Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 11:16 AM

74 posts, read 313,369 times

Advertisements

I recently got a promotion, which includes a move to Charlotte. I'm looking for a rental property for the next year or so, I just don't know exactly where I should look in the charlotte area. I know about some of the trendy spots, and don't really care about all that. What neighborhoods should I look at? I'll be working in SW charlotte, so suggestions that would give me a 20min max commute would be ideal.

If you have a rental property, 1 bed, 1 bath is fine, it's just me and the pup. I'm not sure what the market is down there for rentals, but I would like to be in the $600-750 range.

Plus, any suggestions on what to do? I'll be coming from Raleigh with, as you can see, limited knowledge of the Charlotte area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 01:56 PM

177 posts, read 552,336 times
Check out Belmont and Mount Holly areas in Gaston County. They're really safe areas with less traffic and close to SW Charlotte.

Old 10-25-2008, 01:57 PM

177 posts, read 552,336 times
I hear good things about the Steele Creek area of Charlotte. I think that is in SW Charlotte, or at least close.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:43 PM

Thanks Snow! I'll check those out!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:04 PM

Hey guys, I have been checking out some properties online, the houses look alright, 1940-60 cottage style, on or around Barringer near the Revolution park golf course. How is that neighborhood?

Just a little about myself so that you can get a better grasp... I'm a young professional caucasian male, and just so there is no bitter feelings, I am not coming into town due to this bank merger!!!

I look forward to any info you can give me, thanks in advance!

Oh, and the wilmore area too.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:38 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga View Post
Hey guys, I have been checking out some properties online, the houses look alright, 1940-60 cottage style, on or around Barringer near the Revolution park golf course. How is that neighborhood?

Just a little about myself so that you can get a better grasp... I'm a young professional caucasian male, and just so there is no bitter feelings, I am not coming into town due to this bank merger!!!

I look forward to any info you can give me, thanks in advance!

Oh, and the wilmore area too.
Kanga, in your price range you will not find a home to rent in a safe area in Charlotte. You will need to be looking at apartments okay? Barringer near Revolution Park is the 'hood - same for Wilmore. I only recommend these areas to "urban pioneers" who want to buy in an area where they know what to expect. My best recommendation to you is to look in the Steele Creek area of town, which is where you will be working anyway

Old 10-27-2008, 09:41 PM

Oh, well that's sad. Thanks though!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:34 PM

19 posts, read 82,096 times
Couple of things. You probably won't feel comfortable at all renting in southwest Charlotte-high crime, in the 'hood, etc. If you have the exact address where you will be working, use mapquest.com to find out the approximate travel time from where you think you want to live to your work location. Do not rent anything from T.R. Lawing. They are big rental management company in Charlotte with a less than stellar reputation. The only type of house you can find in your price range will not be very nice nor in a good area. For apartments, check out apartmentratings.com and apartmentguide.com before you rent. The apartments on apartmentguide often have online coupons and specials, but you have to mention it when you go into the rental office aand/or print off the coupons. Also, you can find a very nice one-bedroom apartment in your price range depending on where you go. For instance, my daughter has young, professional friends who live at the Marquis of Carmel Commons in Charlotte. It's in an upscale area of south Charlotte, its modern, very beautiful, and pet-friendly. A lot of young professionals live there. Also, many apartment communities have activities, gyms, pools, parties, etc where it will be easier for you to meet friends, especially since you have a dog-always a great icebreaker. Mapquest showed the Marquis as being 26 minutes from Barringer Road (where you saw the little cottage) This is probably too far for you, but its just an example of what you can find. Also, just another thought for making friends here-try this site www.meetup.com My cousin had great luck in finding a group of people she now hangs with. I hope all goes well with your move!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:36 PM

19 posts, read 82,096 times
Couple of things. You probably won't feel comfortable at all renting in southwest Charlotte-high crime, in the 'hood, etc. If you have the exact address where you will be working, use mapquest.com to find out the approximate travel time from where you think you want to live to your work location. Do not rent anything from T.R. Lawing. They are big rental management company in Charlotte with a less than stellar reputation. The only type of house you can find in your price range will not be very nice nor in a good area. For apartments, check out apartmentratings.com and apartmentguide.com before you rent. The apartments on apartmentguide often have online coupons and specials, but you have to mention it when you go into the rental office aand/or print off the coupons. Also, you can find a very nice one-bedroom apartment in your price range depending on where you go. For instance, my daughter has young, professional friends who live at the Marquis of Carmel Commons in Charlotte. It's in an upscale area of south Charlotte, its modern, very beautiful, and pet-friendly. A lot of young professionals live there. Also, many apartment communities have activities, gyms, pools, parties, etc where it will be easier for you to meet friends, especially since you have a dog-always a great icebreaker. Mapquest showed the Marquis as being 26 minutes from Barringer Road (where you saw the little cottage) This is probably too far for you, but its just an example of what you can find. Also, just another thought for making friends here-try this site www.meetup.com My cousin had great luck in finding a group of people she now hangs with. For additional info. on Charlotte, try www.charlotteobserver.com/livinghere. I hope all goes well with your move!

Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,019,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Kanga, in your price range you will not find a home to rent in a safe area in Charlotte. You will need to be looking at apartments okay? Barringer near Revolution Park is the 'hood - same for Wilmore. I only recommend these areas to "urban pioneers" who want to buy in an area where they know what to expect. My best recommendation to you is to look in the Steele Creek area of town, which is where you will be working anyway

On the higher range of your scale you can rent a new 2/2 in Steele Creek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte