U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 07:08 PM

7,104 posts, read 9,696,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Please elaborate.
Surprised in that you must know that the term/definition is demeaning.So, when you question CJ about your take on the word and "what did I say that incorrect" you are either throwing another log on the already lit fire (flame) or you truly don't know the definition of the word. (easy to correct BTW..just need to Google).

As has been said before..your decision to like or dislike who every you want but do you really want to start another war with demeaning words like "carpetbagger"?

je
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 07:19 PM

549 posts, read 1,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Surprised in that you must know that the term/definition is demeaning.So, when you question CJ about your take on the word and "what did I say that incorrect" you are either throwing another log on the already lit fire (flame) or you truly don't know the definition of the word. (easy to correct BTW..just need to Google).

As has been said before..your decision to like or dislike who every you want but do you really want to start another war with demeaning words like "carpetbagger"?

je
And yet even with Google how was it so easy for you to be wrong? I was using a modern, rather than historical, definition of carpetbagger. Merrian-Webster defines carpetbagger as "a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics." I'd say that is an accurate description of the majority of yankee interlopers who have moved to the Old North State during the past 10 or 15 years.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:48 AM

Default Yeah right.

Quote:
And yet even with Google how was it so easy for you to be wrong? I was using a modern, rather than historical, definition of carpetbagger. Merrian-Webster defines carpetbagger as "a nonresident or new resident who seeks private gain from an area often by meddling in its business or politics." I'd say that is an accurate description of the majority of yankee interlopers who have moved to the Old North State during the past 10 or 15 years.
Well, since you think it's "so easy for me to be wrong", I'll leave this discussion for other people that might be smarter than me in reading a "modern" dictionary.

Quite honestly, I have more important things to do today than playing word games with you. In addition, I could care less whether you use the "historical" or "modern" definition" of the word because I follow some "historical" advise in situations that are open to interpetation:

"The letter killeth but the Spirit giveth life" Chew on that today while I play golf.Scheeze, what a way to start a day.

Paz
je

Old 11-10-2008, 05:08 AM

549 posts, read 1,561,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johne482 View Post
Well, since you think it's "so easy for me to be wrong", I'll leave this discussion for other people that might be smarter than me in reading a "modern" dictionary.

Quite honestly, I have more important things to do today than playing word games with you. In addition, I could care less whether you use the "historical" or "modern" definition" of the word because I follow some "historical" advise in situations that are open to interpetation:

"The letter killeth but the Spirit giveth life" Chew on that today while I play golf.Scheeze, what a way to start a day.

Paz
je
a) Thanks for owning up to the fact that I'm smarter than you.

b) I believe that you mean to write that you "couldn't" care less. It's a common mistake.

c) You meant to write "advice" instead of advise. We live in the US, not the UK.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:00 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,752,740 times
Let me add, it doesnt matter whether its charlotte or tim buck too, the bottom line is Northerners or anyone else for that matter have been coming here and other places for quite some time now...you only noticing it more because of the population growing...with that being said john is correct, and P your intilted to your opinion however please dont insult someone's intellengance...Another point Id like to make is Not everyone has a choice to relocate and for those transffered they need to make the best out of it and if they arent happy and moving from the North please dont go and trash what your not happy with as there are alot of people who are...it is also an unfair comparision to compare up North to Charlotte so just embrace what is here while your here, and for those that move here simply because its "cheap" the things that matter certainly are like housing and such, but there are also extra taxes you dont pay up north..but again you wont be happy if it solely based on a Financial Decision...and Lastely, Brian's post was right on the money....

Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 AM

35,885 posts, read 66,998,726 times
We just need to put this Carpetbagger tag to rest. Really.

Palmetto Heel is correct. There are modern Carpetbaggers. But there always have been. The resentment comes in b/c Southerners rarely move to the North to "take advantage" of economic situations there, so when Northerners move here to do that, it is often seen as distasteful. Now that is the truth.

However, I tend to take the Scarlett O'Hara approach, if you will. In Margaret Mitchell's novel, we see Scarlett in Reconstruction Atlanta, taking advantage of the new building by buying a lumber mill and selling her products "to the Yankees." There were Southerners who were angry that Scarlett was doing business with Carpetbaggers, but I thought Scarlett was damn smart . . . she saw where the opportunities were and she wanted to make sure she managed a financial recovery by becoming part of the business trend. I won't comment on Scarlett's business methods . . . but her attitude was correct - the war was over . . . time to move on. The locals criticized her for her friendships w/ Yankees who had moved to ATL to make money . . . but seems to me that the South, brought to its knees economically after the war, was dependent on infusion of $$ from whomever was willing to come to the region and put the cash on the barrelhead, so to speak.

So yes, newcomers have been coming to the South and taking advantage of the economic situation here for centuries. One could argue that my ancestors came here and bought reasonably priced land and so they were taking advantage of the economic situation in the South in the 1700s.

My point is . . . John asked . . . will transplants continue coming here? Yes, they will. As long as the South has something to offer to the rest of the country (indeed, the world), there will be newcomers.

There are those of us who do resent that our indigenous industries - textiles and furniture - have been "lost" - due to major corporate buyouts and "sell outs" by those stakeholders by outsourcing goods production, leading to the shut down of mills and factories that had been employing NC residents since the 19th Century. We see "outsiders" as having caused this collapse.

But it is what it is. And now, we need to work together to keep our economy moving forward.

As CouponJack said . . . and as John has protested . . . it is really not helpful to any of us to disparage newcomers who are arriving and bringing business, employing citizens, adding to our economy, etc. I think it is valid to request that newcomers respect the natives and if they whine and complain, they are going to find themselves excluded socially here, at least by the natives.

This is not my Grandma's state, nor county, nor city. Change can be good. It just depends how that change is managed. Let's work together, natives and newcomers alike, to build the best city (and county and region) possible. Doing that requires a psychological buy-in and an emotional commitment to this region as HOME - by all involved. We need to work together to come up w/ the best ideas for improving our infrastructure and securing jobs here. We are not going to progress and stay a vital, economically healthy region if we focus on division and resentment for one another.

So to answer John's question . . . yes, newcomers will continue the exodus here as long as there are opportunities here. As Berry and Brian have stated - sometimes, people move here b/c of job transfers or job opportunities. The big mistake would be, as they point out, moving here simply b/c "things are cheaper." That is NOT an emotional commitment to an area as HOME.

This region is not perfect; I personally prefer a larger, more robust urban type city!!! But I moved "back home" and I am here to stay (unless something unforeseen occurs in the coming years). It is easy to complain; it takes some effort to become involved and try to make things work for the betterment of the whole region and everyone who lives here.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:36 AM

14,693 posts, read 23,068,833 times
Quote:
Interlopers is a much more demeaning term than carpetbagger. I have found a lot of help on this forum but also think that a lot of the "natives" act like you own the joint and it should never change. We are all Americans and shouldn't think of things as North/South.

Also...what is this thing...with the three dots...between every few words...?

Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 AM

7,928 posts, read 17,752,740 times
Once again Ani awesome statement and very well put

Old 11-10-2008, 09:46 AM

897 posts, read 2,568,489 times
Current OH resident here wanting to add my two cents
I have lived in Charlotte before and I get questioned about the are alot.

I am posting because this subject has come up alot recently for me. First off, I am a native Southerner that did move North (OH) for higher income. DH is in HR for a major accting operation, no one wanted to relocate to Columbus or Detroit, so we did. We picked Columbus and are happy that we did. Love it here. Seems everyone wants to be South - still.

That being said, I have met alot of people that question me about living in the South - especially NC. Everyone I meet loves NC and that is their dream destination. We have friends and family still there so we know that economic times are not ideal there either. I have warned folks not to move without a good paying, secure job. The other thing is the housing factor. Our housing prices are dropping and with the shear number of homes on the market and foreclosures it is extemely difficut to sell a home much less get $$ out of the sale.

Still, when I caution folks about moving without a job, I get a ton of excuses. I also get this attitude like I am trying to be doom & gloom and my comments are totally disregarded. I am just trying to be honest about the current state of the economy and how moving without EVERYTHING in proper order is a huge mistake.

With economy and jobless rate like it is, migration South has to slow for the time being. Things have changed and fast. Our economy has to turn around and it is probably going to take a good, long time. Just the facts.

I posted something just this morning on CD OH about someone wanting to move because the economy is bad here and they just want out. Curious to see what the response is to my post. It's just not as easy as it was just a year ago ...

Old 11-10-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
a) Thanks for owning up to the fact that I'm smarter than you.

b) I believe that you mean to write that you "couldn't" care less. It's a common mistake.

c) You meant to write "advice" instead of advise. We live in the US, not the UK.
My response to your comments can be viewed in your DM.Kindly take the advise in the message.

Ta, Ta
John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or