U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:36 AM

1,893 posts, read 3,070,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTEXX View Post
Awww, comon- spiders eat bugs! Most spiders, albeit are creepy, can't puncture human skin. The most they can do is cause an irritation or a tiny mark that lasts a few days. And as a rule of thumb, are nocturnal.

I really enjoy watching a spider build a web. I'll pull up a chair with my favorite beverage and watch for an hour. Then, toss in a moth or whatnot to reward it for its entertainment.

You wanna buy a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 08:29 AM

5,972 posts, read 11,626,288 times
Barndog - I am really concerned that you will get into an accident. I searched other forums for you. See if what is here below might help:

Quote:
A Natural Spider Spray Formula for inside the house:
To get Immediate Relief from spiders inside the house buy 8 oz bottle of Dr Bronners Peppermint or Lavender [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Soap[/color][/color], or any other natural soap. Go to your local drug store and buy 1 oz of Citronella oil, Pennyroyal oil, Cinnamon oil or any other type of Essential oil like rose oil or tea tree oil.

You can also add 1 drop of any of the following (depending on preference to you) to 1 quart of water:
Citronella Oil
Lavender Oil
Cinnamon Oil
Peppermint Oil
Citrus Oil
Tea Tree Oil
any of the above oils will kill spiders and other insects on contact! Test for strength.

Add 5 tablespoons of the soap per quart water. Add 5 tablespoons of any natural citrus oil to the quart water which you added the soap and label it spider control spray. Add to sprayer and spray inside house where spiders are seen. Should be done as often as needed. This is not a long term solution but will provide you immediate help.

Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 AM

330 posts, read 705,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
and the saga continues...

tonight i almost wrecked my car thanks to the bast**d spider that almost fell in my lap when i was driving down a busy hwy. it's a miracle that i didn't end up in the ditch, sideswiping another car, or rearended or hit head on by a car when i stopped in the middle of the road and GOT OUT.

my mother, bless her soul, stood in the middle of this busy hwy with me and killed the spider.

(this was after i killed 13 of those bast**ds yesterday.)

i almost couldn't get back in the car...it was only the realization that i was putting everybody else in danger by standing in the middle of the hwy that forced me to get back in, and then my heart rate was somewhere near 200.

nightmarish doesn't begin to describe it.

so, i've now tried almost everything...exterminator, detailing, lemon home remedy, spraying the yard around the car, removing the light source in the yard, and circling the car at night killing the ones that come out...

and still...here i am, two and a half weeks later...and they're winning the war.

i have always loved this car, i special-ordered it before i even saw the new ones come out back in 2004, and now i would be happy if i never saw it again...

if anyone else has any ideas, PLEASE let me know!
Dang - wish I knew what to tell. That just sucks! I can't believe you are still dealing with those darn spiders! Hang in there - don't let those little bast*rds defeat you!

Old 11-03-2008, 11:36 AM

746 posts, read 2,247,844 times
bibit -- thank you so much for that info...i will definitely try it!

the main problem with this particular car and using sprays inside/outside is the convertible top...they discolor and shrink very easily. otherwise, i would already have sprayed this car from top to bottom with the spray the exterminator left. (unfortunately, the convertible top is already rippling on the inside from all the spraying i did last week, and i think i've messed up my side-view mirrors and the weather stripping on my driver's side thanks to this fiasco.)

unbelievable.

Last edited by barndog; 11-03-2008 at 11:55 AM..

Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM

mtexx -- i almost don't even know what to say to you.

but i'm sure i'll think of something...yep, here it is.

one. these are poisonous spiders whose bites mimic those of the brown recluse.

two. i've killed almost ninety ON AND INSIDE MY CAR in the last THREE WEEKS. making it undriveable. therefore costing me quite a bit of money. for a resource i can't use.

so, yes, i think your answer is probably the most helpful i've had. i'll just pull up a chair and WATCH my car. for fun. at night.

(while doorway and kansas chick and bibit and i are burning it in a bonfire.)

Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM

himain -- they range in size from babies to (and this is with legs included) maybe nickel-sized, slightly smaller than a quarter.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:47 PM

10,142 posts, read 10,343,194 times
OMG-Barn I really really feel for you. I hope this works out for you and real soon. Please keep us posted

Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM

5,972 posts, read 11,626,288 times
Quote:
bibit -- thank you so much for that info...i will definitely try it!

the main problem with this particular car and using sprays inside/outside is the convertible top...they discolor and shrink very easily. otherwise, i would already have sprayed this car from top to bottom with the spray the exterminator left. (unfortunately, the convertible top is already rippling on the inside from all the spraying i did last week, and i think i've messed up my side-view mirrors and the weather stripping on my driver's side thanks to this fiasco.)

unbelievable.
Barndog - only thing I could say is that these are at least organic and would probably present less of a risk on damaging the convertible top. Plus, I would imagine that lavender or lemon is better smelling than a bug spray. Lemme see if I can search out more organic stuff (like spices maybe). I'll get back to you on this. Meantime, if you have to drive the blasted car, PLEASE be careful. Could you rent a car in the meantime?

Edit: Things I found:
Spider Repellent [LEFT]Natural spider repellent can be done two ways of both if you prefer. The first is chestnuts, yes chestnuts spiders hate chestnuts and they won't even come near them. So if you place them around your house cottage or shed they will stay away.
The second way to repel spiders is to use Lemon Pledge. Its not a natural spider repellent but it works. Spiders hate lemons and their taste buds are on the tips of their legs. So by spraying your window and door frames inside and out will keep spiders away.

http://byfaithonly.com/Spiders.html - some already repeated in my prior post on oils;

The common theme I've been reading is that all spiders hate citrus. Maybe just keeping some fresh oranges or lemons in the car at all times might help. They also smell good. I would wipe or spray the upholstery with Orange Glo, or Lemon Pledge.

Please keep us posted on what works or doesn't. We'll keep trying...[/LEFT]

Last edited by bibit612; 11-03-2008 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 01:00 PM

330 posts, read 705,457 times
Quote:
(while doorway and kansas chick and bibit and i are burning it in a bonfire.)
I'll bring the hot dogs and marshmellows

Old 11-03-2008, 06:21 PM

bibit -- in answer to your edited post -- i have been over and over that car with a lemon spray, in the doorframes, in the seats, on the rubbers window seals, sprayed inside the car, in the trunk, on the windows, into the hood, under the rubber that covers the top when it's lowered...and i currently have a lemon oil air freshener clipped to the inside of my roof...

and...apparently the spiders never got the memo that they're not supposed to like lemon.

but...chestnuts? maybe i could just sort of, like, set them along my hood and roof? i will investigate this option further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte