U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 07:18 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,411,390 times

Advertisements

Me: Waiting to go through Eastway at Central

You: Made U-turn without yielding and then proceed to block traffic by getting out of your car and start yelling at the people who made a legal turn and honked the horn at you. You got back in your car and then GOT OUT AGAIN! So friggin' hot! You proceed to yell at more drivers and allow no one to get through the intersection. I think it is so hot how you think that the rules of the road don't apply to you, that your time is so much more valuable than that of the people who were minding their own business until they met the delay that was caused by your pissy attitude.

Please contact me at learntherulesoftheroad@getbackinyourcar.nut

I wish I was making this stuff up, but I'm not. I figured the sign that said "U-turn must yield" was clear anough for even the most dense of drivers. But, apparently not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 07:25 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Wonder if that is the same person who nearly caused DH and me to have an accident on Rea Road when she decided to do a U-Turn w/ oncoming traffic. This was last night. We just couldn't believe it. She tried to make a U-Turn as the light switched to green - like she had the right of way rather than oncoming traffic having the right of way. We were all slamming on brakes and luckily, DH was able to swerve w/o hitting the car beside us - they had slammed on brakes when they saw what was happening.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:19 PM

578 posts, read 2,352,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
LMAOROF!!! That is toooo funny!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:32 PM

2,193 posts, read 4,535,870 times
Three times in the past two weeks we were waiting to turn left at a left turn signal. The light turned green so we were about to turn and a car from the opposite direction started going straight!!!! Right into us. I guess the driver saw the LEFT turn signal and thought his light turned green so he went. I know when I am going straight and see the left turn signal turn green, I feel an urge to go but then realize it's not my light.

What's so odd is this happened to us THREE times in the past three weeks. I don't know what people are thinking?!

Old 10-19-2008, 09:41 PM

I've done that a couple of times in the past. Funny thing is that it's always been when I'm lighting a cigarette.

Conclusion......smoking leads to running red lights. lol

Old 10-19-2008, 09:46 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
I've done that a couple of times in the past. Funny thing is that it's always been when I'm lighting a cigarette.

Conclusion......smoking leads to running red lights. lol
It was dark last nite when we had the near-miss, but DH swears she had a phone to her ear. Now I am not so sure . . . but he says she was distracted b/c of the cell phone.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:54 PM

3,819 posts, read 5,176,675 times
I will say that stoplights should be universal across the US.
Where I am from, a left turn signal can show 3 things: Green arrow (go), yellow- but I am not counting that, solid red (stop) and blinking red (you may go if it is safe to do so).
Here, the green arrow disappears and often just turns into a solid green light. Without warning! And, you are expected to know this means to stop and only turn if it is safe to do so. I, personally, am an overly cautious driver because I do not trust other people- thanks to a really bad car accident previously. So, I figured this out in about 2 seconds. But, I know not all people can problem solve instantly, and would not know this and turn out in front of someone, not realizing they are not supposed to.
I have learned to be especially careful driving here due to the large number of people who are new or visiting. I lived in Michigan- which is too cold for tourists (LOL) and never has people passing through since it is a peninsula
Anyway, a universal policy would alleviate a lot of problems across all of the states.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:06 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,484,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
I will say that stoplights should be universal across the US.
Where I am from, a left turn signal can show 3 things: Green arrow (go), yellow- but I am not counting that, solid red (stop) and blinking red (you may go if it is safe to do so).
Here, the green arrow disappears and often just turns into a solid green light. Without warning! And, you are expected to know this means to stop and only turn if it is safe to do so. I, personally, am an overly cautious driver because I do not trust other people- thanks to a really bad car accident previously. So, I figured this out in about 2 seconds. But, I know not all people can problem solve instantly, and would not know this and turn out in front of someone, not realizing they are not supposed to.
I have learned to be especially careful driving here due to the large number of people who are new or visiting. I lived in Michigan- which is too cold for tourists (LOL) and never has people passing through since it is a peninsula
Anyway, a universal policy would alleviate a lot of problems across all of the states.
I thought the signage and lights worked great in Flint Michigan they even have lighted "Turn Left" sign really cool. And I find the side ways stop lights horizontal with red on the right and green on the left visually better.
I concur I think they should be universal no matter what city you are in the USA but I am trying to figure what state that lady is from that Spanky is referring. If she got out of your car to hollar then someone needs to take her back to k-mart to get a new license

Old 10-19-2008, 10:20 PM

One of these days, one of these people are going to really be on the ball and just plow into the person not yielding for the u-turn. That one would be a total no-brainer for the police. Its kind of creepy how fast you can find yourself staring at the side of a car when they refused to yield. I've been in that spot and I know of a few other people who have as well. I'm generally looking for pedestrians, not for people who don't yield.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:16 AM

575 posts, read 1,350,022 times
Quote:
Me: Waiting to go through Eastway at Central

You: Made U-turn without yielding and then proceed to block traffic by getting out of your car and start yelling at the people who made a legal turn and honked the horn at you. You got back in your car and then GOT OUT AGAIN! So friggin' hot! You proceed to yell at more drivers and allow no one to get through the intersection. I think it is so hot how you think that the rules of the road don't apply to you, that your time is so much more valuable than that of the people who were minding their own business until they met the delay that was caused by your pissy attitude.

Please contact me at learntherulesoftheroad@getbackinyourcar.nut

I wish I was making this stuff up, but I'm not. I figured the sign that said "U-turn must yield" was clear anough for even the most dense of drivers. But, apparently not.
I've seen that attitude often. 95% of the time it comes from the same demographic that will vote for The One at a rate of 95%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or