U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 06:28 PM

9 posts, read 18,264 times

Advertisements

I am graduating from Arizona State University this semester and I am currently looking into moving into Charlotte NC, but I'm not too firmiliar with the area so I'm looking for any advice I can get.I will be trying to get a full time job in probably the HR/Administrative, I love football, I have a dog, I like to go out... Where might me a good area for someone like me to live? I'm guessing uptown area- but I'm trying to figure out specific areas within the city that are good places to look. Also how is the job market there? Bar scene? Best/worst thing about living in Charlotte? Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 07:04 PM

6,270 posts, read 9,992,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klbc73 View Post
I am graduating from Arizona State University this semester and I am currently looking into moving into Charlotte NC, but I'm not too firmiliar with the area so I'm looking for any advice I can get.I will be trying to get a full time job in probably the HR/Administrative, I love football, I have a dog, I like to go out... Where might me a good area for someone like me to live? I'm guessing uptown area- but I'm trying to figure out specific areas within the city that are good places to look. Also how is the job market there? Bar scene? Best/worst thing about living in Charlotte? Thanks for any help!
I will tell you that the job market anywhere in the US is not that great now. Charlotte's job market is doing better than most though. Being that you are fresh out of school, few jobs will start you out at top pay. Your college education is a BIG PLUS so don't be discouraged. You could expect as much as 45k per year to start depending on where you land. You could even get much more. It all depends on what type of HR job and with whom you are employed. As a football fan, you will be happy to know that the Carolina Panthers are having a great start this year. They play in uptown. The Charlotte Bobcats play in an arena uptown as well. If you do get a job paying less than top pay, don't worry. Charlotte is one of the most affordable mid sized cities in the nation. You can rent a nice one bedroom here for less than 800 per month. Think 1000 per month for a one bedroom in uptown. I would have to say that the best thing about living in Charlotte is that this is a city of newcomers. You will fit in very quickly because more than half of this city are just like yourself. I was born in NY BTW. The worst thing about living in Charlotte is the traffic and infrastructure. The freeway system in this town is a joke for a city of Charlotte's size. You can avoid this problem by simply living close to your job. By close I mean less than 15 miles away. Don't even think about doing the long commute thing like many others here are doing. As far as the social scene, here is a link to some videos I have taken of uptown on a typical Saturday night. There are also some videos of the more urban areas of town. Charlotte is a town that looks suburban to most people but the urban side is still growing. I hope this will help you a little in your decision!!! My videos can be found at "youtube.com/urbancharlotte". Remember to put the "www." at the front of the address. Sorry about the link not working.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 AM

Here is a link that works www.youtube.com/urbancharlotte

Old 10-22-2008, 11:18 PM

Thanks so much the videos were really helpful, gave me a better feel for what its like there. I think I found a place to live- room share- she said she is "located about 5 minutes from the lightrail, 5 minutes from the SouthPark mall, 15 minutes from downtown". Not knowing the area, is this really far from where I want to be? I'm assuming because I would be near the light rail I could easily get to downtown?How late does it run? Just trying to figure out if this something I could take when I go out or get to work...our town is just finishing building a light rail so this is all a new idea to me. P.s. forgive me for this, is there a difference between downtown and uptown? are the one in the same?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:54 AM

769 posts, read 1,980,157 times
The local public transportation is called Charlotte Area Transit System, or CATS. Here is a link to their site - C.A.T.S. (http://www.charmeck.org/Departments/CATS/Home.htm - broken link) And the light rail line is called Lynx.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much the videos were really helpful, gave me a better feel for what its like there. I think I found a place to live- room share- she said she is "located about 5 minutes from the lightrail, 5 minutes from the SouthPark mall, 15 minutes from downtown". Not knowing the area, is this really far from where I want to be? I'm assuming because I would be near the light rail I could easily get to downtown?How late does it run? Just trying to figure out if this something I could take when I go out or get to work...our town is just finishing building a light rail so this is all a new idea to me. P.s. forgive me for this, is there a difference between downtown and uptown? are the one in the same?
It sounds to me like you will be in the Tyvola Rd/Park Rd area of town by your description. I actually live in the same area. If I am correct, you will like this side of town. It is close to everything and Uptown is just a 15 minute light rail ride away. Uptown is Charlotte's downtown. They are the same. Many have asked the same question so don't feel bad for asking. The LYNX (light rail) runs from 5:30 am to 1:30 am M-F. Saturday and Sunday it generally runs from 6:30 am to 1:00 am. If you end up living in the area you described and get a job uptown or along the line, you should take advantage of riding the LYNX to work. There is also a fairly decent bus system in Charlotte as well. The buses can get you to anywhere in town. I would suggest taking your bicycle with you when you ride the train or the bus. My wife and I do this quite often and it makes the transit experience here much faster and more fun!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:59 PM

That clears up a lot for me! Thnx My only question is how do you get home from the bars? I'm assuming you just take Lynx to uptown to go out, but if it stops running at 1am, then do u just cab it home?.. I guess you can see where my priorities are

Old 10-24-2008, 05:09 AM

Quote:
That clears up a lot for me! Thnx My only question is how do you get home from the bars? I'm assuming you just take Lynx to uptown to go out, but if it stops running at 1am, then do u just cab it home?.. I guess you can see where my priorities are
Yeah, you'll have to cab it or you can just bum a ride with the "friend" you met that night!!! All jokes aside, a cab would be much safer. During special events like New Years, the trains do run later. Usually, until 2:30am.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:46 AM

327 posts, read 1,057,553 times
YOu should specifically ask what part of town the room for rent is located in. 5 minutes north of the light rail could put you in a less desirable neighborhood. 5 minutes south of the light rail is a nice area. It all depends. MAke sure you ask.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:04 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,103,299 times
Please read the other posts about having a job BEFORE you get here. The job market here is really bad, we have some of the highest unemployment ratios in the country. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte