U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2008, 12:54 AM
NDL NDL started this thread

1,373 posts, read 1,472,286 times

Advertisements

On a last minute whim, at the end of August, we took a short trip to Charlotte for the first time (we're lifelong New Yorkers).

We stayed in the Matthews/Mint Hill area, and found it very pleasant.

In no time, we found a great church in Indian Trail, and became well acquainted with the area. Matthews/Mint Hill is clean, neat, and pleasant to the eye. Convenience abounds, with a wealth of stores and shopping. We found a good family Italian restaurant in Fontanella's (Matthews).

The best surprise of all? The people. No maniacs on the roads. No one in a crazy rush. People had manors! No pompous jerks on cell phones in restaurants. Kids were well behaved (sometimes you didn't even know that they were there!).

The roads were easy to navigate.

As nice as Matthews was, although it'd be on my short list of neighborhoods to seriously consider, I didn't take to it 100% - mostly because I/we like older homes - which brings us to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a small, and very clean, city. Few negatives, although the lack of a police presence was very noticeable - and concerning.

We briefly took a look at Dilworth and Myers Park, Uptown, South End, and Ballentyne. All were very nice, but we'd want to take another look before putting them on our short list.

In short, can anyone recommend an older, densely populated neighborhood, that's safe?

If there's anyone from Long Island on the board, we're looking for a neighborhood like Babylon Village, or Rockville Centre. If you're from Jersey, were looking for a neighborhood whose aesthetics match Freehold (village), or Nutley.

Next time we visit, we plan on taking a better look at Dilworth and Myers Park, in addition to the Fourth Ward, and Plaza Midwood.

In the above neighborhoods, are there any specific points to look at? Specifically family friendly villages/stores/restaurants? Are there any neighborhoods that I missed?

Finally, where should we stay away from? Again, I don't want to take a wrong turn into an area where I would rather not be. I've checked police maps, but they're daunting for a newcomer who knows nothing about the area. Generalizations are fine.

Are there any good phototours of Charlotte neighborhoods? I've found limited stuff on the net.

I have limited access to the internet, but want to thank everyone in advance, for their time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,988,897 times
Try Elizabeth, Chantilly or even the Cherry neighborhood. Plaza Midwood is good too, and there are some really nice areas around Charlotte Country Club. These are in addition to Dilworth and Myers Park, of course. All of these neighborhoods are upper middle class or higher.

Depending on our price range, check out Eastover. You'll need $1MM+ to get in a home over there though.

When you're in an area you shouldn't be, you'll know it. Grier Heights, Belmont, sections of North Davidson, pretty much all of northwest Charlotte (LaSalle Street)... stay away. Also - avoid large older apartment complexes... they seem to be crime stat generators in Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:41 AM

21 posts, read 40,108 times
I agree with Native Son, but I would also suggest next time your down here make your way to the town of Davidson. Its only a breif ride from Charlotte and its at Lake Norman. This is a fantastic town with an ivy league college, I think you guys would love it its quite,quait,very clean, with the style of living your looking for.

Old 10-25-2008, 02:01 PM

2,193 posts, read 3,223,787 times
Type in addresses in maps.google.com. The street views are very good and clear.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:49 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,862,623 times
I apologize in advance for being rude, but I just couldn't resist!!!!

Quote:
People had manors!
Yes, we do get a lot more for our housing dollar down here!!!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 AM

2,489 posts, read 2,893,185 times
If you think Davidson is small and quiet now, you'd have a heart attack if you knew how it was 20 years ago.

If you consider moving to Davidson and work near downtown, get ready to spend a lot of time in your car. Las trip I took up there was about 45 minutes from downtown.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:02 AM

228 posts, read 662,782 times
Freehold Boro most closely resembles Dilworth/South End in terms of aesthetics although it is a little different. Definitely similiar though.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:20 PM

237 posts, read 565,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
On a last minute whim, at the end of August, we took a short trip to Charlotte for the first time (we're lifelong New Yorkers).

We stayed in the Matthews/Mint Hill area, and found it very pleasant.

In no time, we found a great church in Indian Trail, and became well acquainted with the area. Matthews/Mint Hill is clean, neat, and pleasant to the eye. Convenience abounds, with a wealth of stores and shopping. We found a good family Italian restaurant in Fontanella's (Matthews).

The best surprise of all? The people. No maniacs on the roads. No one in a crazy rush. People had manors! No pompous jerks on cell phones in restaurants. Kids were well behaved (sometimes you didn't even know that they were there!).

The roads were easy to navigate.

As nice as Matthews was, although it'd be on my short list of neighborhoods to seriously consider, I didn't take to it 100% - mostly because I/we like older homes - which brings us to Charlotte.

Charlotte is a small, and very clean, city. Few negatives, although the lack of a police presence was very noticeable - and concerning.

We briefly took a look at Dilworth and Myers Park, Uptown, South End, and Ballentyne. All were very nice, but we'd want to take another look before putting them on our short list.

In short, can anyone recommend an older, densely populated neighborhood, that's safe?

If there's anyone from Long Island on the board, we're looking for a neighborhood like Babylon Village, or Rockville Centre. If you're from Jersey, were looking for a neighborhood whose aesthetics match Freehold (village), or Nutley.

Next time we visit, we plan on taking a better look at Dilworth and Myers Park, in addition to the Fourth Ward, and Plaza Midwood.

In the above neighborhoods, are there any specific points to look at? Specifically family friendly villages/stores/restaurants? Are there any neighborhoods that I missed?

Finally, where should we stay away from? Again, I don't want to take a wrong turn into an area where I would rather not be. I've checked police maps, but they're daunting for a newcomer who knows nothing about the area. Generalizations are fine.

Are there any good phototours of Charlotte neighborhoods? I've found limited stuff on the net.

I have limited access to the internet, but want to thank everyone in advance, for their time!

Nothing like Babylon Village or RVC here in charlotte. Davidson or matthews is the closest you will get but its not that close. Might try this site and click on the NC/charlotte and it will list towns, if there are pictures click on the town.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:21 PM

Thanks all, for your very helpful replies !

Are there any particular streets (main thoroughfares) worth seeing, in each respective section listed?

The primary mistake I made when visiting the last time, is that I simply cruised around side streets; getting a decent feel for each section, but not knowing where the 'town centre' of each section was. We saw several big box stores and strip malls, but didn't get a good taste of local fare/stores.

Any particular road/street to visit in Elizabeth, Myers Park, or Chantilly?

We'll definitely take a look at Davidson next time we're down.

One thing for certain: Charlotte is indeed a beautiful city!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I apologize in advance for being rude, but I just couldn't resist!!!!

Yes, we do get a lot more for our housing dollar down here!!!
I don't think you were being rude at all. Actually, attitudes in New York vary greatly. I am, in fact, a New Yorker in every sense of the word, but the place we're currently at isn't, for us, all that great - even by NY standards.

There's a great difference in attitudes between 'old money' and nouveau riche.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte