Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Interlopers is a much more demeaning term than carpetbagger. I have found a lot of help on this forum but also think that a lot of the "natives" act like you own the joint and it should never change. We are all Americans and shouldn't think of things as North/South.

Also...what is this thing...with the three dots...between every few words...?
First of all, if you don't like my style . . . block my posts. This is the third or fourth time you have mentioned " . . . " and I find it interesting that you are so fixated on my use of ellipses. When I feel like using it, I will, LOL!!!!! And btw - the proper use is to SPACE in between periods, wh/ you don't seem to know to do.

Secondly, you need a big attitude adjustment. You don't want any of the "natives" accusing you of "changing things," and then you decide to lecture us about how things shouldn't be "North/South." You just helped make Palmetto's Point about how Northerners come here and decide they have the right to dictate how things will be . . . and then stand in judgment of everyone who doesn't agree.

Last edited by brokensky; 11-10-2008 at 11:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
Default moderator note

debate topics and not each other please

Thanks

Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,609,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Still, when I caution folks about moving without a job, I get a ton of excuses. I also get this attitude like I am trying to be doom & gloom and my comments are totally disregarded. I am just trying to be honest about the current state of the economy and how moving without EVERYTHING in proper order is a huge mistake.

With economy and jobless rate like it is, migration South has to slow for the time being. Things have changed and fast. Our economy has to turn around and it is probably going to take a good, long time.
I don't understand why ANYONE would move ANYWHERE without a job lined up first. My friend just moved to FL without a job lined up and is in the same situation.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:57 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Current OH resident here wanting to add my two cents
I have lived in Charlotte before and I get questioned about the are alot.

I am posting because this subject has come up alot recently for me. First off, I am a native Southerner that did move North (OH) for higher income. DH is in HR for a major accting operation, no one wanted to relocate to Columbus or Detroit, so we did. We picked Columbus and are happy that we did. Love it here. Seems everyone wants to be South - still.

That being said, I have met alot of people that question me about living in the South - especially NC. Everyone I meet loves NC and that is their dream destination. We have friends and family still there so we know that economic times are not ideal there either. I have warned folks not to move without a good paying, secure job. The other thing is the housing factor. Our housing prices are dropping and with the shear number of homes on the market and foreclosures it is extemely difficut to sell a home much less get $$ out of the sale.

Still, when I caution folks about moving without a job, I get a ton of excuses. I also get this attitude like I am trying to be doom & gloom and my comments are totally disregarded. I am just trying to be honest about the current state of the economy and how moving without EVERYTHING in proper order is a huge mistake.

With economy and jobless rate like it is, migration South has to slow for the time being. Things have changed and fast. Our economy has to turn around and it is probably going to take a good, long time. Just the facts.

I posted something just this morning on CD OH about someone wanting to move because the economy is bad here and they just want out. Curious to see what the response is to my post. It's just not as easy as it was just a year ago ...
Keep trying to spread the word - even if some people just won't listen. We run into that frequently here too. We warn everyone not to move without first securing a job or risk financial ruin, but some folks just think we are trying to rain on their parade. Please keep explaining to them how high our unemployment numbers are (7%) and that there is much competition for the available jobs. We just don't need more people here adding to the stiff competition. Glad to hear you are happy with your choice of Columbus, proving there are other places for people to find happiness besides NC!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:20 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,701,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
PH, it seemed like the thread was civil and then boom, you throw a demeaning term in there.

Look, I'm fine w/you not liking northerners, that's your perogative. You've stated that before. I just thought we were getting past terms like carpetbaggers and rednecks and stuff like that when its used in a demeaning way...

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting about this, maybe you weren't labeling everyone w/a broad brush....you'd have to tell us.

Agreeded and I would love to get back on topic and to receive some INTELLIGENT responses to my OP.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:53 PM

201 posts, read 968,282 times
No Ani....I think I do get it...I'm not quite as "stupid" ... I'm going to leave it alone bc I really just don't see the point of this type of debate...guess I shouldn't have replied then LOL...I do want to mention that, not necessarily in this thread, I do feel a lot of generalized anti-yankee/transplant sentiment...(and what's funny is that I haven't experienced any in person)...SOME of it is understandable bc it is natural to want to be protective of your home...

Way to go Palmetto Heel...good zinger...pat yourself on the back for that one...

Brian- you're quite right but I do want to ad that on the whole, I rather like it here e/t housing and finances were a big part (not only part) of our decision to move...so moving here for financial reasons doesn't automatically mean unhappiness of course....unfortunately, finances are usually a main motivating factor in life...

South/Ani....you can't practice law (even pro bono) in a different state unless you wave in/take the bar...in any event, that career is long behind me! To be honest, I wanted to work with animals...Getting hired is another story all together...I knew it would take a while and I knew it was ok...but I do really want to re-enter the workforce at some point...starting to feel like a shut in

Last edited by moremoremore; 11-10-2008 at 03:05 PM..

Old 11-10-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
No Ani....I think I do get it...I'm not quite as "stupid" ... I'm going to leave it alone bc I really just don't see the point of this type of debate...guess I shouldn't have replied then LOL...

Way to go Palmetto Heel...good zinger...pat yourself on the back for that one...

Brian- you're quite right but I do want to ad that on the whole, I rather like it here e/t housing and finances were a big part (not only part) of our decision to move...so moving here for financial reasons doesn't automatically mean unhappiness of course....

South/Ani....you can't practice law (even pro bono) in a different state unless you wave in/take the bar...in any event, that career is long behind me! To be honest, I wanted to work with animals...Getting hired is another story all together...I knew it would take a while and I knew it was ok...but I do really want to re-enter the workforce at some point...starting to feel like a shut in
The last thing I want to do here is push someone away so if I have managed to do that, then I apologize.

Many of us on this forum have gone out of our way to help others secure employment . . . and I personally would be happy to assist you if I had more info. Southbound had the same good intentions I did, I am sure, as we know how awful it is to arrive somewhere and have no steady income.

I do have contacts w/ attorneys and law firms in the region and would be glad to assist you w/ your job search, but truly, I do not know of anyone w/ openings. I also have a sister who has a degree in international business and is enrolled in a paralegal program and is finding out that the jobs dont really seem to be out there right now. And she is a native, well-connected and very employable . . . so I honestly do not think your inability to find the right position is b/c you are not from here. Please remember - less than 1/3 of the residents in CLT are actually from CLT.

If there is some way we can help you w/ a job search, why don't you post a new thread and let's see how we can help.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM

201 posts, read 968,282 times
It's cool Ani....Thanks so much for the offer...Now is just a horrible time in general....and of course, less transactions in the work place = less need for lawyers = less need for paralegals...But I have to say that there are some...SOME....jobs that I was SUPER duper qualified for...and not even a nibble...I guess it's volume...part of me does wonder if it's bc I'm a NYer...

Old 11-10-2008, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
It's cool Ani....Thanks so much for the offer...Now is just a horrible time in general....and of course, less transactions in the work place = less need for lawyers = less need for paralegals...But I have to say that there are some...SOME....jobs that I was SUPER duper qualified for...and not even a nibble...I guess it's volume...part of me does wonder if it's bc I'm a NYer...
I honestly would be very surprised if it were b/c you are a NYer. Many of my friends here (as well as neighbors) are from NYC or upstate NY and honestly - they don't seem to have problems w/ finding jobs (well - haven't until now - all of them have been here longer than me - and I moved back in 2002).

I think everyone is gonna have a problem finding a job - with the exception being healthcare. I know this may sound lame - but have you considered applying at hospitals in the business department? Also, can't you get a job w/ JD on your resume - w/o being a member of the bar here? I mean - don't some departments want legal-type assistance but you wouldn't actually be "practicing law?" Again - maybe I am way off here . . .

Old 11-10-2008, 04:32 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
The last thing I want to do here is push someone away so if I have managed to do that, then I apologize.

Many of us on this forum have gone out of our way to help others secure employment . . . and I personally would be happy to assist you if I had more info. Southbound had the same good intentions I did, I am sure, as we know how awful it is to arrive somewhere and have no steady income.

I do have contacts w/ attorneys and law firms in the region and would be glad to assist you w/ your job search, but truly, I do not know of anyone w/ openings. I also have a sister who has a degree in international business and is enrolled in a paralegal program and is finding out that the jobs dont really seem to be out there right now. And she is a native, well-connected and very employable . . . so I honestly do not think your inability to find the right position is b/c you are not from here. Please remember - less than 1/3 of the residents in CLT are actually from CLT.

If there is some way we can help you w/ a job search, why don't you post a new thread and let's see how we can help.
Ani, you're right, I meant no harm. I assumed that moremoremore had passed the bar in NC & was actively looking for a job as a lawyer. I was wrong to assume.

I'm coming at this from a different point than most people. Because I worked as a broadcast tech for so many years (no job in broadcasting is really stable.) I learned long ago that when the economy takes a nose dive, to just take any old job & then when the economy is better, put a spin on it, use it to get a better job, & then drop the unrelated job from my resume.

As other people have stated, people will continue to come down when & if their houses sell elsewhere, but if they have their hearts set on one type of job, they will be sadly disappointed, here or elsewhere.

I have plans that include self-employment, but this is not the time for that. I'm not opposed to getting my hands dirty, so when I get settled, I'll take what's available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte