U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 11:00 AM

973 posts, read 2,973,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
We've never had that happen with our system. Now my parents' system used to go off randomly in the night. Nothing like meeting the cops in the kitchen when you're naked!
Maybe the cops like what they saw and kept setting off the alarm themselves!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
When we lived in Virginia, ADT was the major company in our subdivision. My next door neighbor would purposely trigger his alarm evey few months, just to see how ADT responded. The response was not the same each time. It was actually pathetic, especially if you put yourself in Himain's scenario of "what if someone was actually in the house" at the time. Yikes!
CPI suggests you test their system every month. Our representative said they have someone who tests it every night to make sure its working.

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,193,442 times
I do not have CPI. However, our alarm has gone off from someone just messing w/ the back door - attempting to see if it was locked. That someone was my DS. Scared the bejeebers outta him and showed me that my system is hair trigger, wh/ I like.

My thought is . . . that this could have truly been someone jiggling the handle to see what would happen. At least, that is what I would think is more likely than FROST, for heaven's sake.

Why don't you recreate the circumstances and see if by simply grabbing the handle and forcing it - the alarm will activate?

Old 10-21-2008, 01:11 PM

11,836 posts, read 25,482,883 times
I'd always thought that the call center for ADT was here in Charlotte. But the last time I spoke to a rep, I discovered that it was in Florida.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:35 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,069,282 times
I've had a few issues with my CPI when the phone will ring as it normally does and a voice will come over the loudspeaker and say something. It's very creepy and kind of scary. It doesn't happen often but nobody @ CPI can explain it.

This whole 2 way speaker thing kind of trips me out. I sometimes think they turn it on just so they can eavesdrop in on the goings on in my house Seriously, they can hear you whisper!!!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:45 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,753,876 times
We had a big CPI foul up at a business I was in. The guy brought in lots of stickers and the things that go in the ground to compensate for their mistake.

I have those everywhere, but no alarm. I think that will about cover what I need/what I would get from alarm company.

lln

Old 10-21-2008, 04:52 PM

5 posts, read 19,512 times
Alarm South is great. My husband accidentally set off the alarm and they called the police and then they called our phones to confirm. They called the police to let them know it was a false alarm for us. I also like that I own all of the equipment, rather than CPI or Brinks, that if you discontinue service, they can come take all of equipment out of your house. I googled them before buying and was surprised with what I found.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,311,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I've had a few issues with my CPI when the phone will ring as it normally does and a voice will come over the loudspeaker and say something. It's very creepy and kind of scary. It doesn't happen often but nobody @ CPI can explain it.

This whole 2 way speaker thing kind of trips me out. I sometimes think they turn it on just so they can eavesdrop in on the goings on in my house Seriously, they can hear you whisper!!!
I had the same thing happen to me last week. Very creepy. I did not call CPI to ask about it. I probably should.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:35 PM

1,670 posts, read 5,809,766 times
I had my alarm system tripped by a helium balloon. Never knew the alarm system was so sensitive until I got the call. Once they checked m apartment, they let me know it was the floating balloon. It scared the heck out of me since I was out of state. I've learned not to have balloons moving carelessly in the air.

Himain, CPI was definitely in the wrong and should've dispatched an officer immediately.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM

14,123 posts, read 20,901,099 times
I need to get a landline phone as my internet phone through TW is out and I had no idea. It's only here for the alarm and fax. I'm going to test the door to see if it gets giggled hard enough, will it set the alarm off? I AM going to pursue this with CPI. You can bet that. I paid $1100 for the system and of course its $46 a month monitoring. ALSO, my alarm will also beep and tell me cell back up open. This likes to happen at 2 and 3 am. I had CPI out and they said the cell towers could be going down and thats why its tripping the lady to talk to me. Nothing like two beep and "cell back up open" once a week at 3am. FUN!!! I'll keep you guys posted.

PS-I do have the apple headset for the Iphone but its in the car. Maybe I should buy a duplicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte