Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 09:06 PM

457 posts, read 1,371,922 times

Advertisements

I second that "trishlee", I've been in Charlotte for a year now, and I just love it...!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 09:09 PM

311 posts, read 912,613 times
I didn't say a zoo and aquarium is all it takes to make a place a great place to life.. I think it would just be nice and would add to the family activities. Discovery place is expensive if you have a lot of kids and can get kind of boring after awhile I would imagine. And who said an aquarium can only be in a coastal town or in Disney? I think if you are not rich enough to own a boat there is nothing to do by the lakes.. like actual lake activities, and how many times can one go paddle boating, is there? Did I miss something about lake norman? And just as you all say you're sick of northerners complaining, well maybe northerners are sick of people not giving people time to adjust. It is a BIGGER change that you can even begin to comprehend and not everyone is going to LOVE this city upon arrival, it's culture shock man and some people HAVE to move, so you can't entirely say "then don't come!" You don't know people's situations and sometimes a cheap house has to be the option for a family.. and Charlotte may be the place for that cheap house, but it does not mean they will love the area. And even if I grow to ABSOLUTELY adore it here, I will never call myself "one of you" or a southerner.. because I will just never be.. which is nothing for you to snarl at !!! Different mixes of people and backgrounds makes for a richer place, this is America hello! I don't understand why upon moving here I have to convert to a southerner and southern ways. Not that Charlotte is even so "south-ish". But anyway, being brought up somewhere becomes part of your personality and you just can't alter it because the culture wants you to! Just as much as you are a southerner and probably will always be.. it's the same for others from other places. I am not necessarily dumping on Charlotte.. I just don't understand this conversion thing. I have a northern accent, and it will never change no matter if you say it will over time, I will always like the foods I grew up with up north, I will probably always have a different kind of mentality than people down here, NY will always be "better" to me just because everyone usually has fond memories of their upbringing and whatnot.. I will always LOVE that place my family is there, and that is FINE, those things are not going to change it's a part of who I am and just because I have moved doesn't mean anything, just let it be. I mean I understand you don't want people complaining about your home city.. I know, I H A T E when people on here bash NY because it is my pride & joy and most of it is blind judgment, but just let everyone be.. if they want to seek out italian food, let them gosh darnit. And if you want to find sweet tea in NY, well good luck I've never seen it up there. lol but I wouldn't expect you to stop drinking it if you moved up north or something.. it's just a part of you!! I think everyone just goes into massive defense mode when their home city is attacked and I am certainly defensive myself if something is said about NY esp if its not true or whatever. My husband and I are here because it is way affordable and we haven't come across another place that is as suburban AND affordable as Charlotte. And while I had an awful attitude towards it in the beginning of coming here, I am beginning to adjust.. just give me time lol I need time!! My sister and her husband are thinking of moving here eventually and it's just nice that a place like Charlotte exists where people can live near their families again. For us, we are young and being up north is just too expensive and we can't live near our family.. but maybe in Charlotte we'll have that chance. I appreciate your helpfulness to all posters on here ANi.. seriously, you should start a welcome wagon thing like in "Where the Heart Is". Love that movie! Oh well, let's just make try to make nice in this melting pot called Charlotte.. that is all!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:11 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
TRISHLEE and UNCGDad . . . glad you all have gotten settled in and are happy here. It took me longer than a year to adjust to moving back to Charlotte . . . and I am a native!!!! So I am really happy to hear you all like it here . . .

Old 10-19-2008, 09:15 PM

Thanks Ani, it sure helps that my son and daughter live uptown, now all I have to do is secure a job after losing mine in August...

Old 10-19-2008, 09:16 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,394,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Hi there:

I'm an NJ native myself and I'm proud to say that Charlotte is the second best place I've lived in my 40+ years. Guess what? NJ is not the best place on my list either. So, there goes your northern exposure theory. As a northern native, even I get disgusted by people coming down here and trying to make this area the same as where they come from.

The point of my post is that it's one thing for the OP to say Charlotte is not what they thought it would be, but the OP (a "one post wonder" I might add) flat out dumped on the place we call home with generalized and unsupported statements. So, their comments are being rightfully received with the C-D version of a "Bronx cheer" from us happy residents.

Rude? No. Calling a line of crap "a line of crap"? Oh yeah.

Oh BTW, a zoo and aquarium is all it takes to make a place great to live? Hmmm. OK. Well, aside from using the crappy infrastructure to take day trips to the mountains or other nearby cities, I kind of like going to Discovery Place, spending time on the lakes we supposedly don't have, going to shows at Blumenthal, seeing the animals at Lazy 5, and such.

Wow, I guess I never stopped to realize what a crappy area we live in. DOH!

Post over. Have a good evening!

O K A Y..... let me try that again...

Thank you my friend - YOU apparently get the problem with this OP's comments and appreciate what we are trying to say. Rep points to you!

And I love the idea of "Bronx Cheer" - guess this is our version of "Charlotte Cheer"

Old 10-19-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncgdad1 View Post
Thanks Ani, it sure helps that my son and daughter live uptown, now all I have to do is secure a job after losing mine in August...
Yikes, sorry to hear that uncgdad Here's hoping it won't take much longer. The job market is tight here, but people are still hiring in certain fields. Meanwhile, try to get out and enjoy some our beautiful city on these nice clear fall days There are certainly worse places, much less enjoyable, to be unemployed in!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM

Thanks "loves.." isn't this weather spectacular..!!!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:20 PM

755 posts, read 2,484,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
We have our problems here in Charlotte - just like any city - especially one that has grown so quickly in the last few years.
Ani, those problems were around when I first moved to Charlotte 15 years ago - they can't be blamed on growth.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:26 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,166,091 times
ROFL!!! Okay, okay HomeSweetHome. . . glad you came back and posted. You explained things a lot more succinctly in this last post.

As for "Where the Heart Is" - that is one of my favorite movies! I bet I have seen it two dozen times! And the "Welcome Wagon" Hee Hee Hee. Honey, if I knew where you were, I would bring you a Rose of Sharon - sorry, no Buckeyes!!!!

No one expects you to change your accent! It would be disingenuous and silly! My DH is from the Midwest and he sounds ridiculous when he tries to "talk Southern." No one cares about your accent. And we understand that you miss certain foods . . .

But here is where you are getting things mixed up . . . when I go to NYC (and I LOVE NYC!!!) . . . I would never THINK about seeking out sweetened tea or BBQ . . . and I sure as heck would never say anything to anyone about missing it. I just find new substitutes - I adjust.

No one is asking you to give up the things you love (and miss). But dear me . . . all the kvetching about what isn't here . . . don't do it. It will only make your adjustment more difficult. Find new things and stock up on the others stuff (food, memories, entertainment) when you visit back home.

It appears you are homesick. We all understand being homesick . . .

Old 10-19-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
I didn't say a zoo and aquarium is all it takes to make a place a great place to life.. I think it would just be nice and would add to the family activities. Discovery place is expensive if you have a lot of kids and can get kind of boring after awhile I would imagine. And who said an aquarium can only be in a coastal town or in Disney? I think if you are not rich enough to own a boat there is nothing to do by the lakes.. like actual lake activities, and how many times can one go paddle boating, is there? Did I miss something about lake norman? And just as you all say you're sick of northerners complaining, well maybe northerners are sick of people not giving people time to adjust. It is a BIGGER change that you can even begin to comprehend and not everyone is going to LOVE this city upon arrival, it's culture shock man and some people HAVE to move, so you can't entirely say "then don't come!" You don't know people's situations and sometimes a cheap house has to be the option for a family.. and Charlotte may be the place for that cheap house, but it does not mean they will love the area. And even if I grow to ABSOLUTELY adore it here, I will never call myself "one of you" or a southerner.. because I will just never be.. which is nothing for you to snarl at !!! Different mixes of people and backgrounds makes for a richer place, this is America hello! I don't understand why upon moving here I have to convert to a southerner and southern ways. Not that Charlotte is even so "south-ish". But anyway, being brought up somewhere becomes part of your personality and you just can't alter it because the culture wants you to! Just as much as you are a southerner and probably will always be.. it's the same for others from other places. I am not necessarily dumping on Charlotte.. I just don't understand this conversion thing. I have a northern accent, and it will never change no matter if you say it will over time, I will always like the foods I grew up with up north, I will probably always have a different kind of mentality than people down here, NY will always be "better" to me just because everyone usually has fond memories of their upbringing and whatnot.. I will always LOVE that place my family is there, and that is FINE, those things are not going to change it's a part of who I am and just because I have moved doesn't mean anything, just let it be. I mean I understand you don't want people complaining about your home city.. I know, I H A T E when people on here bash NY because it is my pride & joy and most of it is blind judgment, but just let everyone be.. if they want to seek out italian food, let them gosh darnit. And if you want to find sweet tea in NY, well good luck I've never seen it up there. lol but I wouldn't expect you to stop drinking it if you moved up north or something.. it's just a part of you!! I think everyone just goes into massive defense mode when their home city is attacked and I am certainly defensive myself if something is said about NY esp if its not true or whatever. My husband and I are here because it is way affordable and we haven't come across another place that is as suburban AND affordable as Charlotte. And while I had an awful attitude towards it in the beginning of coming here, I am beginning to adjust.. just give me time lol I need time!! My sister and her husband are thinking of moving here eventually and it's just nice that a place like Charlotte exists where people can live near their families again. For us, we are young and being up north is just too expensive and we can't live near our family.. but maybe in Charlotte we'll have that chance. I appreciate your helpfulness to all posters on here ANi.. seriously, you should start a welcome wagon thing like in "Where the Heart Is". Love that movie! Oh well, let's just make try to make nice in this melting pot called Charlotte.. that is all!
Ani does actaully resemble Stockard Channing a bit...hmmmmm....Ani, there may be a future in this idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte