U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:30 PM

7,109 posts, read 9,741,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills_fan View Post
The unskilled factory workers bring the work ethic that most southern people lack. There are so many trust funded people in Charlotte that it blows the average person's mind. Many of the people in Meyer Park never had to work for anything due to massive amounts of family wealth. High schools in the North educate people to gain employment and the quality parallels that of a southern community college. There are great universities in the South, but the high schools need help. After teaching in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and Gaston County Schools, I can admit there are some serious problems.

Why is the South so anti-union? Unions only build better and stronger communities.
Dumbing this post down: Where do these (you!) people come from??? Like how many cracks in the wall can there be that would house this many nut jobs?

Well, lets look at the bright side. . . I don't have any kids in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school whose minds you containimated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:37 PM

21,994 posts, read 27,293,559 times
Quote:
The unskilled factory workers bring the work ethic that most southern people lack. There are so many trust funded people in Charlotte that it blows the average person's mind. Many of the people in Meyer Park never had to work for anything due to massive amounts of family wealth. High schools in the North educate people to gain employment and the quality parallels that of a southern community college. There are great universities in the South, but the high schools need help. After teaching in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools and Gaston County Schools, I can admit there are some serious problems.

Why is the South so anti-union? Unions only build better and stronger communities.
Excuse me, but where do you get off writing something like this? This is the kind of elitist drivel that gives a bad name to northerners.

First off, I have a college degree, & I have worked skilled technical labor jobs that included factory work, at times, for years. A lot of jobs that most people think are unskilled labor need education beyond high school, nowdays. I'm a Yankee.

I know a native who worked 2 full-time jobs for years to make sure that his kids had whatever they needed. That sounds like a better work ethic than any northern men I've known.

I think union attitudes are up to individuals. I belonged to an IBEW local for many years & it was great. It was merged into a larger local that was crooked as the day is long.

I don't know why you are making these judgemental, negative posts but they are not directly related to the OP's question. The question is, will people keep coming, & we've all pretty well established that the answer is yes. The question is not how many ways can you slam the locals. if you want to do that, start your own thread.

Last edited by southbound_295; 11-16-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 PM

549 posts, read 1,565,819 times
Quote:

Translation: I'm an underpaid teacher and I'm jealous of my students' trust funds.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:32 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
If newcomers are staying away from the South b/c we are not inundated w/ Unions, then that is a good thing. Look at the auto industry. Unions have killed it whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Plain and simple. My opinion and I will not change it so argue if you must.

The original post re: whether or not people will continue coming here. I do think the Union question fits into that query - as some people who are in certain trades are used to guaranteed incomes and bennies b/c of belonging to a Union. Michigan will stand to lose about 130,000 if the auto industry goes bankrupt. So . . . how did that work for those employees? And for the state of Michigan? And for the taxpayers picking up the tab for social programs, such as food stamps, Medicaid, etc - for unemployed people?

Thank God the South has not been inundated w/ Unions or we would be in the same position as states all over this country that have been strong armed by Unions.

And where are those workers fleeing? Hmmm. To the South. And complaining about Unions - the very system that has ruined the industries where they are living now. Not saying all Unions are evil (if I were a screenwriter, I would be required to belong to a Union). But figure it out for yourselves - it doesn't take a genius to see what Unions have done to the Auto Industry.

And it slays me that the people who are so pro-Union are now moving HERE and WHINING.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:34 AM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
If newcomers are staying away from the South b/c we are not inundated w/ Unions, then that is a good thing. Look at the auto industry. Unions have killed it whether anyone wants to admit it or not. Plain and simple. My opinion and I will not change it so argue if you must.

The original post re: whether or not people will continue coming here. I do think the Union question fits into that query - as some people who are in certain trades are used to guaranteed incomes and bennies b/c of belonging to a Union. Michigan will stand to lose about 130,000 if the auto industry goes bankrupt. So . . . how did that work for those employees? And for the state of Michigan? And for the taxpayers picking up the tab for social programs, such as food stamps, Medicaid, etc - for unemployed people?

Thank God the South has not been inundated w/ Unions or we would be in the same position as states all over this country that have been strong armed by Unions.

And where are those workers fleeing? Hmmm. To the South. And complaining about Unions - the very system that has ruined the industries where they are living now. Not saying all Unions are evil (if I were a screenwriter, I would be required to belong to a Union). But figure it out for yourselves - it doesn't take a genius to see what Unions have done to the Auto Industry.

And it slays me that the people who are so pro-Union are now moving HERE and WHINING.

Ani, as usual, THANK YOU for taking the time to write this so that I didn't have to

Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,729,967 times
Bills Fan, Concerning your strange views of union excellence, I would like to furnish the following data from the U.S. Department of Labor:

The U.S. Department of Labor has shown that on a scale of 350 (considering same-industry labor productivity) North Carolina is the most productive of the 10 largest industrial states with 318 points followed by Texas with 280 points. There are only two southern states that are in the 10 largest industrial states category.
After Texas comes Indiana with 247, New York with 241, Ohio with 238, and at the end of the big 10 list were New Jersey with 218 points and Michigan with 206.
Foreign manufactuers are moving to the Carolinas and points south. Their reasons quoted are for "the best work force in the U.S. and the lack of unions." Sorry, but I have too often seen unions support the worker doing as little work as possible for the least time for the most money. In some cases they are needed, but generally they have become too ridiculous.

Sorry Bills Fan but the information that your dad gave you about the south is passe. You are obviously from a strong union background. My wife is from a very union part of Minnesota and has witnessed the horrors of industry being controlled by unions. As far as the schools, look at the demographics and you might just understand the problem here in the Charlotte, if you were an observant teacher. You make a general, prejudical statement about people of wealth in Myers' Park (you called it Meyer Park so I assume you meant Myer's Park). Just because people live in posh houses and/or neighborhoods doesn't mean that they didn't work to achieve such awards. Sorry but not a being blue collar union worker doesn't mean that the person didn't work. Perhaps higher goals were achieved. Great to live in a place where an individual is able to chose their destiny and not be a slave to a union.

Your first sentence, "The unskilled factory workers bring the work ethic that most southern workers lack" was a true classic. Not only was it funny but also a great fantasy. Hopefully, you will move back to the place from which you came. You can teach in the superior schools and watch your students get those great union jobs. I must conclude by saying that your superior northern community colleges have obviously not turned out the great students that you would assume. I live and socialize with them. Believe me, no superiority there at all. Try again. LOL.

Last edited by vindaloo; 11-17-2008 at 08:42 AM..

Old 11-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Ani, as usual, THANK YOU for taking the time to write this so that I didn't have to

I find it amazing how clueless some people are - as to WHY a region retains its low taxes and reasonable cost of living . . .

Old 11-17-2008, 08:29 AM

4,761 posts, read 6,443,026 times
Work ethic that Southerners lack? You must be joking.

Southerners have to be some of the hardest working people out there. Just because we're not building cars doesn't mean we're not working. Heck, just because people in Detroit are "building cars" doesn't mean they ARE actually working. (see: DOT worker on the side of the road leaning on a shovel for further explanation)

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM

I grew up around people who not only had their own farms - and all the duties that go with it - many of them had factory jobs, or were teachers, or had a company of their own (such as selling insurance, boarding horses, selling produce/dairy, etc). So they were up b/f 5 am taking care of livestock and worked all weekend on their acreage . . . in addition to punching a clock 40 hours a week.

Please stop the madness w/ the stereotypes of Southerners.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:24 AM

7,109 posts, read 9,741,253 times
Default who invited you to the party?

Sometimes I think the best response to posts such as his is: no response.no defending. no nada. zilch.Keeps the WTF level down. :>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or