Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 08:29 PM

23 posts, read 94,078 times

Advertisements

hey guys - i hope everyone is doing great!
i was wondering..
i live in monroe and the street i am on is pitch dark at night.
i dont like to go outside at night because its so dark that i can't see anything...i have a big lot and lots of pets - someone could creep up behind me and i wouldnt notice till it was too late I have a few light posts but I was just wondering if there was anyway the city would put some of those big light posts on our road. or if anyone knew how that worked..how we would be able to get them to do it because i see a few roads that have them.
any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated!
take care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:26 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodaz View Post
i was wondering..
i dont like to go outside at night because its so dark that i can't see anything...i have a big lot and lots of pets - someone could creep up behind me and i wouldnt notice till it was too late I have a few light posts but I was just wondering if there was anyway the city would put some of those big light posts on our road. or if anyone knew how that worked..how we would be able to get them to do it because i see a few roads that have them.
take care!
whodaz - I hope you're enjoying Monroe! I have almost the opposite problem. My development in Monroe has almost too many lights! I can go out at 3:00 AM, retrieve my newspaper and read it on the front porch. I'm also into astronomy and so many lights are distracting! But the good news for you is, that you can have a light put in by the city, if you're willing to foot the tab for the electric bill. It's funny, the entrance to my development has no light at road leading into it, but in the distance, you can see it looks as brightly lit as midtown Manhattan at 7:00 PM. Wish I could send you some spare "lumens"! Call the city and see if they can do something for you. I'd try the Public Works department.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:28 PM

125 posts, read 469,327 times
Get a flashlight or stay inside, there is too much manmade light now. You can't hardly see the stars anymore.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
We put our own light in when we moved here. It lights up the back yard and patio. I think the cost is about $7.00 per month. I know Monroe's electric is different, but you may want to get in touch with your electric company. You may also want to check into solar lights. That would be a better choice.

I don't think looking to the government to satisfy your needs is a good idea. When we all take care of ourselves the taxes stay lower. If the government paid for our lighting, it would probably cost much more. It would also be in front of the house instead of behind the house where it is needed.

I know people who have motion lights on their homes. These come on when someone comes around. Unfortunately dogs and animals can set them off too.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:02 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodaz View Post
i was wondering..
take care!
We live on a dark country road too but I looooove seeing the stars out here. It's so incredibly peaceful. It's different from anything I've ever experienced. I'm willing to bet that serentiy won't last much longer with all of the encroaching development.

Have you considered lights along your driveway? The path into your house? Perhaps motion lights?

Sara

Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Low voltage lights can help a lot w/ lighting various paths around your property. Also, I like "uplighting" - putting low voltage lighting around trees on my property - wh/ gives a very soft illumination but makes it easy for me to take Miss Scarlett out for walkies after sundown.

Consider putting uplighting around your yard/property and lighting your drive and walkway - you will be surprised how reasonable the cost is and how much difference this makes w/ your feeling more comfortable w/ your surroundings at nite.

If you can't string low voltage wiring to all areas, consider solar lighting.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:29 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,492,615 times
Good morning everyone! I believe that whodaz was referencing street lighting as opposed to lighting up small areas around his property. A lot of people who come from more urban areas are used to having street lights every few hundred feet. They tend to get nervous in really dark areas. I believe there was a study done a few years back that emphasized that "well-lit" streets tended to have lower crime rates. Unfortunately, it can be overdone. My old street in NJ had a street light at each end of the block when I was a kid and by the time I moved, there were street lights every 200 feet apart. They even installed one on the telephone pole in front of my house which was 100 feet from the end of the street where there was another one! This made my telescope time even more frustrating! I was sorely tempted to lasso the thing and pull it off the telephone pole. But that's me.

I can understand whodaz's concern though! The first time I visited friends in the Northwest part of NJ, which is very rural, I realized just what dark really was. It was so dark you could barely see your hand in front of your face. While you could end up breaking your neck getting to your car from the house, the upside was, you could see the Milky Way plain as day. This was something that I had never seen from my house 17 miles away from Manhattan because of the severe "light pollution". Most of the country folk both in NJ and NC prefer not having lights every few feet and I can well empathize with them. I'd like to remove every other streetlight from my own development as well. But having said that, I've come across more than a few areas by me that would benefit from better street lighting. Whodaz is probably in one of those areas. It seems in many locations, it's either feast or famine when it comes to street lights!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:54 AM

125 posts, read 469,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I believe there was a study done a few years back that emphasized that "well-lit" streets tended to have lower crime rates.

I really don't believe that light deters crime. Most of these punks a so brazen that if they thought there was something worth stealing on the 50 yard line of Panthers Stadium during a football game they'd run out there and try to steal it.
I saw a security camera video a while back that showed two homeboys walk up to a window and tell the lady working there to give them all the money, she was a little surprised by this since she didn't have any money, it seems that they had tried to rob the local POLICE STATION ! ! !
It was broad daylight and over the door they had come in through it had in big letters, POLICE STATION. Do you think having more lights on would have deterred this crime?

What we need to do is lock up all the criminals and throw away the key. How many times lately have we seen on the news where they arrest someone for some crime only to find out they're out on bail and have an arrest record a mile long. One recently had been arrested 20 times in the last year ! ! ! WTF ! ! !

Old 10-24-2008, 12:32 PM

23 posts, read 94,078 times
Thank you so much TheEmissary and everyone else that said helpful responses. I really appreciate it. I'm going to try and look for the contact information for the monroe "Public Works department" to see what I can find to get one up.
thanks again!

Old 10-24-2008, 12:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
I understand that you want street light, but also go to Lowes & get some solar lights for your property, in the mean time. I've used them for years & the batteries usually last 5 years & only cost about $6 to replace 5 batteries. The impact on your electric bill is $0. They give off enough light that you can see where you're going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte