U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 06:45 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonypon123 View Post
Bank of America and Wachovia are Charlotte's backbone,
With them gone, the city will lose a lot of what makes it Urban, and stand out from Raleigh.
I do think that if the banks fall, then Raleigh will eventually catch up with Charlotte, maybe in 40 years?

But
Bank of America's losses weren't as bad as expected, and with all the extra money pouringg in, they'll get back on track soon.
Yep, you are so on target. Once the banks all leave and take their buildings with them, we will be rolling up the streets of Charlotte and >POOF< Charlotte will exist no more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 09:41 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
I read this today.....

Todays Outrage: Bank of Americas Secret Backroom Bailout: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Just disgusting....the whole thing.

Who do you believe anymore? The banks all lie, Paulson, the whole bunch. Ken Lewis is just a clone of Ken Thompson.........no one knows where all of OUR money is going...their all criminals in my book.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:47 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,132,403 times
and, all the while, they refused to help Wachovia...

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 PM

6,272 posts, read 10,029,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
Bank of America. The bigger they are, the harder they fall? Isn't there an inherent risk in Charlotte putting all of its eggs in Bank of America's basket? What will happen to Charlotte if they go under?
Well, I seriously doubt Charlotte will stop growing. Atlanta lost it's title as the financial center of the south to Charlotte (back when Atlanta was nearly the size of present day Charlotte) and Atlanta has done quite well since then. Asking the question "What will happen to Charlotte when the banks go?" is about as silly as asking "What will happen to Charlotte if it lost the Headquarters for Nascar and US Airways?" Well guess what folks, Charlotte is NOT the HeadQuarters for either US Airways or Nascar yet both are major players in Charlotte anyway. Some of our newcomers need to understand that banking is not Charlotte's only claim to fame nor is it the sole catalyst for growth in Charlotte. Here is Charlotte's population growth over the decades.

Historical populations for Charlotte
1880 7,094
1890 12,000
1900 19,000
1910 34,000
1920 70,983
1930 85,864
1940 100,899
1950 134,042
1960 201,564
1970 241,178
1980 315,473
1990 395,934
2000 540,828

2010 will put Charlotte at about 700,000. The growth rate from 1990 to 2010 (the banking years for Charlotte) isn't even close to the rate of growth Charlotte saw from 1900 to 1920. From 1940 to 1960, Charlotte's population doubled. Charlotte's population NEVER doubled in 20 years during the banking days. Charlotte even posted positive growth during the Great Depression!!! Over the years, Charlotte has seen the rise and fall of many industries and still kept growing. As long as the American South continues to boom, Charlotte will continue to be one of the booming leaders. Why on Earth would someone bet against a community with over 120 consecutive years of steady growth!!!

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 01-16-2009 at 11:53 PM..

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM

1,155 posts, read 3,149,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I read this today.....

Todays Outrage: Bank of Americas Secret Backroom Bailout: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Just disgusting....the whole thing.

Who do you believe anymore? The banks all lie, Paulson, the whole bunch. Ken Lewis is just a clone of Ken Thompson.........no one knows where all of OUR money is going...their all criminals in my book.

Now I'll get off my soapbox.
Yup, exactly the reason I closed my B of A Visa card yesterday and opened a checking account with another bank NOT mixed up in all this bailout garbage, in preparation of closing my B of A checking account in PROTEST of their despicable actions. I wish all B of A customers that could do so would also join the protest and take their money elsewhere.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:38 AM

249 posts, read 798,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, I don't wish any bank ill (after all, I work for one) but, I guess that this was a wake-up call for BOA who was, IMO, acting pretty arrogant prior to this. Also, I really agree that the CW purchase will become THEIR Golden West. (if it hasn't already)
There are HUGE differences between the Golden West and Country Wide deals. There is no comparison when you look at how much was spent on Golden West, Wachovia bought them right before the subprimes were about to blow at the peak of their value. Now that's not to say CW may turn out to be a good investment for BofA, I don't think anyone knows at this point... but the amount invested in the deal is trivial compared to GW.

In regards to ML, BofA wanted to walk away from the deal at one point but the gov't basically "enticed" them not to for the greater good of the overall economy. Not saying BofA is perfect, because they're not, but what will happen next in this lousy economy is anyone's guess.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:40 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,055,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdljr View Post
yup, exactly the reason i closed my b of a visa card yesterday and opened a checking account with another bank not mixed up in all this bailout garbage, in preparation of closing my b of a checking account in protest of their despicable actions. I wish all b of a customers that could do so would also join the protest and take their money elsewhere.
+1

Old 01-17-2009, 08:52 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,677,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
There are HUGE differences between the Golden West and Country Wide deals. There is no comparison when you look at how much was spent on Golden West, Wachovia bought them right before the subprimes were about to blow at the peak of their value. Now that's not to say CW may turn out to be a good investment for BofA, I don't think anyone knows at this point... but the amount invested in the deal is trivial compared to GW.

In regards to ML, BofA wanted to walk away from the deal at one point but the gov't basically "enticed" them not to for the greater good of the overall economy. Not saying BofA is perfect, because they're not, but what will happen next in this lousy economy is anyone's guess.
It doesn't matter what was spent on Countrywide. A bad deal is a bad deal.

Time will tell, but it looks like he's 0 for 2 here.....

Yes, Govco "enticed" BofA, but again, Lewis did not have a gun to his head. I don't care if they offered him a trillion dollars, He didn't HAVE to do the deal. Now he's got these two companies that he's got to make work. Good luck...

Old 01-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
It doesn't matter what was spent on Countrywide. A bad deal is a bad deal.

Time will tell, but it looks like he's 0 for 2 here.....

Yes, Govco "enticed" BofA, but again, Lewis did not have a gun to his head. I don't care if they offered him a trillion dollars, He didn't HAVE to do the deal. Now he's got these two companies that he's got to make work. Good luck...
And, CW was (is) bigger and encompassed a larger share of the bad (toxic) loan market. I worked there for a small three month time period quite a few years ago and was appalled at the way they underwrote and approved loans. The potential for massive losses is far greater than the GW deal. The thing that brought Wachovia down was not what was paid for GW, but the loans themselves. Little known fact: CW also offered negative am mortgages as well as doing a lot of other questionable practices. That is why they are also under scrutiny by the feds. I think that the combination of CW & ML will bode badly for BOA and they will have a tough time getting through this.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 AM

Hmmmm.

BofA's Ken Lewis faces growing pressure over deals | CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/597/story/480215.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte