U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 AM

327 posts, read 1,057,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrConfigT View Post
When I read the OP, I took it as their management company is raising their fees. Which they are free to do, but the HOA Board has the ultimate authority and oversight over the transaction. But if there is a raise in individual home owner's fees then I think that needs to be approved by a quorum of owners. Before you vote you should find out what the extra money is going to buy you. Maybe they are putting it away for large projects (Special Assessment) such as a pool or club house.

7 oh 4 - I'll trade any day!
Correct, the management is raising the fee, our board does not want it raised. Now, if it were to go for a pool, I'd be all for it, but there is literally NO room to construct a pool, unless they demo a house or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:00 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,057,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I was informed yesterday that the HOA Management company for our subdivision wishes to increase our annual HOA dues from $275 to more than $500. I'm looking for comparable subdivisions and associated HOA dues to see if this is as ridiculous as I think it is.

Background on our subdivision:

Located in North Charlotte near Highland Creek
81 single family homes
No pool, no community center, just streets and houses
Nicely landscaped entrance (only 1 way into the neighborhood) similar to
many others, nothing elaborate, just a stone wall and some plantings
HOA board that consists of 7 members (who plan to fight the increase)
Semi-annual property inspection completed by our HOA board - letters
mailed from the Management Company, if needed

I think that's it. Basically, we were told when we moved in that our HOA dues went to upkeep of the entrance to the subdivision. There are no upgrades planned for increased responsibilities/duties for the HOA Management Company.

Aside from the usual "That's why I don't live in an HOA subdivision", any thoughts?

OK, I just read more of your post. Usually it's the board or the association iteself looking to raise dues. If it's the management company, there should be some sort or check and balance system. If the Board wants to fight it, the best way IMO is to fire the management company. It doesn't seem like they're doing you much good anyway.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:28 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
Correct, the management is raising the fee, our board does not want it raised. Now, if it were to go for a pool, I'd be all for it, but there is literally NO room to construct a pool, unless they demo a house or two.
Is your HOA paying for street lights? Not that this would account for the increase, but it may account for the high cost as it exists currently.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:34 AM

41 posts, read 94,231 times
A management company does not establish dues. They simply carry out decisions and policies of the Board. The management company could have reveiwed the financials of the community and made a recommendation to the board of what dues should be to balance your budget without cutting services?

Old 10-17-2008, 09:57 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,060 times
We pay $600 a year. We have 39 lots in our neighborhood(only 8 homes at the moment and all but 1 lot is sold). No amenities just a little landscaping at the entrance. The developer is still in charge but I hope we can do something about the dues once we take over. I think they are way too high for what we get.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,304,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssd3 View Post
We pay $600 a year. We have 39 lots in our neighborhood(only 8 homes at the moment and all but 1 lot is sold). No amenities just a little landscaping at the entrance. The developer is still in charge but I hope we can do something about the dues once we take over. I think they are way too high for what we get.
I would ask/demand a breakdown of expenses from the developer. They probably have a management company in place, which may be where you ultimately end up. They need to be able to account for where all the money is going.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:44 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,303,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I would ask/demand a breakdown of expenses from the developer. They probably have a management company in place, which may be where you ultimately end up. They need to be able to account for where all the money is going.
Thank you. We will do that. This is all new to us. I keep asking my husband with only 39 potential homes and no amenities do we really need a HOA???? Seems kind of crazy.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:47 PM

115 posts, read 265,498 times
I've been payin 153/mo and the only thing they're done is mow the 2 inches of lawn I have. The pool isn't even close to done.

Old 10-17-2008, 12:52 PM

1,181 posts, read 2,746,507 times
About 200+ homes with a pool and 2 entrances and a playground and several other common areas. $600 a year.

Old 10-17-2008, 01:49 PM

327 posts, read 1,057,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyV View Post
About 200+ homes with a pool and 2 entrances and a playground and several other common areas. $600 a year.
And I would be fine with that if we had those amenities, but we don't. So $500+/yr seems awfully steep. Total for the neighborhood is over $40k per year. Surely landscaping and 8 gas lanterns can't cost that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte