn will help with that a bit, but then again, during times like this, practically nothing may get done!
You and I are thinking the same exact thing, Em.

And we also see the inherent problem w/ people getting elected to public office who may have vested interest in what regs get on the books . . . Voters need to wake up and start connecting the dots . . . It is OUR TAX MONEY!!!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:29 PM

739 posts, read 1,527,400 times
Also, all North Carolina educators go through the fingerprinting process and are checked out by the FBI. There is an extensive background check done on all teachers.

As well as the volunteers in the school. I can say firsthand my school district in MD did not ever do that. You could just volunteer and that was it. Here you need to fill out app get approved then you can volunteer among activities involving the kids. I love that about NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte