U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:45 PM

21 posts, read 262,212 times

Advertisements

Barndog, glad (but not glad) I could help by sharing that I have a close, but not as bad experience as yours. You are not alone. You never were, even on those terrible sounding nights with the flashlights or all the time you spent alone with your anxiety about what would happen next. The worrying, the scary images in your head, ugh! I bet some jerk will post an image on this thread... it is in people's nature especially when they feel powerless and can hide behind anonymity of the web.

Spideycar, you know just reading your last post was hard for me...the descriptions of the webbing and the spider...I had to look away from my laptop and take breaks. Sorry it turned out to be yellow sac. I hope the SpiderAway works. I sprayed more this afternoon and went out and re-sprayed the same areas at dusk. I outlined all the doors and window frames, and inside the edges of the headliner. Now the car stinks! If there is peppermint oil in that stuff, I don't smell it. It is potent stuff and I had to wash my hands for a while to get the odor out.

Oh, here is something else that happened. Barndog you should take some slow deep breaths before reading this. On my way back from the supermarket today, going about 25mph, I'm on the phone with my brother in TN (using my headset of course) telling him about this crazy spider issue and the car and he's telling me to get over my fear and crap like that, and I see a f ---n small, brown spider crawling up his web from my door lock button to the vizor over my head!! I could not believe it! I screamed in anger and just grabbed the thing with my hand and made as tight a fist I could! I know I killed it! My brother freaked out on the phone and asked what happened. I quickly, repeatedly wiped my hand on the side of the driver's seat with out looking at it. My adrenaline was rushing...and so was the car.
I pulled over to the side of the road and told my brother what just happened.

He stopped giving me the calming pep-talk about overcoming my fear. Changed his tune quickly to, "you gotta get them out of there man!" Now he gets it!

This is like you and your friend who saw the spiders and took your story more serious right?

Okay, bad story over... breathe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 11:07 PM

Hey, I found this link to a blog about bugs and the guys from CarTalk on NPR radio. They talked about pests in cars (not just spiders) but to avoid using insecticides and foggers in a car (too late for us). They suggest the use of extreme heat (over 140 degree) or carbon dioxide from Dry Ice. Here is the link (if posting a link is okay on this forum). 'Bugs News: Bug infested cars and Car Talk (tm)

Old 05-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Update...No new spider webs this morning - inside or outside the car. I'm most concerned with inside and nothing from overnight or through out the day as I ran errands. What does this mean??

Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 PM

873 posts, read 1,539,508 times
In the 27 years that I've been doing Pest Control, I've been hired by rental car companies as well as trucking companies in the past to control everything from spiders to roaches to ants to bed bugs to snakes in vehicles...so yeah, it really happens!

As for respiratory problems, that's simple....don't stay in the car while you're treating it!!!!!!!!!!! And if for some reason you do, use what professionals use - a RESPIRATOR! (At some point, it sometimes makes sense to use a professional, no matter whether it's a pest problem or an electrical problem or a plumbing problem or a medical problem!! You have to decide when and if to do that!!!)

I'm not familiar with the products at Home Depot or Lowes's etc. If you could provide me with active ingredients and the type of formulation, I'd be happy to give you my opinion.

Are you located in the Charlotte area? I'd think yes, but would like to know.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekGuy View Post
I was wondering if exterminators are hired to do a customer's car - does that really happy? Maybe I could contact a local one? But I like the idea of knowing exactly what is going into the vehicle since my partner has a respiratory condition and I can't take risks.

Re: aerosol products - are these bug bombs? I looked at a local hardware store and Home Depot and did not see what you are describing. Can you elaborate?

Can you give me a source to get a product as a retail customer and not a professional?

GG

Old 05-19-2010, 05:53 AM

Thank you bugguy. It makes sense that rental companies and such would hire your services. I just got a recommendation about a professional who's treated some people's cars. He is a couple towns over from me here is Boston, MA. I'm not from NC but joined the discussion because of the subject matter, not the location. I agree about hiring a professional and investing in their expertise. Thanks.

It's my fiance's respiratory medical condition I'm concerned about and she would not be around the car for at least a few days after airing it out after a treatment- and I will def. use a mask if I work on the car some more. I think the SpiderAway product is having a good, but temporary affect. The weather up here just changed to cold/rainy, but this weekend it will be sunny and warm so the spiders will probably be back (and the residue from the product I used might get cleaned off when I get the car detailed again). I did apply a lot of the product (saturated) in hidden crevices.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:44 AM

795 posts, read 3,912,325 times
geekguy -- hey, i've heard that car talk episode (LOVE car talk!)... the only thing i couldn't figure out was how/where you would be able to apply heat like that to the whole car.

also -- no webs yesterday, any today?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 AM

Nope! No new webs as of last night. although the car smells like vinegar and peppermint inside...not pleasant.

thanks for checking in

Old 05-20-2010, 11:34 AM

7 posts, read 26,217 times
Hi All,
Appreciate reading your postings. Barndog - your story of the garage incident made me smile as that absolutely is something that would happen to me/that i would do. And I too, look at convertibles and cars with windows down etc and think a) Gosh i wish i could do that and then b) wonder if they know about spider infestations in cars.

Geek Guy- sounds as if you are having success. glad to hear. I just went outside with friend to car to go on a "hunt". Cleaned the webs. Found a few "sleeping" areas. We got 6 big ones so far. I sprayed the heck out of car again (spiderAway). And yes the smell gets to you after a bit. Question for you - when you spray it are you also doing any exterior portions? or all interior? Are you using just the SpiderAway product? I just sprayed the entire roof rack..they like that area apparently because of the crevices.

We are going to check back in a couple hours for new webs etc!! new hunt.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 PM

Spideycar,
Sounds like your hunt was a success. Good.
Today was humid and in the 80's, and I expected new webs but none! Can't believe it. After a rainy sticky night I was sure they would be back. I went out tonight with my LED flashlight (it reveals the webs and spiders better than an incandescent bulb flashlight), and I only say some tiny, greenish colored baby spiders sleeping on the hood. Got rid of about 3.

Your question about where I sprayed....
I used it mostly inside but also along the door jams and the entire perimeter of the windshield and back window. Just sprayed it half on the rubber seal/half on the glass. I know it doesn't look pretty but it leaves stuff on the glass that I think the spiders hate. I also cleaned out any gunk from the vents where the front hood meets the windshield, then sprayed it in there. I also opened the hood and sprayed it along the surface area near that vent.

Tomorrow I will get the car detailed inside (shampooed, dash and vents cleaned out well) which will remove much of the SpiderAway, but I have to do it. My fiance and friends are taking the car (Mazda Tribute, SUV) on a road trip this weekend and I want to get rid of the vinegar/peppermint smell and any crumbs/dirt in the car I'm not aware off. This guys does a real good cleaning for under $50 bucks.

I hope you do not find more on your next Hunt, but if you do, kill em all!!

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 PM

I ALSO used something I got at ACE Hardware called Terro Spider Spray. It has: Active ingredient: Pyrethrins .1%, Permethrin .2%, Piperonyl Butoxide .5%, Petrolewn Distilute 75.0%.
You can see it here....Terro® Spider Spray (2300) - 12 Pack - Ready To Use Products - Ace Hardware
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte