U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:20 AM

509 posts, read 1,216,565 times
Default Who are you and why do you post?

I thought it would kind of fun to see where everyone's coming from on this forum, and might help those who are considering a move to Charlotte to see how many different perspectives we have.

I'll start... I'm a 30something lawyer who moved to Charlotte about a year and a half ago for my job. I am originally from the great white North (Vermont). I had previously lived in the Charlotte area from 1997-2000, with a stint in Statesville from 2000-2004 and Greensboro from 2004-2006.

If I was single or if we didn't have kids, I'd live in uptown in a heartbeat. If I could afford it we'd live in Myers Park or Dilworth.

Instead I live in the Huntersville 'burbs!

I post because this forum was very helpful when I was moving here, and I just kind of stuck around.

YOUR TURN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 11:36 AM

422 posts, read 829,385 times
Mid 30's.. from Boston. Im a New Home Sales Consultant for a new home builder.

I come on the forum because I get real bored at work sometimes ;-) Not only that, I really learn alot from this forum and love it!

Old 10-22-2008, 12:17 PM

172 posts, read 367,450 times
Retired. Came here form NY because my children and grandchildren are here. I fell in love with NC immediately and can't imagine living anywhere else. I don't post a lot - only when I feel strongly about something or think I might be able to help someone. I do read the board everyday and think it is a wonderful resource for newcomers and not so new comers alike.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:28 PM

769 posts, read 1,383,296 times
40 something business/technical analyst and project manager. Moved here from California about 2 years ago because I wanted to live somewhere different and had fallen in love with the Southeast - my daughter chose Charlotte.

I usually post on here irregularly, and like Snowflake when I feel strongly about something or feel like I can help someone, although I am starting to post more often for other things! I also visit the board often - usually several times a day - and have learned a lot. Wish I had found it before I moved to Charlotte, didn't know I was joining the herd!!

I live in the Mint Hill area because we could have a little bit of property and I'm still on a major bus line for my commute uptown. If I didn't have to commute I'd live up around Troutman on about 60 acres!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:45 PM

37 posts, read 84,755 times
Hello all - good thread

I posted a message similar to this yesterday on another thread...thought it a good place to post it here as well

My family and I - husband of 16 years and five children ages 13, 12, 11, 9, 7...and two cats - moved here a little over two weeks ago from Cincinnati, Ohio (both of us born and raised there) and we are settling in nicely here in Charlotte. I am a nurse by profession, but a full-time SAHM for now...possibly for good, God willing. We are also a homeschooling family as well. I must say I am really liking the vibe here MUCH more than Cincinnati which is starting to be referred to as the "old South"...very conservative and set in it's ways, if you know what I mean. We've also lived in the Maryland/DC area as well (1999-2004), so I know it's not all in my head. Anyway...I digress... not here to bash Cincinnati... We moved to Charlotte due to my husband accepting a wonderful job offer from an engineering firm Uptown and they also included a very nice sized relocation bonus. Just one of those things that are too good to pass up, especially in this economy! When we sat down and "dotted every i" and "crossed every t" we just couldn't think of a good enough reason to not relocate. He definetly wasn't making the income he knows he's worth in Cincinnati, so the offer from the Charlotte firm was a true blessing and breath of fresh air indeed. There is only a 2-3% difference in the cost of living between Cincinnati and Charlotte...the increase is in healthcare costs. The firm is ranked somewhere in the top 10 in the nation, so needless to say my husband couldn't get here fast enough We found an excellent realtor here in Charlotte from Cincinnati and things were pretty much smooth sailing from there. God definetly had/has a plan for us

Actually, I started coming to this website/forum about a year ago to research various areas around Ohio, so once the opportunity to relocate to Charlotte was presented to us, we definetly used this forum as a resource...and it's a GREAT resource. Thanks to all who contribute, it's very very helpful

~Cincynurse
(and I'm probably going to need to change that username huh? )

Old 10-22-2008, 01:52 PM

37 posts, read 84,755 times
I forgot to mention...we live in the University City area around the "Arbors" area (think Trader Joes

~Cincynurse

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,238,778 times
Well the reason I first started posting was due to my profession. You guys kinda grew on me so I decided to stick around. I have lived in the Huntersville Area for 20 years now. I grew up here and have seen everything change but the roads. Still the same. I know this area like the back off my hand but it is getting harder to keep up with all the neighborhoods but it has slowed some so I should be able to catch up....

Old 10-22-2008, 03:11 PM

124 posts, read 294,307 times
34 yo SAHM to 2.5 children living in South Charlotte. We moved here about 2 weeks ago from the Dallas area of Texas. I'm a bit of newbie to Charlotte life; still more of a learner than a sharer if you know what I mean.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:20 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,396,951 times
Moved from Miami about 3 yrs ago for many reasons, but in the end it was my wife's idea.

I usually participate in the Mortgage Forum to help everyone with their mortgage needs, and I try to help out here.
I'm a mortgage broker.

We live in the University Area...by Bloom if anyone wants to visit.

I love this forum as it's very helpful with a lot of issues going on ...

I loved the gas thread that was started a couple of weeks ago.
Someone spotted gas in my area, and I had an empty tank.
I immediately got up, and filled up my tank!

I have found about hunting, fishing, rifles, why people vote for Obama , and more!

Old 10-22-2008, 03:22 PM

533 posts, read 1,039,558 times
i'm a 24 year old married grad student (graduating this december, woot!). i moved to south charlotte from long island with my husband in july 2006 for my MA in school counseling because the job market for that here in NC is better than LI (ok, anywhere is better than LI for school counseling). speaking of school counseling job markets, if anyone knows of any openings for january let me know! i found these boards while searching for apartments and such before the big move. i know that if i have any q's about what to do and where to go for something in charlotte that i can come here for some quick answers. i like to help out when i can, but i don't have a ton of charlotte info to offer because i am still learning myself. i check this site daily along with a short list of other sites i am compulsive about checking lol and that's that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte