U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:36 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,204,315 times
Thumbs up Our One Year Anniversary in Charlotte

Today, DH and I are celebrating our one year anniversary in Charlotte. My, how time flies!

One year ago, we took a big chance and moved to Charlotte from Raleigh. My husband and I moved to Raleigh from the DC suburbs for him to take a new job that would hopefully advance his career. Well, that job didn't work out, and three months into our relocation, he lost the job. We survived only on my salary from the job I brought with me to NC. I am grateful to my company for allowing me to work remotely, so at least I didn't have to find a new job when we moved.

DH was unemployed for the first 6 months of our tenure in Charlotte. Then, he found a job with a good company, and began working there in April. So far, so good... he seems happy there, and the company seems happy with his performance.

We know that these days, nothing is secure anymore. But, we are trying to make Charlotte our home. We're in the process of buying our first home. We pay our bills on time, look out for our neighbors, and are active in the community through volunteer work. No place is perfect, and yes, there are times that we miss certain things about the DC area, as well as NJ, our "ancestral" home. You only live once, however, and you need to make the best out of any situation. Though our marriage is still young at 4 1/2 years, I feel that everything we've been through has made us stronger as a couple. We both look forward to growing old here in the Queen City. Here's to year 2 and counting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:39 AM

35,394 posts, read 42,430,804 times
WOO HOO!!! Congratulations on your Anniversary!

And may I add . . . you have certainly made a home on the CLT Forum! Your insights, thoughts and opinions have been of great help to others.

I love DC . . . and know that you are bound to miss some of the things that I find wonderful in that region . . . It is easier to get back there from RDU . . . but we do make at least one trip a year to DC just cause we enjoy it so much . . . I hope you have found new things here to somewhat compensate.

Like you, I believe in making the most of wherever I am planted. Life really is an adventure, and as a couple, I think discovering those new things (including making it thru/ the challenges!) can make a relationship even stronger. It sure can add dimension . . . as sometimes, problem-solving teaches us a lot about our spouses (and ourselves!).

So glad you are here . . . and best wishes for MANY YEARS of happiness here in Charlotte!!!!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,852,304 times
My wife and I just celebrated (more like acknowledged, it came and went so fast that we hardly remembered it was here!) our one year Charlotte anniversary in June. Our story is similar to Ctri's, minus the layoff! We moved from Orlando straight here. I took a new job (secured before moving, thank you!) and the wife's company let her work remotely. Very thankful for that!

Our marriage is also young (2 years Nov. 4th) and we bought our first house here in the University City area (as you might know by my continuing efforts to defend the nay-sayers of the area!).

Overall a great experience so far. Pretty much the only tough spot to chew has been the family and friends thing. The wife doesn't get out much working from home, so she's at a disadvantage, and being 7-8 hours from the nearest family keeps trips less frequent. But it's something only time can make happen...

Old 10-15-2008, 08:58 AM

Hey, Steve!! So glad you are here, as well!!! You, too, have been a real asset to the forum.

I know exactly what you mean about working from home . . . it does limit one's ability to meet new people and make friends. And that is quite a drive to FL, especially w/ gas more expensive these days.

Also, I appreciate your mentioning that you didn't come w/o a job! I think anyone contemplating moving here needs to see that repeated again and again . . .

We need to schedule some more CD meetups - that is also a neat way to make some new friends.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:00 AM

I understand the family/friends thing. Interestingly enough, our closest friends are those we knew from either VA or NJ that have also moved here!

Slowly but surely, we're becoming friends with other locals and transplants. Becoming involved in an activity has really helped a lot for me. For example, I'm volunteering at the animal shelter so I'm meeting a lot of animal lovers. I haven't met my new best friend there yet, but connecting with like-minded folks has helped ease the loneliness factor -- and it also makes me less dependent on my DH for everything.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 AM

44,424 posts, read 55,096,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post
Today, DH and I are celebrating our one year anniversary in Charlotte. My, how time flies!

One year ago, we took a big chance and moved to Charlotte from Raleigh. My husband and I moved to Raleigh from the DC suburbs for him to take a new job that would hopefully advance his career. Well, that job didn't work out, and three months into our relocation, he lost the job. We survived only on my salary from the job I brought with me to NC. I am grateful to my company for allowing me to work remotely, so at least I didn't have to find a new job when we moved.

DH was unemployed for the first 6 months of our tenure in Charlotte. Then, he found a job with a good company, and began working there in April. So far, so good... he seems happy there, and the company seems happy with his performance.

We know that these days, nothing is secure anymore. But, we are trying to make Charlotte our home. We're in the process of buying our first home. We pay our bills on time, look out for our neighbors, and are active in the community through volunteer work. No place is perfect, and yes, there are times that we miss certain things about the DC area, as well as NJ, our "ancestral" home. You only live once, however, and you need to make the best out of any situation. Though our marriage is still young at 4 1/2 years, I feel that everything we've been through has made us stronger as a couple. We both look forward to growing old here in the Queen City. Here's to year 2 and counting!

Yay!! By current standards you're practically a native now, LOL!!

Can't believe it's already been a year since we started trying to help you find your spot here!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:32 AM

How crazy is that!

Just wanted to say thanks to you and all of the others who have come through with great advice and responses to all of my questions. I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Yay!! By current standards you're practically a native now, LOL!!

Can't believe it's already been a year since we started trying to help you find your spot here!

Old 10-15-2008, 10:35 AM

9,070 posts, read 18,405,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctribucher View Post

Glad to hear things are working out! Good luck!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:11 AM

1,894 posts, read 3,852,304 times
...and obviously Ctri is far more reputable than I. 207 to 184 (at the time of posting) in about the same time frame! Bah humbug!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallisteve View Post
...and obviously Ctri is far more reputable than I. 207 to 184 (at the time of posting) in about the same time frame! Bah humbug!
Now, Now. You know we love you both, LOL!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte