U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 AM

149 posts, read 530,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
One of the most confounding things to newcomers is the intersection of Queens and Queens!

Hahaha! The first time I was at that intersection I said to myself..."Is that even possible?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 11:15 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Well, I stay confused, even after all these years! Plus, it doesn't help that I fight panic attacks when I get lost. I had my last driving-related panic attack in 2002, when I got lost on some street off Selwyn, LOL. I had a laminated map w/ me, pulled off the road, and tried meditating quietly to make the world stop spinning. Then I tried to trace my steps. I was trying to get to an appointment, thus this sense of urgency that propelled me into the panic attack. Heart racing, breaking out in sweat, dizziness, etc. Since then, I do not leave home w/o a Mapquest print out PLUS the GPS. Also, I write down the tel. # of my destination. I am fine as long as I have been a particular path ONCE. I feel things are familiar. But I had just moved back here after being gone for so long and streets had changed, landmarks had changed - and I felt completely lost and running out of time to get to my appointment. It is a terrible feeling.

Last week I screwed up again. I mean - we are talking simple stuff here, but I found myself at the wrong McAlistair's location. I had not bothered to do a Mapquest print out. I had used GPS to get there and then realized - DERN - I was supposed to be at a different location (one wh/ is NOT listed in my GPS memory!!!). However, I had written down the tel # of the correct location so was able to call and get my bearings. Now how stupid is that? I was late, tho. Only a few minutes but how embarrassing. I like to go to new areas I am not familiar with b/c once I have been on a particular "path" - I never have problems getting there again.

Charlotte driving really does make me crazy. Luckily, no more panic attacks but I swear . . . it wouldn't take much to push me over the edge!!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:37 AM
Status: "North of Palm Trees, South of High Taxes" (set 15 days ago)

5,621 posts, read 6,704,636 times
When I first moved to the area, one of my first purchases was an AOC map book of the greater Charlotte Area ~ $40. It has been an invaluable resource for getting around Charlotte. Althought, I'm a great fan of technology, many of the GPS devices are not "upgradeable" and become more and more obsolete as time goes by. The AOC map had my subdivision in it, while even most of the on-line map sites showed only a blank space where I live - and many still do!

I like knowing exactly how to get to a place a few days before I have to go there. I'll study the map and supplement it with on-line material so I'm almost spot-on when I get "there!" If I'm still a little unsure, I'll take all my info with me, so I can always re-check if there is construction or detours in the area. It's worked so far!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:41 AM

It's the craziest thing . . . you can dump me out in LA, ATL, CHI, DC . . . and I get around fine. Yes, even DC!!! But Charlotte really does drive me nuts. All of the newcomers have my utmost sympathy, LOL - and also - you guys inspire me. If you all can get around here, I should be able to do it, too!!!!

Old 10-17-2008, 11:43 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,752,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Why is every building in there exactly the same. It makes me want to tear my hair out.
And even the buildings on the road behind John J. Delaney have that as their street address too. I had to drive into almost every parking lot to read the names of the firms listed on the signs.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:13 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,722,928 times
I wonder why they don't have large street signs in the middle of the intersections outside of Uptown? Makes finding unfamiliar streets kinda hard sometimes.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:04 PM

123 posts, read 271,272 times
Have wondered why there are so many Sharon's in this city -- Sharon Road, Sharon Dr, etc etc. Another thing is that these are no way close to one another. Providence W is no way close to Providence Road, or are any or the Sharon's related.. Wonder why they are named like that and confuse people.

Another thing that irritates me is that many of the roads are winding. Can somebody explain to me why this is done so, coz i never feel safe while driving in a winding road!

Old 10-17-2008, 04:16 PM

Winding roads equal several things, any of wh/ may apply to the roads around here . . .

Cow paths (truly)
Stage coach routes
Trading routes
Native American paths

Edited to add: Sometimes roads follow the property lines established in the 1700s
And some roads are along natural waterways - just outside the edge, so people could follow the tributaries (like a map)

Old 10-17-2008, 05:05 PM

1,367 posts, read 5,102,954 times
Glad I'm not the only newcomer getting lost! There have been a couple times I've done huge loops on 485 trying to get from somewhere in Charlotte back to my home in Kannapolis! Although, one of those times we were looking for some appliance store, but lost the map, and ended up at a Lowes WAY far away from our home but ended up with a great deal on a fridge!

It doesn't help when the exit/expressway signs don't list directions but instead list the towns they lead to. "Um, I don't think I want to go to Rock Hill. Do I? Maybe? Help!"

Old 10-17-2008, 06:58 PM

655 posts, read 2,100,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Smoking something or had blinders on!!! Now you would think that area would have been mapped out better. Not like it is off Queens. Any of the Queens. Or any of the Sharons, for that matter.
My worst navigational moment was when I was driving south on S. Kings Drive. I figured if I kept heading south, I'd run into Park, Woodlawn, Tyvola, or some other road I was more familiar with. Now, I don't know exactly how I did it, but fifteen minutes later I'm magically heading north on S. Kings. Felt like Clark Griswold for a moment there.

Fortunately, I found a on ramp for I-277 and got straightened out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or