U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM

737 posts, read 2,120,112 times
so, update on the situation: i've decided to park my car at another location on an alternating schedule for the next week. i can't figure out for sure whether the spiders are coming solely from my car or if they're coming from my yard as well, and the only way i know to test this is to move my car somewhere else and then drive over and check it out at night.

if the spiders are coming from my car, i believe it will be swarmed at night at the other place because the other place is extremely well-lighted, and they should be coming out to hunt. HOWEVER, if the spiders are originating from my yard, well then, we shouldn't see any spiders on the car when it's at the other location.

also, i talked to the entomologist again today, and this is what she said:

-- a conservative estimate is that i've killed 134 spiders on/in the car, mostly ON...she says i should be coming to the end of this round of spides soon
-- i've got to get the undercarriage cleaned...there may be new egg sacs under there
-- there could be as many as 10 new egg sacs in any dark, protected place on my car...i have to figure out a way to get to these places
-- there could be egg sacs in the grass where i park
-- we have logs in our yard that border our driveway...and these could be harboring spiders and egg sacs as well

she had two thoughts about me parking somewhere else...one, that it's true it might highlight where the problem is coming from, but also that it might exacerbate my current problem b/c the lights at the alternate location may attract more insects, thereby giving the spiders more food.

also, she had the suggestion that i park another car in my yard and see if spiders appear on that car at night.

mainly, she reiterated, "extinction, extinction, extinction."

i reiteration, "sob, sob, sob."
Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-06-2008, 11:36 AM

12,036 posts, read 10,660,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barndog View Post
so, update on the situation: i've decided to park my car at another location on an alternating schedule for the next week. i can't figure out for sure whether the spiders are coming solely from my car or if they're coming from my yard as well, and the only way i know to test this is to move my car somewhere else and then drive over and check it out at night.

if the spiders are coming from my car, i believe it will be swarmed at night at the other place because the other place is extremely well-lighted, and they should be coming out to hunt. HOWEVER, if the spiders are originating from my yard, well then, we shouldn't see any spiders on the car when it's at the other location.

also, i talked to the entomologist again today, and this is what she said:

-- a conservative estimate is that i've killed 134 spiders on/in the car, mostly ON...she says i should be coming to the end of this round of spides soon
-- i've got to get the undercarriage cleaned...there may be new egg sacs under there
-- there could be as many as 10 new egg sacs in any dark, protected place on my car...i have to figure out a way to get to these places
-- there could be egg sacs in the grass where i park
-- we have logs in our yard that border our driveway...and these could be harboring spiders and egg sacs as well

she had two thoughts about me parking somewhere else...one, that it's true it might highlight where the problem is coming from, but also that it might exacerbate my current problem b/c the lights at the alternate location may attract more insects, thereby giving the spiders more food.

also, she had the suggestion that i park another car in my yard and see if spiders appear on that car at night.

mainly, she reiterated, "extinction, extinction, extinction."

i reiteration, "sob, sob, sob."
barndog, I would suggest getting the powdered herb & dusting the car, inside & out, if moving it doesn't work. (You can always vacuum the interior later.) The herbal dust won't hurt you, but should finish off the spiders & their prey. It wouldn't hurt to dust the yard, too, where you park.

I've purchased from Penn Herb over the years & they are a highly reputablle business.

Unread 11-06-2008, 12:59 PM

southbound -- i think that's a great idea...only problem is, and i don't think i put this in the earlier post...i have noticed that spider babies are appearing again, which the entomologist said is a sign that a new egg sac is starting to hatch...which stinks because i've pulled down all the egg sacs i could see and killed them, which means that the egg sac is somewhere in the crevasses (crevi?) on the outside of the car that i can't see/reach. which means that i could be killing another 130+ spiders if i don't find those sacs.

newest update is that the car now has an appt with the bodyshop on monday, where all the rubber parts that house the convertible top will be pulled off. i know the spiders live in there b/c i've seen them running in and out. so those parts will be pulled off, and that interior part cleaned out, the undercarriage cleaned out, and any other rubber parts/body parts pulled off that need to be cleaned under.

the bodyshop suggested that i contact my insurance co to see if they would cover the cost, and, of course, they won't b/c there is no damage to the car. but the bodyshop says to that: huh, we'll see, we don't actually know what damage there might be b/c we haven't seen where they're nesting yet.

soooo. i am crossing fingers here that monday might bring an end to my problem, especially since bodyshops know exactly the pains you have to take to preserve a convertible top.

although, this is funny...my insurance company told me there's a clause in a homeowner's policy that actually might cover this problem if it happened to a dwelling.

and, two, he suggested that i trade my car in, and as i left the dealership, just say, hey you might want to check that spider problem out...because apparently there is no disclosure law for this sort of thing.

too bad i have a conscience.

Unread 11-06-2008, 01:05 PM

12,036 posts, read 10,660,157 times
Quote:
southbound -- i think that's a great idea...only problem is, and i don't think i put this in the earlier post...i have noticed that spider babies are appearing again, which the entomologist said is a sign that a new egg sac is starting to hatch...which stinks because i've pulled down all the egg sacs i could see and killed them, which means that the egg sac is somewhere in the crevasses (crevi?) on the outside of the car that i can't see/reach. which means that i could be killing another 130+ spiders if i don't find those sacs.

newest update is that the car now has an appt with the bodyshop on monday, where all the rubber parts that house the convertible top will be pulled off. i know the spiders live in there b/c i've seen them running in and out. so those parts will be pulled off, and that interior part cleaned out, the undercarriage cleaned out, and any other rubber parts/body parts pulled off that need to be cleaned under.

the bodyshop suggested that i contact my insurance co to see if they would cover the cost, and, of course, they won't b/c there is no damage to the car. but the bodyshop says to that: huh, we'll see, we don't actually know what damage there might be b/c we haven't seen where they're nesting yet.

soooo. i am crossing fingers here that monday might bring an end to my problem, especially since bodyshops know exactly the pains you have to take to preserve a convertible top.

although, this is funny...my insurance company told me there's a clause in a homeowner's policy that actually might cover this problem if it happened to a dwelling.

and, two, he suggested that i trade my car in, and as i left the dealership, just say, hey you might want to check that spider problem out...because apparently there is no disclosure law for this sort of thing.

too bad i have a conscience.
Barndog, that's why I suggested dusting (like when you dust a rose bush) The powdered herb would get into crevices & kill the little suckers.

Unread 11-06-2008, 01:52 PM

the dusting sounds perfect, and i will definitely try that for the parts that i can reach. but there's a problem with dusting that i'm probably not explaining very well...

with a car with a convertible top, when the top lowers (at least with mine), it folds down and into a storage space under a rubber protector piece in the back. when the top is up, that space is empty (i think, i really don't know, because it's enclosed by that rubber piece and you can't see inside.)

there's no way to spray or dust inside there without taking that rubber piece off b/c it's a permanent piece of the car. so, probably, there's at least a foot of empty space inside there, and right now the spiders are liking that area a lot.

also, i can't spray or dust in there myself b/c i don't know what's in there...is it empty? or are there electrical pieces in there? also, whatever i put in there will end up at some point touching the convertible top when i put that top down again, and convertible tops stain and shrink really, really easily. in fact, mine is now rippled on the inside because of bug spray that was sprayed inside the car last week that DIDN'T even come in contact with the top.

so that's why the dust, which would work well with doorframes and the crevasses around my trunk, places like that...that's why it won't work with these rubber pieces around the convertible top.

also, the other big problem with dusting, which would work great for killing the spiders themselves, is that i have to kill the egg sacs that have been laid...right now i'm starting to see new babies, which means i have i have more than one egg sac on the car. according to the entomologist and the exterminators, dusts and sprays don't kill the egg sacs. you physically have to kill them, such as crush them.

i know, it's sort of unbelievable that it would take this much work. seems like you could just shoot the car with spray or dust the car and be done. but that darn convertible top really complicates matters a lot. i've had a convertible for the last eight years, but i tell you, this is really making me reconsider THAT decision.

but i do also like the powder idea for our yard. i think between mowing the grass really well and powdering the yard, that would really take care of both any eggs sacs in the yard and the actual spiders.

hey, though, for all of you who are parking on paved spots and in garages, the entomologist says spiders don't lay egg sacs on pavement! good news!

Unread 11-06-2008, 02:08 PM

330 posts, read 675,549 times
Hope it works! Good Luck!

Unread 11-06-2008, 08:02 PM

9,093 posts, read 19,516,598 times
OH good lord

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 11-06-2008 at 08:31 PM..

Unread 11-07-2008, 06:41 AM

5,973 posts, read 11,117,837 times
Awwww barndog...I sure hope this saga ends for you!

Unread 11-07-2008, 08:17 AM

221 posts, read 331,204 times
A dust like Drione would work, but use it sparingly....that's all that's needed. If you put out enough to see, you've applied too much!!

And if you dust your yard, be careful of drift caused by wind! In this litigious society, your neighbor a block away might want to sue!!

Good luck to you...again...lol.

Quote:
the dusting sounds perfect, and i will definitely try that for the parts that i can reach. but there's a problem with dusting that i'm probably not explaining very well...

with a car with a convertible top, when the top lowers (at least with mine), it folds down and into a storage space under a rubber protector piece in the back. when the top is up, that space is empty (i think, i really don't know, because it's enclosed by that rubber piece and you can't see inside.)

there's no way to spray or dust inside there without taking that rubber piece off b/c it's a permanent piece of the car. so, probably, there's at least a foot of empty space inside there, and right now the spiders are liking that area a lot.

also, i can't spray or dust in there myself b/c i don't know what's in there...is it empty? or are there electrical pieces in there? also, whatever i put in there will end up at some point touching the convertible top when i put that top down again, and convertible tops stain and shrink really, really easily. in fact, mine is now rippled on the inside because of bug spray that was sprayed inside the car last week that DIDN'T even come in contact with the top.

so that's why the dust, which would work well with doorframes and the crevasses around my trunk, places like that...that's why it won't work with these rubber pieces around the convertible top.

also, the other big problem with dusting, which would work great for killing the spiders themselves, is that i have to kill the egg sacs that have been laid...right now i'm starting to see new babies, which means i have i have more than one egg sac on the car. according to the entomologist and the exterminators, dusts and sprays don't kill the egg sacs. you physically have to kill them, such as crush them.

i know, it's sort of unbelievable that it would take this much work. seems like you could just shoot the car with spray or dust the car and be done. but that darn convertible top really complicates matters a lot. i've had a convertible for the last eight years, but i tell you, this is really making me reconsider THAT decision.

but i do also like the powder idea for our yard. i think between mowing the grass really well and powdering the yard, that would really take care of both any eggs sacs in the yard and the actual spiders.

hey, though, for all of you who are parking on paved spots and in garages, the entomologist says spiders don't lay egg sacs on pavement! good news!

Unread 11-11-2008, 08:52 AM

first, thank you everyone who was so sympathetic in this thread. i have really appreciated it! it has been a really crappy month with this car.

so, finally, my last update. i hope!!! (unless i post back here later to say i sold the car...)

i took my car to a bodyshop yesterday so that the owner could completely take the car apart, just as if it were in a wreck, and look at it from the inside out. this way, someone could get a glimpse at exactly what was going on in there.

i have to be honest, i almost didn't take it because i was worried about the cost and because i wasn't sure he would find anything.

but it's a darn good thing i did.

because he found several nests deep in two parts under the hood where the hood meets the windshield...(i'll post back later when i find out the names of these two parts, i thought the admin asst said cow tile and heat pump, but could that even be right?). apparently leaves were stuck in there from where i used to park under a tree a couple of years ago, and spiders like leaves. both parts had to be replaced, and the bodyshop folks killed the spiders by hand.

they say i might see a couple more spiders, but that should be it.

i am crossing my fingers they are right!

so now it's off to pay the bodyshop, and then maybe i am done with this horrible business!

(the sad thing is: how long will it take before i feel comfortable in my car again, especially since the conservative estimate for spiders killed on my car was 145?)

so thanks again everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte