U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 11:00 AM

330 posts, read 705,457 times
I don't know how you get in your car and drive knowing those critters are in there and could come out - especially if they are the yellow sac spiders like you think and are poisonous - you are a brave women!

Can you take the exterminator a dead one. Maybe you can try to contact another etomologist??

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Maybe you can try this stuff Demon WP .com - The Direct Source for Demon WP Cypermethrin pesticide.

I did a few searches for spider infestations and several recommended this product - but now I have the creepy crawlies!!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:27 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,844 times
that's funny, kansas chick, i saw that product "demon," too and meant to look it up and then got so grossed out at the last google search i didn't want to do that i never went back and looked it up. so i need to do that next.

second, in the last couple of years, i've had to do a lot of things i've been really scared of. so this just seems like the latest in that cycle. but i can tell you this, my heart is POUNDING the whole time i'm in that car. and when i get out i sort of feel like i'm going to throw up.

third, i just contacted ncsu again, and this time asked for a different entomologist since the first one hasn't returned my email. turns out the person i really need to talk to there is out of the country until november 10th (figures!). but the admin did refer me to our local extension office who has an entomologist on staff, and i just left a voicemail for that person. so...i really hope that person calls me back soon.

it is kind of hard to believe this has been going on for two weeks now.

thanks for continuing to think of me and send me good wishes, though!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:32 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,070,035 times
I applaud you for "facing" this fear and any other ones you have faced in the last couple of years

Old 10-31-2008, 11:10 AM

oh thanks, doorway. i've sort of had a round of crazy bad luck in the last couple of years. BUT. i remain confident that this will be the last of the odd things that will happen.

with that in mind, i drove the car last night and didn't see any spiders. although i did kill two when i went outside later in the dark and ran the flashlight over the exterior. they were moving awfully slowly, so i hope the cold was killing them.

and i drove the car today and killed one when i got home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so, for all of you who have been curious, this is what the entomologist had to say yesterday...

1. was i parking near a light? (answer: yes) because lights attract insects, and insects attract spiders on the hunt.
so, light must go, or else i must park in a different spot.

2. she strongly suggested i have the car detailed and every surface wiped down to get rid of the "sacs" the spiders leave behind (sacs are the white, cotton-like, cocoon-like substances).

3. she said spiders either go dormant or are killed by cold temperatures (i would have liked to know which one, but she didn't really answer this). she thought they were taking refuge in my car b/c the car is warmer than the outside environment.

4. she said that i should only have a problem with this one round of spiders. they should have hatched and then set out to hunt. the babies i am seeing should not be an indication of a new batch. (crossing fingers that she is correct!)

5. she did quickly look on her computer (where? the internet? some supersecret entomology source? i don't know), and say that others have had success with driving fast to get rid of them.

6. she also said spraying the ground and shrubs where they seem to be coming from may or may not help, but it won't hurt.

7. her repeated phrase was "extinction, extinction, extinction." meaning kill 'em when you see 'em, kill 'em when you see 'em, kill 'em when you see 'em. which i have been.

so that's that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

in other news...home remedies that i intend to spray in/on the car include these:

1. a mixture of vinegar to coconut oil

2. lemon lysol or lemon pledge

3. 1 cup vegetable oil to 1/4 cup dawn dish washing liquid to 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Old 10-31-2008, 11:13 AM

Yeah! Sounds like you are getting closer to exterminating those suckers!

I have heard mint also keeps spiders away - although I don't know if it's true

Old 11-02-2008, 04:31 PM

and the saga continues...

tonight i almost wrecked my car thanks to the bast**d spider that almost fell in my lap when i was driving down a busy hwy. it's a miracle that i didn't end up in the ditch, sideswiping another car, or rearended or hit head on by a car when i stopped in the middle of the road and GOT OUT.

my mother, bless her soul, stood in the middle of this busy hwy with me and killed the spider.

(this was after i killed 13 of those bast**ds yesterday.)

i almost couldn't get back in the car...it was only the realization that i was putting everybody else in danger by standing in the middle of the hwy that forced me to get back in, and then my heart rate was somewhere near 200.

nightmarish doesn't begin to describe it.

so, i've now tried almost everything...exterminator, detailing, lemon home remedy, spraying the yard around the car, removing the light source in the yard, and circling the car at night killing the ones that come out...

and still...here i am, two and a half weeks later...and they're winning the war.

i have always loved this car, i special-ordered it before i even saw the new ones come out back in 2004, and now i would be happy if i never saw it again...

if anyone else has any ideas, PLEASE let me know!

Old 11-02-2008, 07:18 PM

10,153 posts, read 10,343,194 times
Barn how big are these spiders exactly??

Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 PM

412 posts, read 522,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
and the saga continues...

tonight i almost wrecked my car thanks to the bast**d spider that almost fell in my lap when i was driving down a busy hwy. it's a miracle that i didn't end up in the ditch, sideswiping another car, or rearended or hit head on by a car when i stopped in the middle of the road and GOT OUT.

my mother, bless her soul, stood in the middle of this busy hwy with me and killed the spider.

(this was after i killed 13 of those bast**ds yesterday.)

i almost couldn't get back in the car...it was only the realization that i was putting everybody else in danger by standing in the middle of the hwy that forced me to get back in, and then my heart rate was somewhere near 200.

nightmarish doesn't begin to describe it.

so, i've now tried almost everything...exterminator, detailing, lemon home remedy, spraying the yard around the car, removing the light source in the yard, and circling the car at night killing the ones that come out...

and still...here i am, two and a half weeks later...and they're winning the war.

i have always loved this car, i special-ordered it before i even saw the new ones come out back in 2004, and now i would be happy if i never saw it again...

if anyone else has any ideas, PLEASE let me know!

I think you car needs to see a Exorcist

Old 11-02-2008, 10:42 PM

3 posts, read 4,933 times
Awww, comon- spiders eat bugs! Most spiders, albeit are creepy, can't puncture human skin. The most they can do is cause an irritation or a tiny mark that lasts a few days. And as a rule of thumb, are nocturnal.

I really enjoy watching a spider build a web. I'll pull up a chair with my favorite beverage and watch for an hour. Then, toss in a moth or whatnot to reward it for its entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte