U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 05:21 PM

795 posts, read 3,902,195 times

Advertisements

awww, velvetcats, i'm sorry this has happened to you! it sucks! but it did remind me of something that happened about nine years ago before i had the car that go infested. it was another covertible, a vw cabrio, if you remember those.

i went to a cookout with a guy i was dating, parked under some trees, and left the top down, thinking nothing of it. later, we got back in to drive back to his house, still leaving the top down... and this was on a stretch of ballantyne commons in charlotte (which was two lane then and i think is still two lane). we drove for several miles when i noticed these dark shapes crawling on my windshield.

when i realized what they were, i pulled over into a turn lane and leapt out of the car. i mean, left it running and just got out. he was yelling after me: *********, what's wrong, what's wrong?!

i couldn't even speak.

when i could speak again, i just said: you take the car. i'm not getting back in. i'll walk the rest of the way home.

which obviously, he didn't agree to. he wouldn't just leave me on the side the road. but it took a long, long time before i got back in even knowing that we only had a couple of miles to go, and then i had the creepy crawlies the whole way.

if i had known then what i know now about what could happen to a car, i probably never would have gotten in again.

but the cabrio was ok. my bf went out the next day before i drove home and checked everything over for me, and it was fine.

but i will tell you this, i am DONE with convertibles. if someone bought me a brand spanking new mercedes convertible and parked it in my driveway, i would tell them they had just made an unfortunate purchase and ask them to return to sender.

so, anyway, i know what you mean about feeling like a magnet for them... i feel for you! it took me a long time to be comfortable in a car again, and i'm still working on getting comfortable after dark, so i know it can be done but it does take concerted effort.

hang in there!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 06:12 PM

299 posts, read 508,846 times
Wow. This thread has made me so thankful I park in a garage. I don't know how any of you dealt with this. Ugh! I try not to kill spiders, but damn those little suckers are creepy. I can't imagine DRIVING with them crawling...blech.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,932 times
lilyonthelake, I really hate to say this, but you can still get a spider in your car even if you keep the car in a garage. Spiders take up in garages, too. I always keep my windows up, though. I see that many people keep their windows open a crack or half-way down when parked outside, which offers another point of entry for a spider. But at least keeping your car in a garage helps reduce the amount of spiders that could get into your car.

barndog, Thanks for your reply. I read this whole thread yesterday, and after what you've been through with your convertible, I probably would never want to buy a convertible or a car with a sunroof.

After what you found on your windshield after the cookout, I would have a hard time getting back into that car, too! I see that some people leave their convertible tops down when the car is parked, and I wonder why they don't realize that bugs and stuff can get into their cars. Maybe they've been lucky not to experience having spiders inside their cars yet. I don't blame you for not wanting another convertible. By the way, do you still have the convertible that was infested?

I was feeling completely fine about driving at night, having gotten over the previous incident, but then it happened again last Sunday. So I'm back to square one with being nervous about riding in a car after dark. It's just happened one too many times for me in my life. With my last car, I kept it squeaky clean, but I still had a few incidents of spiders inside my car with me. Thankfully, each time it happened, I was driving on a street with no traffic, so I could quickly pull over and get out of the car.

From now on, I'm going to keep a paper towel or tissue by my side so that if ever another spider is inside the car with me, I can try to grab it without using my bare hands (I want to avoid touching a spider with bare hands like the plague). I think this is a good idea for us to keep tissues within reach just in case. One thing is, I would never want to get into a car accident over a spider, and I was reading that some people have gotten into accidents because of freaking out over a spider.

I looked up the spider that infested your car, and I was surprised to find out that this spider lives in all States...I was hoping that it only lived in certain States like the Brown Recluse. I almost feel like moving to where spiders are rarely found...I've read that spiders don't live at the north or south poles!

BTW, barndog, you were smart to ask people to have respect and not post pictures of spiders here. I just went to another thread about spiders and, wouldn't you know it, some people posted gross photos.

Last edited by velvetcats; 09-28-2010 at 10:41 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetcats View Post
lilyonthelake, I really hate to say this, but you can still get a spider in your car even if you keep the car in a garage. Spiders take up in garages, too. I always keep my windows up, though. I see that many people keep their windows open a crack or half-way down when parked outside, which offers another point of entry for a spider. But at least keeping your car in a garage helps reduce the amount of spiders that could get into your car.

-->{ (~) (~) }<--

(that's me sticking my fingers in my ears....I'm also singing LA-LA-LA really loudly *shudder*)

Old 09-30-2010, 03:22 AM

1,494 posts, read 2,859,167 times
It could always be worse. I had a passenger in my car whose domicile was infested with roaches. It got to the point I couldn't even take a covered food item with me. Luckily , winter was on approach , in concert with several bombs after removing the dash , carpet , seats , and instrument panel. I'll self destruct if I see anymore of them. I don't hate them , but I was a tad livid at the passenger. Now , they recieve no additional transport from me without decontamination.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etacarinae View Post
It could always be worse. I had a passenger in my car whose domicile was infested with roaches. It got to the point I couldn't even take a covered food item with me. Luckily , winter was on approach , in concert with several bombs after removing the dash , carpet , seats , and instrument panel. I'll self destruct if I see anymore of them. I don't hate them , but I was a tad livid at the passenger. Now , they recieve no additional transport from me without decontamination.
Dare I ask how the roaches went from your passenger's domicile to you car?
Did this person just have roaches on his/her person?

I think I might be sick now.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 PM

795 posts, read 3,902,195 times
etacarinae -- haha! i'm not exactly sure how roaches, which are not poisonous, are worse than spiders, which are... but i guess it all boils down to which you are more afraid of. either one is pretty darn bad to have in your car with you when you're traveling at high rates of speed.

velvetcats -- to answer two points:

1. i took the car to a bodyshop and had the bodyshop take the car apart -- took the door panels off, quarter panels off, trunk lining out, seats out, etc -- and kill the spiders and remove their nests, then i drove the car for five more months to make sure it was safe, and then it went to someone who was not afraid of spiders...

and 2. yes, i have asked repeatedly on the thread that no one post any pictures so that all of us who'd prefer not to see them can come back and help each other.

also, great idea to keep paper towels in your car. for a long time, i also kept a can of raid in my driver side door pocket.

best of luck to you! many of us are out here empathizing with you!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:41 PM

1,494 posts, read 2,859,167 times
The babies were in his clothing.
I'm not afraid of either , but I can't stand roaches. A stint in a heavily infested apartment , complete with several who would wait until I started dinner , then come out waving their antennae smelling my food pissed me off. Even bombs didn't work!! Those lazy a$$ maintenance men , when informed of the problem , simply stated 'Everywhere has roaches'. Luckily the apartments were razed. I bet those bastards are waiting in the park until the new development is complete. Hell , you can't even use them to catch fish!! They leave them alone!!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 PM

716 posts, read 1,902,607 times
BARNDOG!

Have you seen the story about the Mazda6 being recalled because of the yellow sac spider infestation problem?! As soon as I read it, I thought of you!

(I copied and pasted this from CNN.com out of courtesy because there was a yucky picture of a spider at the top of the page...)

<<<NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- Mazda is recalling about 52,000 Mazda6 sedans in the U.S., because yellow sac spiders like to build their nests in part of the fuel system.

"A certain type of spider may weave a web in the evaporative canister vent line and this may cause a restriction of the line," Mazda said in a letter to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The evaporative canister vent line runs from a charcoal-filled canister that cleans air coming out of the gas tank. Blockage of the line can prevent air from getting into the gas tank as the gasoline is used, resulting in negative air pressure inside the tank. That can lead to a crack in the gas tank and the possibility of a fire.

There have been 20 reported cases of spider infestation in the Mazda6 -- all have been in cars with 4-cylinder engines, none with V6's. No actual fires are known to have been caused by the spiders, according to Mazda's letter.

Dealers will inspect and, if necessary, repair the fuel system in the cars. A spring will also be installed to prevent spider intrusion, according to the letter.

Letters will be mailed to owners of affected vehicles beginning at the end of this month.

It's unclear why this particular spider -- the yellow sac spider -- seems to prefer the model year 2009 and 2010 Mazda6, company spokesman Jeremy Barnes said. All modern cars have the same type of equipment.

"Maybe they just like cars that go 'Zoom-Zoom'," he said. "We honestly don't know.">>>

Old 03-04-2011, 04:30 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,638,061 times
^^ I saw the story and immediately thought of barndog, too! (and wondered if her car was a Mazda)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte