U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,652,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsha Dunn View Post
Our association has approximately 47 homeowners. We also have a lake. There are seven homes that are not directly on the lake. We all pay the same dues yearly ($450). Those of us not on the lake have no "direct" access to the lake. We finally got one small pier which has one boat tied to it, no others not on the lake have a boat. We have common ground that is not maintained, but those of us not on the lake are the only ones who care. The others, since they are directly on the lake have no need for "common ground". We want our dues dropped from what those directly on the lake pay, but are not having any luck because we don't have the numbers when they take a vote. Any suggestions on what we could do?
I don't agree w/your argument because you knew that going in. You can't pick and choose what dues you want to pay. Its like the people who don't want to pay taxes for public schools because they don't have any kids in it. Or another example are the people who don't want to pay because they don't use the community pool...give me a break......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 PM

3,756 posts, read 8,386,676 times
I belive you must look at the rules and regs including the convenants and restrictions that were in place when you bought into the community. Normally you have X amount of time to review these documents. Once at closing, you accept everything and agree to the provisions of the association. However, if you feel strongly, find an attorney who handles HOA's to get a legal valid opinion.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 PM

174 posts, read 421,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
I was informed yesterday that the HOA Management company for our subdivision wishes to increase our annual HOA dues from $275 to more than $500. I'm looking for comparable subdivisions and associated HOA dues to see if this is as ridiculous as I think it is.

Background on our subdivision:

Located in North Charlotte near Highland Creek
81 single family homes
No pool, no community center, just streets and houses
Nicely landscaped entrance (only 1 way into the neighborhood) similar to
many others, nothing elaborate, just a stone wall and some plantings
HOA board that consists of 7 members (who plan to fight the increase)
Semi-annual property inspection completed by our HOA board - letters
mailed from the Management Company, if needed

I think that's it. Basically, we were told when we moved in that our HOA dues went to upkeep of the entrance to the subdivision. There are no upgrades planned for increased responsibilities/duties for the HOA Management Company.

Aside from the usual "That's why I don't live in an HOA subdivision", any thoughts?
Seems pretty high considering you don't have ammenities to speak of. I paid $360 / year for pool, playground, nature trail in SW Charlotte (Steele Creek)

Old 09-20-2010, 01:37 PM

138 posts, read 373,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBIkid View Post
Well, that's exactly my point. We thought that $22,275 ($275 x 81 homes) was alot of money for upkeep of the landscaping when we moved in, but figured it wouldn't break us. But to increase it almost double the amount with no planned upgrades seems criminal to me.

Our board held a meeting last night to plot a course of action. I know this because I live next door to 2 of the board members and am friendly with both. I'm not yet sure of the outcome, but as had been said in another post, I believe that our board can choose to not renew the contract when it is up. I think this would be the best decision we could make.

I mean seriously, for ~$700 we could live IN Highland Creek and have access to 5 pools/community centers and countless other amenities.
According to NC Law, it is YOUR HOA BOARD that has the responsibility to vote on and establish a budget. The budget is what is used to set the annual dues. The HOA Mgt. Company is HIRED by the HOA BOARD to run the affairs of the HOA. It is NOT supposed to be doing the job of the board. Your Board needs to take control here. The Mgt. Company has NO LEGAL right to set the dues or adopt the budget.

Is the HOA Board controlled by the homeowners or the developer?

Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
Default More Money

We are in Raintree..We pay $157.00 amonth with increases on the way. We have a club, but pay for that seperately. We are hit with assessments a few times a year. Just found out we own the streets because for some unexplained reason, the builder opted to maintain ownership. Why in Gods name would he want to maintain ownership? What does he care. We have just been told asll the streets need to be replaced.
Time to move..
What I get for the money is most certainly not worth it.
Lets see..cutting my 10x20 foot grass area
water, garbage, and tons of aggravation.
mostly wanna be politicians

Old 05-20-2014, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 37,686 times
Smile Condo Dues

I'm interested in knowing what local individually owned condo/townhome HOA dues are and what is offered for the dues. I live in a planned community in North Charlotte in a one story brick condo. Our dues are based on square footage. Mine is about 1700 sq ft. My association covers our water bill, insect control and lawn maintenance. Everything outside of the drywall except our windows, garage doors and driveways. I pay 288.00 a month which is higher than any community I have been able to find. Approximately 52.00 of my dues go to our neighborhood at large...golf course, four swimming pools, sports club. We do have our own clubhouse in our small part of the community. I would appreciate your input about your community. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2014, 06:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,542,138 times
140/month here

Covers

-Exterior insurance on building
-Water
-Landscaping
-Pool/clubhouse
-Common area maintenance
-Maintenance on building of anything involving siding or roof

-Private owned roads, ugh, need to get out from that

Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,059,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Angel View Post
I'm interested in knowing what local individually owned condo/townhome HOA dues are and what is offered for the dues. I live in a planned community in North Charlotte in a one story brick condo. Our dues are based on square footage. Mine is about 1700 sq ft. My association covers our water bill, insect control and lawn maintenance. Everything outside of the drywall except our windows, garage doors and driveways. I pay 288.00 a month which is higher than any community I have been able to find. Approximately 52.00 of my dues go to our neighborhood at large...golf course, four swimming pools, sports club. We do have our own clubhouse in our small part of the community. I would appreciate your input about your community. Thanks!
First of all -- is this a gated community? Also, when you mention golf course, you get into a different ballgame.

In addition, do your dues allow you access to all the amenities, i.e., swimming pools, sports club, clubhouse, and golf course?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte