U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-23-2008, 12:22 AM

9,236 posts, read 5,217,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
My Pookie will make stride efforts to make sure we walk around the same side of poles or obstacles in our path as we stroll.

Pookie theory that it a sign that something will become between us if we dont walk around it together.

Pookie is right. LOL ... I was raised to believe that and to this day still walk around the same side of whatever the obstacle may be. Thus far nothing has ever come between me and my parents ... me and my husband or children. So see it works!

The founder of one of the local funeral homes here could 'talk' warts off ... yesss ... if you had warts on the toes or hands and stopped by he was more then happy to sit down with you and look at the warts and do whatever and the warts would disappear ... never to return.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 12:15 AM

14,699 posts, read 14,167,055 times
Putting pennies on the eyes of dead people so they can pay the ferryman.

Honking when entering a tunnel to scare away evil spirits that may be hiding there.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,320,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Wow, I have never heard of any of these. I am not superstitious at all. Bring on the black cats and broken mirrors!

Dawn
I didn't really want a black cat, but of the 4 kittens to choose from he was the only one with 6 toes on each paw, so I chose him. Polydactyl cats are supposed to be good luck so I was hoping the good would outweigh the bad. He's 14 years old and so far so good. He is our 2nd polydactyl cat, I just love his big mits!

I won't put a hat or purse on any bed, bad luck.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,252,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Putting pennies on the eyes of dead people so they can pay the ferryman.

Honking when entering a tunnel to scare away evil spirits that may be hiding there.
L I'll B.... I never knew that is why people beep. I just thought it was to hear the echo??? Never too old to learn huh.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 PM

693 posts, read 1,449,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Wow, I have never heard of any of these. I am not superstitious at all. Bring on the black cats and broken mirrors!

Dawn
I adopted a black cat on New Years Eve... she has brought me quite a bit of luck.

My big superstition is that I try very hard not to jinx things...that is, I don't assume out loud that things will go well until they happen. I have heard this called "Jinxing" "turning the evil eye" and in Italian "Maloike".

And if you happen to accidentally jinx something...better "knock on wood"

Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 PM

1,411 posts, read 2,351,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post

I won't put a hat or purse on any bed, bad luck.
Yes, yes, yes... a thousand times yes! I didn't know about the purse one, but hat-on-a-bed? Just begging for trouble! And I'm sooo glad you posted this! My fiancée thinks I'm either crazy or just making this up and now I have proof! From the internets even! What higher authority could there be?!? Thanks!

Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 4,320,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
Yes, yes, yes... a thousand times yes! I didn't know about the purse one, but hat-on-a-bed? Just begging for trouble! And I'm sooo glad you posted this! My fiancée thinks I'm either crazy or just making this up and now I have proof! From the internets even! What higher authority could there be?!? Thanks!
That's something my grandmother always told me. Even when I go to someone's house and they say to toss my purse on the bed, I put it on the floor.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:44 PM

1,893 posts, read 3,252,115 times
What do they say will happen if you do?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,991,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
What do they say will happen if you do?
let me guess... the dreaded "bad luck"...

Y'all have some weird stuff going on.

Of course, they used to think the sun was drawn across the sky by chariots too...

Old 11-18-2008, 06:03 PM

5,444 posts, read 5,185,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy View Post
That's something my grandmother always told me. Even when I go to someone's house and they say to toss my purse on the bed, I put it on the floor.
Funny, about purse on floor.Quite the opposite in a country I visit frequently. Purse on the floor..walks out the door!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: