U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 09:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,788 times

Advertisements

Hello all...
Thank you for any responses. I am from Chicago. Had it with the snow...
I am a chiropractor and want to move to Charlotte. I visited 1x and liked south Charlotte. Wondering what you can tell me about the schools, the area, the weather (summers and winters)...Is it too hot to keep your lawn watered in the summer, can kids play outside in summer?

Are people from all over that relocated or anything else you can mention.
Thanks I have 3 young boys that are into sports..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 09:22 AM

97 posts, read 246,537 times
I live in South Charlotte in Marvin. Wonderful area with great neighborhoods and schools. The Marvin schools (Marvin Ridge Middle and High) have an excellent reputation and excellent scores. The teachers and administration are great.

We do have frequent water restrictions which can make your yard brown. Many people in this area will put in a well strictly for irrigation.

My kids play outside all the time in the summer. On the hot days we spend it at the pool. Also lots of sports in the area. The schools have booster clubs that supports many sports. For younger children there are clubs that have the range of sporting events to sign up for.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:24 AM

OH...and the winters are very mild. Too mild for me. I'm from Illinois and I really miss the snow. We usually head to the mountains at some point in the winter so we can ski and have our children play in the snow.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:20 AM

2 posts, read 2,788 times
thank you, what part of IL are you from

Old 10-23-2008, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIRICH View Post
thank you, what part of IL are you from
Champaign/Urbana area. Love it there! I'd probably move back if I could! Charlotte is a close second though. It's very nice here. Great schools, great neighbors, great weather.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:30 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,746,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIRICH View Post
Hello all...
Thank you for any responses. I am from Chicago. Had it with the snow...
I am a chiropractor and want to move to Charlotte. I visited 1x and liked south Charlotte. Wondering what you can tell me about the schools, the area, the weather (summers and winters)...Is it too hot to keep your lawn watered in the summer, can kids play outside in summer?

Are people from all over that relocated or anything else you can mention.
Thanks I have 3 young boys that are into sports..
From the people and weather perspective, it's awesome down here. My kids play sports all year long. If you visit the main page of city-data, you can check on a lot of basic statistics.

Just be careful with the timing. Charlotte is going through a tough time right now economically. I'm not sure about your line of work though. You would have to research that for yourself. But I do know too many people that are having a difficult time finding employment and I hear the mortgage requirements are becoming stricter.

Good Luck to you.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:22 PM

7,041 posts, read 13,104,253 times
hi, also from the city...but, made the move a long time ago.

Miss city life, do NOT miss snow, so that is good, since we don't get much here. Your first few summers you will fry; after that, it's not so bad.

Home prices/taxes will be cheaper overall, food is the same or more expensive. This is more like living in Schaumburg as a comparison; lots of homeowner's associations (I HATE THEM), lots of chain stores/restaurants, little to no public transportation and you will drive a lot more. No baseball except for AAA stuff that supports the White Sox (you can see from my name why that is a problem for me), but, there is basketball & American football. There are a LOT of medical complexes (more on the south side) and things, do your research as to whether or not we can support another chiropractor. Used to be massive growth here, but, that has slowed due to the economy. Schools...well...there's no Lane Tech and I was overall very disappointed in the school system.

Crime is here; the gangs have found a new foothold and, although it seems like some progress is being made, I am concerned about our local government's in-fighting as to whether or not it will be effective.

Only one shop that serves real hot dogs & Italian beef...Matt's Chicago Dog...two locations, one downtown and one in Mooresville. There is an Unos downtown for pizza.

Lots of transplanted Chicagoans here. (mostly on the north side, however) Lots of Cubs fans. However, if I had to guess, our biggest group would be transplanted New Yorkers or northeasterners.

Just do your research, there are some excellent threads on the state of our economy and even crime.

Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte