U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:19 PM

417 posts, read 730,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I went to Lowes Motor Speedway today and had an absolute blast!! (Didnt even take the corvette) A lot of good stuff was priced at giveaway... bought a few caps ($1) and t-shirts (2 for $5), donated $25 to charity and took 3 laps around the big track. I highly recommend this!! Put a permagrin on my face.

XcapefromNJ;

We haven't ventured to the Lowe's speedway yet but my husband would love to do what you did...he's a thrill seeker too. Are the laps that you took part of the Richard Petty Driving Experience or something different? Do you use your own car?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 03:36 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,912,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Singe View Post
XcapefromNJ;

We haven't ventured to the Lowe's speedway yet but my husband would love to do what you did...he's a thrill seeker too. Are the laps that you took part of the Richard Petty Driving Experience or something different? Do you use your own car?

Thanks!

(Here is the press release describing the event from LMS)
http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/news_photos/news/538422.html (broken link)

This is a once a year thing they do on the day after Thanksgiving only. They have an end of year clearance sale and to encourage people to come in and buy the merchandise they let you drive your own car around the track if you spend $50. Alternatively you can donate $25 to charity and take your own car for a spin around the track. They give you 3 laps behind a pacecar. The rules say maximum speed 70 mph but there is a lot of room for "cheating" if you are so inclined. As far as I am concerned the thrill is in being there and experiencing the banked turns, not driving your personal vehicle at 150 mph... although that would be fun too!

You can't beat this for "bang for the buck!" I picked up some real nice real nice inexpensive stuff, then figured out I couldn't spend $50 without bringing home a load of junk so just donated $25 to the children's charity. Then had the time of my life driving my own car 3 laps around LMS. This year they have extended the clearance sale from 1 day to 3 days but the track is being used for driving schools (Like the Richard Petty Experience) Saturday and Sunday so today was the only day they allowed the public to drive on the track. Sat and Sunday I think they are giving tours of the new dragstrip.

The Richard Petty Driving experience sounds like fun, especially where they actually let you drive their race car around the track, but it costs a lot of money.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:55 PM

417 posts, read 730,087 times
Quote:
(Here is the press release describing the event from LMS)
Lowe's Motor Speedway | News & Photos | News Archives (http://www.lowesmotorspeedway.com/news_photos/news/538422.html - broken link)

This is a once a year thing they do on the day after Thanksgiving only. They have an end of year clearance sale and to encourage people to come in and buy the merchandise they let you drive your own car around the track if you spend $50. Alternatively you can donate $25 to charity and take your own car for a spin around the track. They give you 3 laps behind a pacecar. The rules say maximum speed 70 mph but there is a lot of room for "cheating" if you are so inclined. As far as I am concerned the thrill is in being there and experiencing the banked turns, not driving your personal vehicle at 150 mph... although that would be fun too!

You can't beat this for "bang for the buck!" I picked up some real nice real nice inexpensive stuff, then figured out I couldn't spend $50 without bringing home a load of junk so just donated $25 to the children's charity. Then had the time of my life driving my own car 3 laps around LMS. This year they have extended the clearance sale from 1 day to 3 days but the track is being used for driving schools (Like the Richard Petty Experience) Saturday and Sunday so today was the only day they allowed the public to drive on the track. Sat and Sunday I think they are giving tours of the new dragstrip.

The Richard Petty Driving experience sounds like fun, especially where they actually let you drive their race car around the track, but it costs a lot of money.
Thanks for the info! Sounds like fun I didn't know they did that after Thanksgiving. Will have to check it out. The local news this evening happen to mention the event but as usual they only say 2 seconds worth of info and give no real details

Old 11-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,270,697 times
Quote:
I went to Lowes Motor Speedway today and had an absolute blast!! (Didnt even take the corvette) A lot of good stuff was priced at giveaway... bought a few caps ($1) and t-shirts (2 for $5), donated $25 to charity and took 3 laps around the big track. I highly recommend this!! Put a permagrin on my face.

I'm going to be on my way to that tomorrow morning before it starts to rain. I don't know if I'll be doing any laps around the track but the 2 for $5 on the shirts sounds appealing.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:31 PM

4,760 posts, read 6,404,328 times
How fast did you get going?

I got up to about 120 last year. Didn't go this year because I heard they raised the price and I have no money to really blow.

Old 11-28-2008, 07:24 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,912,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I'm going to be on my way to that tomorrow morning before it starts to rain. I don't know if I'll be doing any laps around the track but the 2 for $5 on the shirts sounds appealing.
You will not be able to drive on the track!! That was one day only, and that one day was today, Friday.

I don't think I went over 85 mph. The gap between me and the pacecar got bigger and bigger over the course of 3 laps! That towtruck out in front was really moving! I was busy trying not to fall off the steeply banked turns!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:03 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,551 posts, read 9,270,697 times
Quote:
You will not be able to drive on the track!! That was one day only, and that one day was today, Friday.

I don't think I went over 85 mph. The gap between me and the pacecar got bigger and bigger over the course of 3 laps! That towtruck out in front was really moving! I was busy trying not to fall off the steeply banked turns!
I don't need to drive on the track, just get a thing or two at a steal.

Now try climbing the banks around turn 3 and 4. You might find yourself white knuckle gripping the wall and carefully walking down to the front stretch.

And it doesn't look like the weather's gonna allow me to really get a look at what's going on there this year. At least there's the tree lighting this Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte