Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 12:50 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times

Advertisements

I love living here, I really do. And Anifani has explained why Charlotte's layout is so weird, but having come from cities where everything is on a grid, driving in Charlotte is making me crazy!!!!!!! I was trying to find a doctor's office today, and it said it was on John J. Delaney Dr. Okay, I know where that is, no problem. I get over to Johnston, see John J. Delaney, and since there's the hotel on the left, it must be to the right? Right? NO! There are three places where one can turn on that street....where I was going right, and then further up (because the street is a loop), you can turn right or left. WTH!?!?! Is this city designed to confuse newcomers? I NEED STRAIGHT STREETS!!! And don't even get me started on the whole changing of street names five times on one street.....

I feel a little better now. At least Charlotte's traffic is not bad and I have time to reorient myself when I get lost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 12:57 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
ROFL!!! Driving here drives me crazy, too!!!! It was such a relief when I lived in the Midwest.

I feel your pain, Searpr!!!!

Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM

158 posts, read 543,466 times
Buy a Garmin, you'll thank me later

Old 10-16-2008, 01:32 PM

578 posts, read 2,598,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazira View Post
Buy a Garmin, you'll thank me later
I know. I should totally stop being cheap and just buy one. Since I manage to make my way to where I need to go (usually muttering under my breath or outright ranting, like today) I can't justify the cost, but I really should, huh?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:33 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,057,785 times
I feel your pain. I've been here for over 4 years... just a few miles away from that location and it took me 20 minutes to find a new doctors office on John J. Delaney a few weeks ago. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that complex. Perhaps they were smoking something really good that day.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:35 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I feel your pain. I've been here for over 4 years... just a few miles away from that location and it took me 20 minutes to find a new doctors office on John J. Delaney a few weeks ago. I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that complex. Perhaps they were smoking something really good that day.
Smoking something or had blinders on!!! Now you would think that area would have been mapped out better. Not like it is off Queens. Any of the Queens. Or any of the Sharons, for that matter.

Old 10-16-2008, 02:45 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,939,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
I don't know what they were thinking when they designed that complex. Perhaps they were smoking something really good that day.
Why is every building in there exactly the same. It makes me want to tear my hair out.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:35 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
That is why I live & work Uptown. We have a grid pattern inside the I-277 Loop and you can circle the block!

The rest of Charlotte makes no sense to me either.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 AM

149 posts, read 581,285 times
Ha! When my husband and I first visited Charlotte we were staying in one of the condos off of Davidson street. Unknown to us there was a tree covering the Davidson st exit sign and we ended up driving around center city forever looking for it! It was hilarious! We got a great view of the Stadium... all 5 times! Luckily we have learned our way in the past 7 years!

GPS Navigation is your friend in Charlotte!!! Especially when on Sardis Rd or Tyvola when the street changes names 16 times!

Old 10-17-2008, 10:58 AM

716 posts, read 2,157,595 times
One of the most confounding things to newcomers is the intersection of Queens and Queens!

Buying a gps is "cheating" because you'll never actually learn your way around!

When I got here (10 years ago, before GPSs were ubiquitous) I got a big map of Charlotte and stuck it to the wall in the kitchen. I used a sticky dot to mark "home" and "work", and then every time I had to go somewhere I planned a route using the map. It's basically the same as low-tech gps, but it made me learn the names of streets and what connected to what.

The other thing that helped me to learn was to realize that a good portion of Charlotte (the part I needed to be in, anyway) was pear-shaped, with the center of uptown being the top of the pear. (The BOA building is the stem, if you will!) The west side outline is I-77 (or even S. Tryon) and the east side outline is Independence. The bottom outline is 485. Then all you have to do is learn the major thoroughfares with strong N-S (South, Park, Providence, Randolph, Monroe) and E-W directionals (East, Woodlawn, Sharon Amity, Pineville-Matthews, and the ever popular Tyvola-Fairview-Sardis-Rama-Idlewild!) Even if you're lost, if you find one of those, and you head in the general compass direction of where you want to be, you'll get to something more familiar.

Granted, my system will not work for all people, and it took me a good 6 months before I felt REALLY comfortable going somewhere unfamiliar, but in the end I now know this city (and all its little "back ways") like the back of my hand!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte