U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:03 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,147,825 times

Advertisements

Well, I love CHI and NYC. There is no comparison to either of those cities with ANY other city - surely not Charlotte!

But I stand by what I said: I have run into quite a few people from NY, especially, who seem to think we are all hicks down here . . . and that employers should fall over themselves b/c they are finally getting some real TALENT and some EDUCATED EMPLOYEES. I think those attitudes change after while (if people stay here) b/c they come to recognize that everyone here is NOT a country rube and indeed, we have some fine colleges and universities here . . . and just b/c a coworker may have a Southern accent . . . they are not stupid.

I didn't mean to insinuate that everyone who moves here feels that way . . . but I even have a family member (by marriage) who thinks Charlotte is a backwater full of idiots. So I have dealt w/ that condescending attitude in the workplace . . . as well as in my living room. I daresay most of you know exactly what type of attitude I am talking about. Likewise, I am sure there are Southerners who automatically think . . . Oh NO . . . I hear an NYC accent . . . here come the insults . . .

Not saying it doesn't work both ways . . . all people are capable of having prejudices and clinging to stereotypes.

My point w/ mentioning that condescending attitude was to say . . . people come here thinking they will get a job, i.e., will be chosen over a stack of other applicants b/c they are f/ NYC and are better educated and employers will jump all over themselves to hire them. They come here and find there is lots of competition - and shock sets in. I was pointing this out to emphasize - DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB.

I didn't mean to insult any of my CD compatriots, all of whom are valued members of the community and who only want everyone to have a good life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 PM

4,296 posts, read 6,271,120 times
New Yorkers have fled to all the states in the US. I've seen post for New Yorkers looking to move to places like Alaska, Colorado, Alabama, Georgia, The Carolinas, even California. North Carolina isn't getting all the transplants, a lot of metros are actually competing through advertisement in the Northeast to get people to move down. Just search on Youtube, the commercials are along the lines of "Come to NC" "Jobs Grow on Trees" "Homes are Cheap" etc. Kind of like a cheesy timeshare advert.

Obama says he'll create 3 million jobs his first couple months in office so lets just wait and see what happens. We may see quite a few changes these next few years, but lack of transplants is not one of them.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:21 PM

21,968 posts, read 27,252,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I love CHI and NYC. There is no comparison to either of those cities with ANY other city - surely not Charlotte!

But I stand by what I said: I have run into quite a few people from NY, especially, who seem to think we are all hicks down here . . . and that employers should fall over themselves b/c they are finally getting some real TALENT and some EDUCATED EMPLOYEES. I think those attitudes change after while (if people stay here) b/c they come to recognize that everyone here is NOT a country rube and indeed, we have some fine colleges and universities here . . . and just b/c a coworker may have a Southern accent . . . they are not stupid.

I didn't mean to insinuate that everyone who moves here feels that way . . . but I even have a family member (by marriage) who thinks Charlotte is a backwater full of idiots. So I have dealt w/ that condescending attitude in the workplace . . . as well as in my living room. I daresay most of you know exactly what type of attitude I am talking about. Likewise, I am sure there are Southerners who automatically think . . . Oh NO . . . I hear an NYC accent . . . here come the insults . . .

Not saying it doesn't work both ways . . . all people are capable of having prejudices and clinging to stereotypes.

My point w/ mentioning that condescending attitude was to say . . . people come here thinking they will get a job, i.e., will be chosen over a stack of other applicants b/c they are f/ NYC and are better educated and employers will jump all over themselves to hire them. They come here and find there is lots of competition - and shock sets in. I was pointing this out to emphasize - DO NOT COME HERE WITHOUT A JOB.

I didn't mean to insult any of my CD compatriots, all of whom are valued members of the community and who only want everyone to have a good life here.
Ani, you are correct about the attitude. South Jersey & Philly are the 1st stop for NYers who don't want to assimilate. All they see is cheaper real estate & 100 miles from home. They come in & tell us to our faces that we are backwater idiots, not as well educated, everything that you said, & more. I'm out of here at the end of the month, so I no longer care.

So, the answer to the OP is that they may continue to go to Charlotte, but it's not the only place that will get those people.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:36 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,788,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, you are correct about the attitude. South Jersey & Philly are the 1st stop for NYers who don't want to assimilate. All they see is cheaper real estate & 100 miles from home. They come in & tell us to our faces that we are backwater idiots, not as well educated, everything that you said, & more. I'm out of here at the end of the month, so I no longer care.

So, the answer to the OP is that they may continue to go to Charlotte, but it's not the only place that will get those people.
I agree with both of you

and I know a few personally who think "oh my is cheap down there, or have the notion it is..I understand completely Ani what your saying and again you are right

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 PM

743 posts, read 2,027,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

Oh Ani there are times I feel stupid compared to some of my co workers--and most of them are from Fort Mill/Rock Hill. It doesn't matter where you are from, it has to do with how well you learn and expand your knowledge. Plus just because you have a college degree does not mean you are any smarter than the "hick" next door, he just may not have paid thousands of dollars for a paper saying he is smart. I have to agree with your post.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 PM

Thanks for your posts, Berry, SBound and MD/NC . . . I was worried I had hurt feelings so thank you for letting me know you understood what I was trying to say.

I would like to add . .. anyone who wants to move here and start a business and hire some of us . . . PLEASE COME ON DOWN!!!!!! We have a list of things we would like to see moved from NY to NC . . . starting w/ more bakeries . . . and more Italian food . . .

Old 10-15-2008, 11:27 PM

6 posts, read 7,615 times
See that is the thing that people from the south don't understand is that the north has a dieing economy. So for the most part if you are from anywhere in the north you are more than likely better off packing up your stuff hoping that someone will give you a job. As you have a better chance here of getting hired than you would up there even if you knew someone in the company you were applying too.

As for me I get mixed reactions as I grew up part of my life in the south and the other half in the north. But when I was done with school I knew that I had to leave the north as well did my fiancee as she is a teacher and she was the one who had a job. As for people migrating down in droves you have to look at where they are coming from and why they are leaving. Its not that many of us are listening to all the hype that Charlotte or any other city for that fact is a great place to be. It is the fact that our friends and the media make it sound like its a great idea to move. If I knew I had a better chance to get a job in Idaho than I did here and thats where companies where moving where do you think people would move. People move with the market.

Yes people complain and stereotype people but we all do it at some point or another. It just has to do with who we are. We all want things to be a certain way and we will believe what ever we hear or see to be the truth, until we learn other wise. But much of it is due to the fact that we just miss parts of where we came from and that we just wish that we could have some of those things back. I mean I cuoldnt wait to move back down here and eat some boiled peanuts because all my friends up north think I am crazy when I say that. So yes there are those of us who mock the south and the people from here but the road goes both ways. I get stereotyped all the time when you tell someone that you are from NY the automatically think your from NYC. NY is 1000000 times bigger than NYC could ever be and there are way more parts to it than just that. I am from a small town in NY where if I told you where it was you would be like where is that and then I could tell you the next biggest town/city and you would be like where. So again when people assume things it just makes everyone look like an arshole. I know that there are people out there that truly hate "YANKEES" and there are other that really have "Southerners" or "confederates". And that Brings me to another people why do people from the south call people from the north Yankees and usually meaning someone from NY. Because the word actually means a person from above the mason dixon line and there are plenty of people from all over from above that line. I know that I dont walk around calling everyone a "confederate" because your from the south. Just treat the people that you meet as people who really cares where they are from. Yes we all may sound a little different but thats okay we are all here trying to live just like the next guy not steal your job or take over your city or state you would do the same if the shoe was on the other foot.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:53 AM

14 posts, read 18,977 times
I have not lived in NC for many years though originally I am from Durham. I now live in Central New York and work as a marketing director for a subsidiary of a bank. I have entertained myself regularly here watching my business contacts react to my accent as though because I am from the south, I must be backwoods, ignorant and unable to move at their pace. I will sit back and allow the "Businessmen of Manhattan" to pretend that they are educating me on the "right way" of doing business and then truly enjoy the look on their faces as they begin to realize I actually can have half a brain and a southern accent. It is entertaining if not much else.

Old 11-08-2008, 01:54 PM

201 posts, read 857,544 times
Ugh. I'm so sick of generalities. A person in any state in the US has the right to move to any other state...and not all "Yankees" are bad, and not all Southerners are giving out that famed southern hospitality. It goes both ways, and if someone is bothered by the fact that there are too many NYers here for you, you are free to move to NY...no problem. I think people project their own insecurities and blame situations on the fact that oh, this must be a NYer or Yankee showing me how it's really done...how about it's just the pace that NYers are used to working out and it's not condescending...

Oh, and BTW, I'm a former attorney from NY that can't get any type of paralegal or legal secty or assistant job or any job from that matter...so my own personal feeling is that I'm not being hired bc I'm a NYer if you want my honest opinion (just that...an opinion)...but of course, there really could be no worse time to job hunt than now...so enough with the schpeal about NYers coming here and wanting to educate on show you how it done. People are people and we all have distinct personalities...

Old 11-08-2008, 04:18 PM

MoreMoreMore . . . evidently, you have misunderstood why the natives get upset w/ newcomers. It is not so simple as "Yankees are bad." In fact, that is a stupid thing to assume. What upsets locals is that we did not send out an engraved invite saying "Come to paradise, where you can get cheap housing and lower taxes and the Perfect Life." Yet, we have newcomers show up b/c of the cheaper housing and lower taxes . . . and they EXPECT this "perfect life." Then they get upset and disparage the culture, our accents, the schools, WHATEVER . . . and the locals have no sympathy whatsoever, b/c we didn't beg people to come here to begin with.

The other problem has been, newcomers arrive and then complain about the crowded schools, crowded roads . . . and we think . . . uh, how did the infrastructure get strained? B/c of newcomers.

So it is not as simple as "Yankees are bad." Actually, obnoxious Yankees are embarrassing to other newcomers from above the Mason Dixon line.

And as far as getting a job . . . attorneys are a dime a dozen here. We have Duke, Carolina, Wake, Campbell, etc and we have no shortage of attorneys or paralegals here. Why don't you consider doing some pro bono work to get your name around and meet other attorneys?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or