Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:06 AM

241 posts, read 891,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
I am very glad to hear that BET has given it's stamp of approval for Charlotte {but wait is that a good thing, considering it's programming). I am a black female, that is moving with my husband and 3 children in the summer of 08. Right now I am just researching the different areas. We have visited twice now and looking around most of the county. I can say that we rode through the Lincoln Heights neighborhood (28216 zipcode) and knew that was not the area for us.
We want to move into a racially balanced neighborhood (okay as most as it can be) so our children will have a the same atmosphere aswe live in now. I just want some ideas on which neighborhoods are good for younger families.

Also, moving from FL, we do not have state taxes, can someone explain how state taxes work. I'll use $35,000 per year as an example. Thank you in advanced.

PS. I am a new poster.
I would say that the most "diverse" area that I found in Charlotte as far as school districts go would have to be the Butler school district area (I believe that that encompasses some of Matthews and Mint Hill as well). However, we didn't move into that area because of a few different issues. Good luck with your search.

Last edited by damaranicole; 01-25-2008 at 10:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 09:20 PM

124 posts, read 361,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I gotta say---those lists of info you provided were among some of the best I have seen on City-Data! You've given me much 'ammunition' for my ongoing debate with my beloved wife as to where we might relocate and/or retire to...it warms my heart to know that Charlotte has a vibrant, thriving, active black community.

I currently live in Middletown, Ohio, born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio, and have lived in Indianapolis, IN and Carpentersville, IL (Kane County, north of Chicago)...my wife lived in King Of Prussia, Pa for 9 yrs before returning to Middletown, and she has said on more than one occasion that she misses Philly...I have looked into Philly, too, but now that I have been privy to your Charlotte info, I am very (as my young nephew says) 'geeked', and will continue to beat the drum for Charlotte as well...I love this forum, and being a 50-something black man myself, it's nice to know there are folks like you who don't mind educating the rest of us with articles and information...well done, sir
Hi There Captaincatfish.,
Good to see that not everyone moving or moved to Charlotte are only in there 30's. :-)I see you are from OH a neighbor of mine. I am originally from MI. I presently live in Va Beach by way of NYC and working on relocating to Charlotte. I hope to get down to look around the area ASAP and ready to move as soon as my place here in Va. sells. Ugh//Hopefully soon, .I am looking in the Blakeney/Ballantyne area. I hope to rent a while before buying to get to know the area first.. If you have any tips that others have shared with you I sure would appreciate hearing from you. I am a single female my main interest is safety.I am not sure if I am using this site correctly but working on it but another e-mail is opaleast@gmail.com I have heard so much positive things about Charlotte I am sure your wife also loves it as you said you do.
Looks like people are coming here in droves.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:54 AM

22 posts, read 59,437 times
Default BET.com ranks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
how in the hell did Washington DC finish 2nd?! DC is no place for a black family, hell any family!
Come on now. You know DC got the jobs. Naw I wouldn't live in the city, but I lived nearby for 30 plus years. Until I had something to compare it to... I did think it was all that. I got reasons that may make you change your mind... smile.

Old 05-30-2008, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Ha!!! That was good. But I'm not gone knock DC because I like the place and I have several friends who live there. But I'll play devil's advocate and guess that the study didn't really look at "cities", but probably more likely "metro areas". For DC that would mean places like PG County which is widely known as having the largest population of prominent African-Americans of any municipality in the country. The "city" of DC is probably the only thing keeping that region from being number one. Just a guess.

WOW, you are on target!!! PG County!!! yeah...

Old 05-30-2008, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Yes Charlotte does have a large middle class African-American population. I can see why they would rate CLT high on their list.

I think they are all over, and thats good. Not in one condensed area.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bliss_user View Post
I've lived in DC and now Charlotte.

If you have to live in "tha hood" because it's all you can afford, I would say both cities are about equal.

DC, however, offers more assistance for economically challeged families and individuals. As least in my estimation. In DC, qualified seniors and low-income families can receive partial or full funds to cover all utility payments by applying to the Department of Energy.

We haven't been able to locate any such program for a senior member of our family who resides in Charlotte.

DC's bus and rail systems offer extensive routes that traverse nearly every corner of the city, including some of the closer suburbs. There is nothing even close in Charlotte.

The school system here in Meck county is undergoing a major overhaul because of serious issues with overcrowding, poor student performance, etc.

I guess it all depends on what's really important to one's lifestyle...
When you move, extensive research before is required. All of the above is a shock to many, because they come for low housing... You gotta see if the whole package fits.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayjormom View Post
I definitely had to comment on this one. I grew up in DC, currently live in MD (PG County), and will be moving to the Charlotte area in June. I don't know how DC is on the list either. Maybe bet.com is biased alittle because the BET headquarters are located in DC. I love my city I am proud to be from DC, but I would be insane to stay in this area. I can't wait to get to Charlotte. DC is not economical at all, and the school system is one of the worst in the nation (taught there for 3 years). Anyway, I am on my way to Charlotte and I am just laughing at all the idiots who want to stay in the DC area (including my family). LOL

Trust me, both have their good and bad. But be warned, You can not run away from everything you consider bad, when its all said and done, there are things that you will begin to say differently when you are here for more than a year...

Old 05-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey View Post
I am a white american and I definitely agree with BET. Having a house built in Charlotte and my parents living there now, Charlotte (suburban subdivisions) seems to be a very nice, diverse middle class area. All the developments we have been to as well as where my parents live are home to african americans, white and latino. Everyone keeps their homes and property beautiful and I've even said to my husband recently, "Now THIS is the American dream." Moving from the Northeast, this is how it should be. Sure, houses can't be just handed out to people but if you're hardworking, good living people, you should be able to get something for it instead of busting your *(&!@#@ in the NE just to barely pay your rent on some small or dumpy apartment and no quality of life, such as we are. Life and the quality of shouldn't just be for the rich like it is in New Jersey. So glad to get outta here, Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!

Was in Jersey last week. Could not believe my former neighbors's daughter (moved from there in the 70's to MD) told me she was paying close to $10,000 yearly in taxes. I see why people are moving outta there. But be warned, less taxes equal less services... Can't have it both ways...

Old 05-30-2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
Carolina Blue, would you mind sending me the links as well?

Thanks

Also, I researched Charlotte in 2006 based on Black Enterprise "Best City" for Black Families. I agree with the results. Charlotte is still growing, and it is not as congested as Atlanta. Compared to the NE, Atlanta is also a good deal for Black Families.
Since it has been posted for different sites as being the best place to live... The 80,000 that came in 2007 will cause increases yearly. The future depends on how fast we keep up with roads etc to help with the new increase. I am meeting many stay at home workers...

Old 05-30-2008, 06:35 PM

70 posts, read 160,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie to Charlotte View Post
I'd like to be around progressive positive African Americans. What are the best neighborhoods in Charlotte for that.

Also, where are the hang outs. where do we congregate when we are looking to have a good time in the Charlotte area.

thanks in advance for the feedback

WoW! I'm really surprised this thread is so positive. If this was a white couple stating the same thing they would be slammed for racisim. ( I read all the replies and see none...)
Was it not last week or so when a couple wanted to find other straight couples to hang with and they were bombasted with negativity. Get it straight people.
Whites and straights cannot want to be with themselves with out being derelict but every other so called minority has open call? What is up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte