U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2008, 08:35 PM

795 posts, read 3,902,195 times

Advertisements

after research that i didn't want to do, 99 percent sure that it is a yellow sac spider. and i sort of have a plan of attack now for monday.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 08:37 PM

and as for the coward who left "not funny (ha ha)" in my rep points with no name attached, i hope it happens to you tomorrow.

no, no, sorry, tonight!

Old 10-26-2008, 07:27 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,441,412 times
Just checked thread and was hoping you would tell us they're all gone!!! I'm SOOOOOO sorry this is still going on and that they are harmful. What are you going to do??

Old 10-26-2008, 10:46 AM

19,802 posts, read 55,621,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
This is just so weird - you should have gotten rid of them by now. Is it possible there's something stuck in/under the car that's attracting them? Maybe call the university's bug department to get ideas?
Entomologist is the word I was looking for but didn't find. Surely the colleges/universities in the area have them?

Old 10-26-2008, 11:10 AM

well, doorway, here's my plan, and it incorporates part of what southernbelle just suggested.

one of our exterminators has an entomologist on staff. coincidentally, a friend of my family's works at the same exterminator, and my parents spoke with him today. so tomorrow this friend is scheduled to speak with his boss and give us a call with some ideas. also, i'll be calling both that entomologist and also our local university to speak with the department head of entomology to try to find out the solution.

the problem is with this particular kind of spider, there is a good chance they might be nested in my convertible roof AND in shrubbery in the yard. so, i need to make sure i eliminate both problems at the same time without sending these things into the house.

a second problem is you have to be really careful with convertible tops b/c you can easily ruin them. in fact, i noticed yesterday that a little bit of a ripple already developed just from wednesday's interior bomb.

that complicates things because obviously i don't want to ruin this top b/c they're so expensive...and if i DO ruin this top fixing the problem and have to buy a new one, i don't want to then go back out and find the car re-infested b/c of the yard.

this is SO frustrating i really cannot put it into words. seriously, yesterday when i left those posts i was so grossed out and horrified i really did feel like crying.

so thank you everyone so much for your kind words!

Old 10-26-2008, 11:49 AM

533 posts, read 1,635,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
well, doorway, here's my plan, and it incorporates part of what southernbelle just suggested.

one of our exterminators has an entomologist on staff. coincidentally, a friend of my family's works at the same exterminator, and my parents spoke with him today. so tomorrow this friend is scheduled to speak with his boss and give us a call with some ideas. also, i'll be calling both that entomologist and also our local university to speak with the department head of entomology to try to find out the solution.

the problem is with this particular kind of spider, there is a good chance they might be nested in my convertible roof AND in shrubbery in the yard. so, i need to make sure i eliminate both problems at the same time without sending these things into the house.

a second problem is you have to be really careful with convertible tops b/c you can easily ruin them. in fact, i noticed yesterday that a little bit of a ripple already developed just from wednesday's interior bomb.

that complicates things because obviously i don't want to ruin this top b/c they're so expensive...and if i DO ruin this top fixing the problem and have to buy a new one, i don't want to then go back out and find the car re-infested b/c of the yard.

this is SO frustrating i really cannot put it into words. seriously, yesterday when i left those posts i was so grossed out and horrified i really did feel like crying.

so thank you everyone so much for your kind words!
wow is all i can say! that is crazy. i am so sorry you have to deal with this. good luck to you in solving this nasty problem for good!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 AM

329 posts, read 1,122,898 times
Oh my! I was hoping to read your thread and hear they were all gone. I don't know what to say

I would completely freak out if I had all those spiders on the car - killing 20 in one night is a lot. I seriously don't think I could drive that car until I knew they were gone.

I hope you resolve this spider issue soon!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:35 AM

1,907 posts, read 4,441,412 times
Can you leave the windows down with the keys in the ignition (overnight, of course). Just kidding Barndog, this will end soon.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:53 AM

329 posts, read 1,122,898 times
Any luck getting rid of you infestation?

Old 10-30-2008, 10:54 AM

i don't know. i'm so frustrated. i drove it tuesday at 70 mph both ways to flush out the spiders. halfway through the drive, i stopped and killed three spiders. when i got home, i thorougly checked the car and didn't find any. BUT...there were webs INSIDE the car, which hasn't happened in the past.

i didn't drive it yesterday. and i'm planning to do the same thing tonight...drive it really fast and see what happens.

and to make me more frustrated, the entomologist has not gotten back into contact with me, and the exterminator wants me to take one to him IN A BAG. like i want to try to catch one of these things!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte