U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 10:29 AM

743 posts, read 2,024,689 times

Advertisements

Yup I am getting freaked out now. Getting too close to home here. They seem to be moving further south. I am in the process of putting in for a transfer to a nighttime position so I am home with the kids in the afternoon and morning for that fact for this exact reason. That is my worst fear ever for something like an invasion to happen with only my son home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 11:03 AM

201 posts, read 855,867 times
I'm "glad" (no, not really) that I'm not alone...sad, actually....I don't even want to go and do some work in my garage...thinking that I'll be invaded LOL....

As for the Hampton Green, there was a gathering going on...I believe people were in and out...how many times have you had people over and left the door open for them...or had people coming in and out so left it open? I know I have...I have a back screened in porch with a rinky dink closure on it...and then glass doors to the house...I'm leaving the alarm system on all day....

LOL Gizmo...I'm going to go on ebay and buy some used men's boots LOL....and a bone...My back neighbor just got a rottie (joy)..a barkie one at that...Should I put a "tempermental cat inside" warning sign out front?

I really love it here...but very sad here....I can't find a job (which is not the end of the world since hubby has a good one.....I knew it'd take a while, but more than 6 months? I'm an ex ny attorney and companies just don't have time or want out of state paralegals or even receptionists...)....

PLUS, my cute little Weddington Road is becoming FIVE lanes for a new 485 ramp opposite the entrance to Providence Plantation (Plantation Drive) and I'm literally hysterical about it when I think about it....

Everything is going wrong here... I didn't expect the streets to be lined with gold as people held hands (although the sanitary shopping cart wipes are pretty cool LOL)...but I didn't think I'd love my security and seclusion and charm of my neighborhood SO fast...

Old 10-16-2008, 11:11 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
A year ago, some felt I was being too vigilant and paranoid about all my suggestions about safety. It seems that the things I suggested then don't sound so outrageous now.

Everything Loves and Gizmo wrote . . . I 100% agree with you! I hope everyone will PLEASE read those suggestions and choose what can be done at their homes to add to security and protect families.

The thugs in this city have discovered that they can cruise through our once very safe neighborhoods . . . and find "good stuff." It's not your fault if you are the victim of a break-in, of course, but make it more difficult (or less attractive) for the thugs to decide to stop and pick your home.

Neighbors looking out for neighbors is one of the best deterrent of criminal activity. Get to know your neighbors and their habits. I know every vehicle that belongs on our street and culdesac - and therefore, am very suspicious of a different car/truck. Everyone should do the same thing! If someone is parked on your street and you feel uneasy about it - call the police!

Please keep your doors locked - and if you work at home - turn your alarm on. I have mine set where it goes off immediately if any door is opened. Yeah, it is a hassle to turn it off if I want to answer the front door, but I figured out that if I didn't feel good about someone at the door - opening it and letting the alarm sound could be a VERY GOOD THING. Also, it doesn't hurt to let your alarm sound if people are hanging around the neighborhood. Then they know you REALLY DO have an alarm. Keep your cell phone charged. If you are alone at nite, keep your cell phone next to you as well as your landline. Someone could cut your landline! Keep your car doors locked, day and nite. How many of us keep our garage remote controls sitting in the car outside our garage during the day? Talk about giving a thug entry into you home . . .

Just be wise. I have lived being very cautious for decades, so none of this affects me. It has all become routine. Once it becomes routine, you will actually feel more secure b/c you know you are doing all you can to be proactive about your safety.

I have had some close calls. You learn how to make yourself a less desirable target . . . and if you feel comfortable having a firearm at home . . .learn to use it and store it safely.

Is this an ideal way to live life? Some would say no. I am accustomed to always thinking about my own safety (and that of my family) . . . so to me . . . I feel stronger and more prepared b/c I have done all I can to be safe. That includes being aware of one's surroundings every where I go - whether it is the grocery store, pharmacy, or post office. I hold my head proudly when I get out of my car and look around to see if things seem safe. Feel good about being strong and secure!!! Walk w/ meaning! Defy the thugs! That kind of attitude puts a shield around you . . . don't let these miscreants make you feel threatened. As long as you are doing all you can to be safe, you should sleep well at nite. The chances that you will be the victim of crime have been substantially reduced if you have done all you can to secure your home.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:32 AM

716 posts, read 1,907,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
How many of us keep our garage remote controls sitting in the car outside our garage during the day? Talk about giving a thug entry into you home . . .
Here's something we do that someone else may find helpful:

We usually leave our house through the garage, as we have the cars parked in the driveway. I took a couple of pieces of velcro and stuck the remotes on the wall just outside the house door, above the inside wall-mounted garage door opener. When we hit the button to open the garage door on our way out, we grab one of the remotes, and stick it back on the wall when we come back in. It takes a few times to remember to do it, but once you do, you don't have to worry about leaving your garage remotes outside any more! (And you'll still always know where they are!)

Old 10-16-2008, 11:52 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,029,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Here's something we do that someone else may find helpful:

We usually leave our house through the garage, as we have the cars parked in the driveway. I took a couple of pieces of velcro and stuck the remotes on the wall just outside the house door, above the inside wall-mounted garage door opener. When we hit the button to open the garage door on our way out, we grab one of the remotes, and stick it back on the wall when we come back in. It takes a few times to remember to do it, but once you do, you don't have to worry about leaving your garage remotes outside any more! (And you'll still always know where they are!)
Great suggestion! Creating such methods/habits are a great idea and ensure that your remotes don't get into the wrong hands.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:50 PM

45,270 posts, read 88,327,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremoremore View Post
I'm "glad" (no, not really) that I'm not alone...sad, actually....I don't even want to go and do some work in my garage...thinking that I'll be invaded LOL....

As for the Hampton Green, there was a gathering going on...I believe people were in and out...how many times have you had people over and left the door open for them...or had people coming in and out so left it open? I know I have...I have a back screened in porch with a rinky dink closure on it...and then glass doors to the house...I'm leaving the alarm system on all day....

LOL Gizmo...I'm going to go on ebay and buy some used men's boots LOL....and a bone...My back neighbor just got a rottie (joy)..a barkie one at that...Should I put a "tempermental cat inside" warning sign out front?

I really love it here...but very sad here....I can't find a job (which is not the end of the world since hubby has a good one.....I knew it'd take a while, but more than 6 months? I'm an ex ny attorney and companies just don't have time or want out of state paralegals or even receptionists...)....

PLUS, my cute little Weddington Road is becoming FIVE lanes for a new 485 ramp opposite the entrance to Providence Plantation (Plantation Drive) and I'm literally hysterical about it when I think about it....

Everything is going wrong here... I didn't expect the streets to be lined with gold as people held hands (although the sanitary shopping cart wipes are pretty cool LOL)...but I didn't think I'd love my security and seclusion and charm of my neighborhood SO fast...

moremoremore, it sounds to me like your generalized anxiety over not being able to find a job is making you feel even more vulnerable about the two crimes recently in Matthews...Try not to be so down, you are living in a very nice area and with a few precautions you should be very safe honey.

I am sorry about the widening of Weddington Rd Perhaps by the time it is all done you can identify an area more to your desire for a county lifestyle and make one more move in a few years - say further into Union County? Personally, I love northEASTERN Union County - not much going on there or planned for there either, just nice countryside

Old 10-16-2008, 05:54 PM

15 posts, read 37,040 times
I live in Steele Creek and feel really safe. I still keep everything locked though being from Queens myself. Its just the way I am. Just remember, its a bit safer than NY but you need to always be cautious no matter where you are.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:50 PM

104 posts, read 154,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Weapons on both floors.
Nod. Or worn. This should be a self-correcting problem (home invasions, that is). I hate to sound crass, but it really should be. You can't honestly expect the cops to be 1) everywhere at once or 2) be there instantly when you need them, or even know you need them. Sometimes you just have to be able to defend yourself without relying on others, and do so within seconds.

Open front door or not, nobody invites criminals in. I leave my front door open so I can get a breeze, not because I want to be robbed. If I round the corner and someone has just entered my house uninvited and I feel either my life or my family's is threatened, that's going to be a very bad day for them indeed.

Burglaries while you're gone though...that's tougher to guard against. I have a dog, but throw him a steak and he'll love anyone who comes in the front door.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM

201 posts, read 855,867 times
Good to hear from you guys....thanks for all of the feedback and comments... Maybe I'll become a pistol packin mama....did anyone see My Name is Earl Last Week...Joy and her new gun -"don't worry people...just grazed my booby" LOL...Maybe I'll get lucky and shoot my ass off

Thanks Melody...you have my number! I sure do have generalized anxiety...It's hard not to get down...I really like Union but needed to stay close to uptown for hubby....I really love this particular area and bought it bc it was older construction with mature trees on a really quiet street where I can't see my neighbors......Not too easy to find unless you want to spend some major bucks and stay a decent distance from the city...It had the character I wanted...Weddington didn't bother me too much as it was...but now, I feel like that character is gone (e/t it won't be done until 2013)...I think it will be harder to sell living off of Weddington at that point...we'll see...maybe we'll make a move next year...

Who knows...Anyway....be safe all....

Old 10-17-2008, 07:21 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I know nobody really asks to be robbed but....that guy was just begging to be robbed. It doesn't matter how it used to be 30, 40 or so years ago. If you leave your front door open then you might as well leave coffee and cake out for the crooks while you're at it.
He has every right to keep his door open and not expect to be robbed. It's his home and no one has a right to violate this poor guy. I too have now resorted to an alarm system which stays on all of the time while I am locked in my house always peeking out the window to see who is around. While I am outside with my children I have the dog by my side always( I used to tell people she's friendly she won't bite, now I tell them to stay back she is very protective). I wear a remote alarm from my security company around my neck while I am outside. I am so angry, this is no way to live!!!!!!! I find it very interesting in an area where so many people own guns there is way more crime than areas where I have lived where very few people owned guns. I'm sorry I am very fustrated and not feeling very safe. I don't get it!!! Where I lived people had beautiful homes, expensive cars, big screen tv's and we never worried about such things. The only one bad crime was a murder about 10 miles from my house when a NC trucker did a home invasion and murdered the woman living there.

Last edited by ssd3; 10-17-2008 at 07:46 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte