U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2008, 09:22 AM

9 posts, read 71,091 times

Advertisements

My wife an I are about to buy a house in Planters Walk. My wife has family in the area, so this is why we chose it. We've become concerned reading some posts here saying there is a crime problem. Sure enough after looking at the crime data it does seem like there are an alarming number of incidents. However I looked around the city, and it seems to be everywhere. The upscale Myers Park had more incidents than Planters Walk, for example. Berewick, which seems to be a popular new development in Steele Creek, has also had many incidents.

Should we be concerned? The neighborhood seems pretty far from low-rent appartments or notorious areas. So where does the crime come from--other people in the neighborhood, or outsiders driving in? Do alarm systems help? What other precautions can be taken?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:38 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektr4 View Post
My wife an I are about to buy a house in Planters Walk. My wife has family in the area, so this is why we chose it. We've become concerned reading some posts here saying there is a crime problem. Sure enough after looking at the crime data it does seem like there are an alarming number of incidents. However I looked around the city, and it seems to be everywhere. The upscale Myers Park had more incidents than Planters Walk, for example. Berewick, which seems to be a popular new development in Steele Creek, has also had many incidents.

Should we be concerned? The neighborhood seems pretty far from low-rent appartments or notorious areas. So where does the crime come from--other people in the neighborhood, or outsiders driving in? Do alarm systems help? What other precautions can be taken?
Since your wife has family in the area why not rely on what those already living there can tell you? If they feel safe and are happy you could feel more comfortable about your decision. But if they are the ones giving you any specific warnings you should take that seriously. I love Steele Creek myself, but there are some problems in areas with a high number of foreclosures that seem to be attracting an unwanted element to certain places - not necessarily Planters Walk though. Best of luck in your decision!

Old 10-15-2008, 09:39 AM

45,270 posts, read 86,039,386 times
ps - having a dog seems to be the #1 deterrent to criminals casing a home - so if you don't have one maybe you could consider adopting from the animal shelter

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 AM

221 posts, read 637,126 times
I almost bought a home in planters walk. I immensely enjoy that area, and think that crime should not be a large issue there. The only reason that we did not purchase a home there was my husbands commute would be longer, and we fell in love with another part of town.

Having family close by can be a huge help. As far as how to deter crime....get to know your neighbors. They will be watching out for you and your family too. My next door neighbor knows our family well, and I know that they are looking out for us.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 36,318 times
I live in Steele Creek and love it. But we rent. We are closer to the Rivergate Mall end and its just a great area. Im from NY and feel pretty safe. I know crime is everywhere but Im happy with our choice to move here.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

3,354 posts, read 8,663,090 times
Have you tried the new wine shop in Rivergate?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:41 PM

15 posts, read 36,318 times
Not yet! We hope to soon. Do they have tastings?

Old 10-16-2008, 08:40 PM

15 posts, read 47,683 times
We live near River Gate too and we're wanting to try it. Tonight, we drove by and saw a couple outside, looks like they put a table clothe on one of the tables while they where waiting... for a taste??

Anyway, back to the crime thing. We have lived in this area and have never had a problem with crime.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:40 AM

3,354 posts, read 8,663,090 times
Was in just when they opened they did not have all the wines in yet.

You can purchase a taste of 36 different wines something like that, they also do some food that sounded good for eating with the wines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte