Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 07:01 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times

Advertisements

omg dont try Kings Drive now. I use to be able to go to that State Credit Union but due to all that development , lane moves, construction barrels. I decided to get another bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:26 PM

45 posts, read 133,569 times
I love my Magelleon. I don't get lost around Charlotte anymore, best investment

Old 10-17-2008, 09:41 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akpreets View Post
Have wondered why there are so many Sharon's in this city -- Sharon Road, Sharon Dr, etc etc. Another thing is that these are no way close to one another. Providence W is no way close to Providence Road, or are any or the Sharon's related.. Wonder why they are named like that and confuse people.

Another thing that irritates me is that many of the roads are winding. Can somebody explain to me why this is done so, coz i never feel safe while driving in a winding road!
Re: Winding roads. A common theory is it is because Charlotte is an old town. Pre-revolutionary war. 200+ years ago roads were built around trees, homes, churches etc.

Creative Loafing article - Street Stories "The origins of the roads you travel down every day."

Quote:
Providence, Sharon and Sugar Creek

Early Charlotte settlers were Scotts-Irish Presbyterians whose worlds often revolved around home and church, local historian Tom Hanchett says.
"Presbyterians named a lot of early roads after the churches the road went to," Hanchett says. Providence Road got its name because it went from downtown to Providence Presbyterian Church. Sugar Creek Road went by Sugar Creek Presbyterian Church. Ditto for Sharon Road, which ran by Sharon Presbyterian Church.

It appears that early county residents may have taken this trend to the extreme. In the Bible, Hanchett points out, the plains of Sharon are next to Mount Carmel in Israel. Mount Carmel Presbyterian Church, in what is now known as the Carmel Road area, abuts the Sharon Road area.
Reading the comments at the end of the article got me wondering again. What are the origins of The Plaza? I can imagine someone from out of town getting written directions.

So then you come to The Plaza
What's that?
A road
Ok! Plaza Road.
No! The Plaza
The Plaza Rd?.....No? The Plaza Drive....Circle....Lane? ???
Nope....The Plaza.

Last edited by NCgirl; 10-17-2008 at 09:56 PM..

Old 10-17-2008, 10:03 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,505,372 times
my gps unit has issue with "the plaza" and that can be a flip of a coin if you get good part of "the plaza" or lock the doors part of "the plaza"

Old 10-18-2008, 02:04 PM

140 posts, read 322,962 times
GPS devices are so cheap now that this is not a problem anymore, plus with time you get used to it. What really, really kills me here is people driving at 5 mph on the left lane!!! I mean, there's got to be some sort of DMV involvement here in teaching people the basics. I think courtesy should go both ways and yes speed limits should be respected but those blocking the left lane need to move the heck out the way for crying out loud, it's very frustrating.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:57 AM

656 posts, read 2,315,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Giorgio View Post
GPS devices are so cheap now that this is not a problem anymore, plus with time you get used to it. What really, really kills me here is people driving at 5 mph on the left lane!!! I mean, there's got to be some sort of DMV involvement here in teaching people the basics. I think courtesy should go both ways and yes speed limits should be respected but those blocking the left lane need to move the heck out the way for crying out loud, it's very frustrating.
In the state of North Carolina, it is unlawful to drive slower than the posted speed limit in the left hand lane. See NC General Statute Sec. 20-146(b) & (e). If they are driving the speed limit, however, then it's too bad, so sad. It is there in black and white, but appears to be one that gets the brush off like the "U-turns must yield."

I found this website (http://www.driverightpassleft.com/laws/index.asp - broken link), too. It's an interesting comparison of the states and that particular driving law.

Old 10-19-2008, 04:18 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,353 times
dear

Old 10-19-2008, 04:32 PM

795 posts, read 4,537,353 times
sear -- don't feel bad, all these posts show that we've all been there. but something anifani said reminded me of this story.

in the mid-nineties or so, when i was new to charlotte, one of my major landmarks to get home from work was a distinctive-looking allen tate building located on the corner of hwy 51/johnston rd.

so one night my ex and i go out, possibly to a game/maybe uptown (who knows? it's been so long...). anyway, we are coming back using what i thought was the same route as my work route, and we get to an allen tate building located at a major intersection on the left.

well, i get VERY excited because i never know where i am in chlt yet and my ex ALWAYS does, and i start bouncing around in the seat saying, i know where i am, i know where i am, take a left here, take a left, we're almost home.

about 10 minutes later, after he finally stopped laughing, and long after he kept driving straight through that intersection, he explained that we were far, far northeast of hwy 51, and that, of course, the allen tate bldg i knew and loved was not the only one in chlt.

it burst my bubble, i tell ya. (AND highlighted one of my problems driving in chlt at the time, which was that i relied heavily on landmarks and ignored for the most part actual street names.)

sooo. we've all been there, cursing the streets. charlotte's beautiful, though, i really wouldn't change a thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte