U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:06 AM

575 posts, read 1,350,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Ron View Post
"Radio Ron - I sincerely hope you're not serious!"
Damn right I'm serious. I moved to Charlotte 49 years ago (from another North Carolina town, just so you don't think I'm a yankee to) with my parents, I was 7 years old. I've seen the nice middle class neighborhoods that I grew up and schools I attended ruined to the point where I wouldn't be comfortable walking down the street in the middle of the day, and no way after dark. We moved to Union County 20 years ago and I've seen it being ruined to same way. The beautiful farms and fields are now full of what we call "Yankee Farms", Grandpa dies and leaves his farm he loved and cared for to the kids, all they want is the money for it so they sell it to some crooked developer, he scrapes the ground and plants cheap houses 10 feet or less apart and yankees come there to live. And they bring their problems including crime with them.
Thanks goodness we got our house when and where we did. I just hope they can do something about the crime before it gets to bad here.
Why these people want to live in these packed in like sardines neighborhoods I'll never know. Buy a house way out in what used to be the country, that's so close to the one next door that if it catches on fire the plastic siding on theirs will melt.

We've got almost 3 acres, the closest house is 100 yards through the woods, there's no way I'd want to be any closer than that.
When we were house hunting 20+ years ago I came up with a term that drove our realtor crazy, "That's a 55 MPH house" that means I could tell at 55 MPH I didn't want to live there. Now there are 55 MPH neighborhoods all over western Union County.

Ron
Hey Ron, maybe the kids didn't want Grandpa's farm and sold it to a LOCAL greedy developer and bought an apartment overlooking Central Park? Your description of the ideal house setting appears that you enjoy being isolated from others. I remember the FBI searching for somebody who enjoyed the same type of surroundings. He enjoyed the peace and quite while penning his manifesto. Live long and enjoy the new south!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 08:08 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Hey Ron, maybe the kids didn't want Grandpa's farm and sold it to a LOCAL greedy developer and bought an apartment overlooking Central Park? Your description of the ideal house setting appears that you enjoy being isolated from others. I remember the FBI searching for somebody who enjoyed the same type of surroundings. He enjoyed the peace and quite while penning his manifesto. Live long and enjoy the new south!
Diamondplayer - sadly - what you described is very often what has occurred. The developers more often than not are w/ the national companies, but it takes a family agreeing to sell off property to give the "greedy" developer a foot in the door, so to speak. Yes, Southerners have done what our grandparents and great grandparents made us PROMISE we would not do - SELL THE LAND. It makes me wanna cry. It has happened in my own family. Land that has been inherited since the early 1800s - got sold in the past five years. So 200 or so years of land being protected . . . gone now - and covered w/ cookie cutter houses on tiny lots. But you know - people see the development all around them and they think - why hold out? The city limits creep toward you . . . things get annexed . . . elderly retired farmers on fixed income (or living off assets) can no longer pay the taxes . . . this is what happens.

Blame progress? Blame the newcomers? "If you build it, they will come." Yes. True. But what about - "we are here, so meet our needs." It is a chicken and egg argument - did we entice newcomers to arrive? Yes, if they found a job here - we did say "come to our region."

Now, we are going to go thru/ some difficult economic times here in our region - but - is there any place in this country that is immune to the financial debacle? I don't think so! We will all have to suffer thru/ 2009; surely 2010 will be more stable. Until then, jobs are gonna be the driving force. People will move from here and to here - depending on where they can find a job.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:16 AM

4,222 posts, read 6,711,313 times
I can understand and have witnessed many great middle class neighborhoods turning into violent slums today where original occupants have had to move in order to survive. This is apparant in many westside neighborhoods. I have to say that yankees haven't really been the problem. As a native and a returnee after many years away from the Charlotte area, my wife and I decided to move into a home where we don't have a huge yard to maintain. There is about 12 feet between my house and the next door neighbor's house. That is what we wanted so that we can travel and not have to worry about upkeep. People have different lifestyles than they did when I was a kid. Many local citizens are more mobile now and don't have time for huge yards especially if there are no kids. Charlotte has always been a progressive city. As a result, we have had a remarkable influx of new citizens. We built the city and made it attractive to outsiders so I guess we have to suck it up and deal with growth patterns (both positive and negative) and blame ourselves. Personally, I was drawn back to the area because of the change.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:23 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,023,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandibadji View Post
I can understand and have witnessed many great middle class neighborhoods turning into violent slums today where original occupants have had to move in order to survive. This is apparant in many westside neighborhoods. I have to say that yankees haven't really been the problem. As a native and a returnee after many years away from the Charlotte area, my wife and I decided to move into a home where we don't have a huge yard to maintain. There is about 12 feet between my house and the next door neighbor's house. That is what we wanted so that we can travel and not have to worry about upkeep. People have different lifestyles than they did when I was a kid. Many local citizens are more mobile now and don't have time for huge yards especially if there are no kids. Charlotte has always been a progressive city. As a result, we have had a remarkable influx of new citizens. We built the city and made it attractive to outsiders so I guess we have to suck it up and deal with growth patterns (both positive and negative) and blame ourselves. Personally, I was drawn back to the area because of the change.
Good points, Bandi. And I hope I didn't give the wrong impression w/ my info about my family selling land. I just would have preferred they had sold the land to developers who agreed to never deeding off small lots. But for many of us, an "estate" situation - several acres - would not be attractive.

My DH keeps talking about retiring to a "patio home" - w/ maintenance on site. I just can't get excited about it, but who knows. In time, I may feel the same way.

Many of the changes that have come b/c this area has grown - such as more restaurants, more retail - are very attractive to me, also. In fact, those things are what I insist on at this stage of my life. I want to be near retail, medical and restaurants.

I would like to have seen more agricultural land preserved, or at least, less dense housing . . . but there is definitely a market for all the different types of housing here - and one day - I may be searching for a condo or patio home myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte