U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 07:54 AM

37 posts, read 128,630 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about this grocery store? Do they sell fresh produce with a large variety including international types? Do they sell food items, spices, and products from all over the world? Do they have a deli as well as a fresh seafood department and meat shoppe? Do they have a bakery?

Please bare with me, I'm VERY new to Charlotte (we moved here from Cincinnati, Ohio a little over two weeks ago) and looking for a grocery store as described. I have been to Earths Fare (about a 28 min. drive for me from University City, Arbors area), and it is a lovely store, but I'm looking for something more economical (we are a family of seven) maybe larger and not necessarily geared mainly toward organics or whole foods...although if the store has a section that offers such products, it would be nice.

If anyone out there is familiar with the Cincinnati area, I'm looking for a grocery store comparable to Jungle Jim's International Market - Six Acres of Food Under One Roof - 5440 Dixie Hwy., Fairfield, OH 45014. A close alternative will suffice too

Thanks for any advice

Cincynurse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 09:00 AM

149 posts, read 586,100 times
ttt most internaional places i have found are 99% mexican

Old 10-21-2008, 09:20 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,880,895 times
Compare foods is hispanic but they do have an excellent produce section and the meats good as well, I think you will like the pricing as well.

Old 10-21-2008, 10:23 AM

905 posts, read 3,068,338 times
I have never been to the Market you are asking about but I wish we had a Jungle Jim's here in CLT, the place looks awesome. There were plans for a similar store but they never came to fruition. Most ethnic grocery stores here tend to cater to their own niche. I can recommend a great Asian Market though! International Food Market @ the corner of Tryon and Sugar Creek. Its maybe 3 miles from the intersection of Independence and Eastway Dr. an easy drive from there. They have a huge selection and excellent prices. There are two markets at this strip mall, don't bother with New Century, very unorganized!

Old 10-21-2008, 04:02 PM

37 posts, read 128,630 times
Thanks everyone for your responses...including the private ones I received as well Well, there seems to be a consensus that what I'm looking for just ain't here for now , so I'll check out some of the other places that were mentioned to me. I will hold out hope that one day Charlotte will open a fabulous international produce and foods market

I have to say the my family and I - husband of 16 years and our five children ages 13, 12, 11, 9, 7...and two cats - are settling in nicely. I am a nurse by profession, but a full-time SAHM for now...possibly for good, God willing. We are also a homeschooling family as well. I must say I am really liking the vibe here MUCH more than Cincinnati (born and raised there). Cincinnati is starting to be referred to as the "old South"...very conservative and set in it's ways, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I digress, not here to bash Cincinnati... We moved to Charlotte due to my husband accepting a wonderful job offer from an engineering firm Uptown and they also included a very nice sized relocation bonus. Just one of those things that are too good to pass up, especially in this economy! When we sat down and dotted every i and crossed every t we just couldn't think of a good enough reason to not relocate. He definetly wasn't making the income he knows he's worth in Cincinnati, so the offer from the Charlotte firm was a true blessing and breath of fresh air indeed. There is only a 2% difference in cost of living between Cincinnati and Charlotte...the increase is in healthcare. The firm is ranked somewhere in the top 10 in the nation, so needless to say my husband couldn't get here fast enough We found an excellent realtor here in Charlotte from Cincinnati and things were pretty much smooth sailing from there. God definetly had/has a plan for us Enough of my babble. Thanks again for the advice

Cincynurse (and I'm probably going to need to change that username huh? )

Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,128,863 times
I just went in there this morning and discovered two things:

1. It was mostly Asian food. My opinion is that when the place has International somewhere in the name it is usually an Asian place. If it is Hispanic it will usually have Spanish words in the name.
2. It stunk to high heaven! I like a lot of ethnic foods but it is too much for even me. Whatever spices or aromas I was picking up, I did not like them.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I just went in there this morning and discovered two things:

1. It was mostly Asian food. My opinion is that when the place has International somewhere in the name it is usually an Asian place. If it is Hispanic it will usually have Spanish words in the name.
2. It stunk to high heaven! I like a lot of ethnic foods but it is too much for even me. Whatever spices or aromas I was picking up, I did not like them.

If you go through the door on the seafood side it smells like that but it goes away as you move away. The scent does not bother me, I am more open to that sort of thing.
They sell mainly asian to include thai, japanese, chinese, korean, phillipian, and indian. In addition they also have hispanic to include puerto rican and mexican, you can also find jamaican as well. I found a wide varitey of produce for all over asian to the caribbean.
I was pleased with the selection. It is just like one in Northern VA that I visit called Global.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:22 PM

21,980 posts, read 27,258,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanqueen View Post
If you go through the door on the seafood side it smells like that but it goes away as you move away. The scent does not bother me, I am more open to that sort of thing.
They sell mainly asian to include thai, japanese, chinese, korean, phillipian, and indian. In addition they also have hispanic to include puerto rican and mexican, you can also find jamaican as well. I found a wide varitey of produce for all over asian to the caribbean.
I was pleased with the selection. It is just like one in Northern VA that I visit called Global.
Is it like H-Mart (Hahn ah Reum)?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:57 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,056,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Is it like H-Mart (Hahn ah Reum)?

Sorry, I am not familiar with that one.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:58 AM

209 posts, read 618,870 times
I bet I can find squid jerky and dried mango there, huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte