Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 12:03 PM

716 posts, read 2,158,327 times

Advertisements

I've lived in South Charlotte 15 years. I've seen two snakes the whole time: a dead one on a greenway in the University area, and a little black one under my downspout splash guard last summer.

What you ARE going to see is not black widows, but wolf spiders and grass spiders. Those suckers are big and fast and always scare the poop out of me. They also really like to invade my house, apparently. I have a few fly swatters around the ground floor of my home just for them. That allows me to dispatch them quickly and from a distance without making too much of a mess of them on my carpet...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM

834 posts, read 1,015,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Lol

BW's are common. But not that common.

I spend a lot of time outdoors. Much, much more than most people. I see 20 snakes for every black widow. Unless you're looking specifically for black widows I think my experience is more typical of what someone could expect.

You can add your own opinion without devaluing the opinion of others, you know.
so can you

I know the difference between a wolf spider, wood spider, brown recluse, male black widow, female black widow, crab spider, garden spider etc..

It's convenience logic to say there are more snakes than spiders even just in the context of your local area. Especially when you consider wood, wolf, garden, and crab spiders, along with all the house spider variants, are the only ones who come out in daylight unless forced to..

Heh,, also imagine if I was the one here who was clueless and any local snakes had over 40 babies at a time..

Last edited by TJJT; 08-18-2013 at 12:41 PM..

Old 08-20-2013, 11:24 PM

19 posts, read 28,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Snakes are MORE common than black widows, but LESS common than thunder storms.

Hope that helps!

You guys are not making me feel any better! EEK! My brother lives in Florida and I saw a picture of a wolf spider that was in their house!

So how often do you get thunderstorms?!?!?

Like I said, the spiders around here (and pretty much outside at all times) are not very big. Now I have to worry about giant spiders and snakes. . . . .

Old 08-20-2013, 11:30 PM

19 posts, read 28,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I've lived in South Charlotte 15 years. I've seen two snakes the whole time: a dead one on a greenway in the University area, and a little black one under my downspout splash guard last summer.

What you ARE going to see is not black widows, but wolf spiders and grass spiders. Those suckers are big and fast and always scare the poop out of me. They also really like to invade my house, apparently. I have a few fly swatters around the ground floor of my home just for them. That allows me to dispatch them quickly and from a distance without making too much of a mess of them on my carpet...

I just googled grass spider! I should not be doing this when it is dark!

Any way to keep these creatures out?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte