U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 AM

14,115 posts, read 20,814,156 times

Advertisements

and dreaming and all of a sudden my house alarm goes off. For CPI people, my lady is saying back door alarm. It's 1:30am. Talk about WTF for a second until you realize what's going on. I mean I literally shot out of bed! The bf was heading to the bathroom when the alarm went off. (He's never heard it as he was at work when installed and tested). So he kinda froze and totally looked like a deer in headlights and I'm like grab the Mossberg!!!!! So we're heading downstairs, both armed, expecting I don't know what and there's NOTHING. Nada, zilch. Now I'm like the wtf????!!!! CPI doesn't come over the speaker nor call me/bf. I'm like that's kinda odd. So I call them about 3 minutes later after inspecting property. They say my phone line is out and they left a message at one of the numbers-Guess what?? My bf's work where obviously he isn't. They didn't even try the other 2 numbers which are our cells. (I paid for cellback up) They hadn't even dispatched police yet. Their policy is to come over speaker. If that isn't working, then call all numbers, then dispatch. The funny thing is that when I was heading out the master door, I hit the police emergency button on panel because the alarm shouldn't have been going off without something going on. I asked CPI why the cops weren't here when I hit the button. They said they go through numbers and then dispatch. I'm screaming at the lady saying it's now been 7 minutes and god knows what could have happened IF someone was really in my house!!!!!! I'm assuming you hit the emergency button for a reason if the alarm is going on-police should be dispatched right then and there!
I know I can multi task but I don't think I could be blowing someone away and answering my Iphone at same time, LOL. Anyways, the point to this rant is that CPI said that sometimes the change of weather can cause the alarm to trip. Anyone else agree with that?? Before I head off to the mountains, and probably fly off one due to non sleep, I'm going to test the door to see maybe if someone had tried to open it and thats what set it off. GREAT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:27 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,301,870 times
That stinks. I also have CPI so this is not very encouraging to me. I have set my alarm off by accident a couple of times and they were able to come over the loudspeaker very quickly. In your situation they should have sent the police out since you pushed the panic button. I was told if the phone lines were "cut" or out that they would assume there was a problem and send the police out. I would complain to managment. It does not sound like proper procedure was followed. Thanks God it was nothing this time.

Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,745,866 times
I would push this issue if I were you. You have this alarm system for a reason and it's not doing what its supposed to. The company failed to do anything it promised. I would push and push until I got someone out there to test the system or got my money back and went with someone else.

I know I'm making it sound easy when it's probably not going to be, but what if it was something serious? What then? Can you really afford to drop the subject? In the end, it's up to you, but that's what I would do.

Glad that you and yours are OK.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:00 AM

852 posts, read 2,214,455 times
I work for an alarm company and I have not heard about change of weather related incidences. Definitely lighting and maybe hard rain but not frost. Did the phone problem set it off, did it think the phone lines were cut? So many people do not update their notification numbers and the alarm company can't get anyone. Did they actually call the police, do you have a permit for your alarm, police will not despatch unless there is a permit ( I think Union may not need one). Your panic button - did you specifically tell them to despatch first and then notify or notify, verify and then despatch. These are just the questions that I deal with daily (I do not work for CPI btw or ADI just a smaller one with same issues). Hope you get it sorted out.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:12 AM

630 posts, read 1,674,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I know I can multi task but I don't think I could be blowing someone away and answering my Iphone at same time, LOL.. GREAT
You need a bluetooth headset. That way you can rack and shoot while talking.

At least it was a good test in case there was a real emergency. You shot up out of bed and went for the Mossy. That's my gut reaction too.

Old 10-21-2008, 08:20 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,032,227 times
I think it is a fluke.
I have CPI at home and the office.
The office has been set off numerous times and it all worked as advertised.
Come over speaker, if no response dispatch police and start calling down the contact list.

LOL, flexysteve (re get the BT headset for the iPhone).

Old 10-21-2008, 09:33 AM

19,813 posts, read 55,753,584 times
If someone shakes my back door hard, like trying to see if it will open, the alarm goes off. You might have had a "real" incident.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:46 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,430,019 times
We've never had that happen with our system. Now my parents' system used to go off randomly in the night. Nothing like meeting the cops in the kitchen when you're naked!

Old 10-21-2008, 10:54 AM

7,180 posts, read 11,194,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
Nothing like meeting the cops in the kitchen when you're naked!
Using my best Joey Tribiani imitiation from Friends: "How u doin'?"

Old 10-21-2008, 10:56 AM

7,180 posts, read 11,194,010 times
When we lived in Virginia, ADT was the major company in our subdivision. My next door neighbor would purposely trigger his alarm evey few months, just to see how ADT responded. The response was not the same each time. It was actually pathetic, especially if you put yourself in Himain's scenario of "what if someone was actually in the house" at the time. Yikes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte