Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 11:40 AM

94 posts, read 251,863 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Charlotte from TX in Jan. I will be a SAHM, DH will be working uptown. He will also be traveling a lot, so easy commute to airport would be convenient. We have a teenager with special needs in HS. She has mild retardation due to some medical neurological problems, but is high functioning. She is currently in an applied skills program in a public HS. We also have a baby. So schools and neighborhood safety are very important to us. We also need a good pediatric neurologist and/or neurological team so having a decent commute to the medical center would be a bonus.

DH loves the idea of living on a lake, we have lived in golf course communities in the past and enjoyed that. We like outdoor activities, hiking, biking, kayaking, golfing, boating, etc.. However, I would also like to be close to shopping. The house price we have been looking at is 400-600K. We have been looking online at Lake Norman, Corneilus, and Mount Island lake. Is there other areas that we may be overlooking possibly in the university district that match our needs?

I would have loved to be south in the Ballentyne (sp?) area, but after reading several posts on here it sounds like the commute for DH would be a problem.

We will be arriving in Charlotte to get familiar with the area in the next few weeks and plan another trip before Jan to actually work with a realtor. Renting really isn't an option first because we would lose out on some of the perks of our relocation package, plus I don't want to move twice in a year and possibly have to change schools for dd. So we want to do it right the first time.

Your suggestions and input is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 01:53 PM

622 posts, read 1,782,868 times
Based on your criteria you should also consider Lake Wylie, Fort Mill, and Tega Cay in South Carolina.

I am unfamiliar with the answer to the special needs that you have. Hopefully another poster who is mpre knowledgable can repond.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:55 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramca View Post
We will be relocating to Charlotte from TX in Jan. I will be a SAHM, DH will be working uptown. He will also be traveling a lot, so easy commute to airport would be convenient. We have a teenager with special needs in HS. She has mild retardation due to some medical neurological problems, but is high functioning. She is currently in an applied skills program in a public HS. We also have a baby. So schools and neighborhood safety are very important to us. We also need a good pediatric neurologist and/or neurological team so having a decent commute to the medical center would be a bonus.

DH loves the idea of living on a lake, we have lived in golf course communities in the past and enjoyed that. We like outdoor activities, hiking, biking, kayaking, golfing, boating, etc.. However, I would also like to be close to shopping. The house price we have been looking at is 400-600K. We have been looking online at Lake Norman, Corneilus, and Mount Island lake. Is there other areas that we may be overlooking possibly in the university district that match our needs?

I would have loved to be south in the Ballentyne (sp?) area, but after reading several posts on here it sounds like the commute for DH would be a problem.

We will be arriving in Charlotte to get familiar with the area in the next few weeks and plan another trip before Jan to actually work with a realtor. Renting really isn't an option first because we would lose out on some of the perks of our relocation package, plus I don't want to move twice in a year and possibly have to change schools for dd. So we want to do it right the first time.

Your suggestions and input is greatly appreciated.

A commute from Ballantyne is no worse than a commute from Lake Norman, and especially Cornelius - just so you know okay? Of the ones you mentioned, Mt. Island Lake has the best commute back into uptown, but the high schools leave a lot to be desired in that area. Personally, I would HIGHLY recommend you check out the great little town of Tega Cay, just over the state line in SC. Commute to the airport from there is great, and the commute to uptown is not as bad as coming from Cornelius or Ballantyne. It is truly a wonderful place to live on Lake Wylie with strong schools and lower taxes - give it a look see

Old 10-26-2008, 02:46 PM

797 posts, read 3,296,040 times
Charlotte Meck schools have the best resources for special needs H.S students so I would suggest staying in Charlotte/Ballantyne.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:07 PM

Thank you for the responses. This is why I wanted some input from you who know.... we were basing commute off of mapquest. Realizing we will know more when we actually come see, I wanted some general areas to focus on while we are preparing. We will take a second look at Lake Wylie and Ballentyne. I need to change my post. DH just informed me he will be working near the University District. That may make a difference and why he was looking at the Lake areas. I have never been to NC so this is all happening as a whirl wind to me.

Last edited by Bramca; 10-26-2008 at 03:29 PM.. Reason: Changing work location.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:50 PM

999 posts, read 4,653,176 times
Quote:
We also need a good pediatric neurologist and/or neurological team so having a decent commute to the medical center would be a bonus.

Dr Carolyn Hart is my rec. for neuro, have seen several in the area and would not recommend the other practices. I understand she may not be taking new patients but I have heard good things about the other doctors in the practice.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Thank you for the responses. This is why I wanted some input from you who know.... we were basing commute off of mapquest. Realizing we will know more when we actually come see, I wanted some general areas to focus on while we are preparing. We will take a second look at Lake Wylie and Ballentyne. I need to change my post. DH just informed me he will be working near the University District. That may make a difference and why he was looking at the Lake areas. I have never been to NC so this is all happening as a whirl wind to me.
Well, in that case, living in Ballantyne would be even easier! He would only have to travel the I485 loop from one to the other - a pleasant way to go with less traffic than some routes.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,866,320 times
I would recommend Dr Herminia Ferreras with Northeast Pediatric Neurology, in Concord. We adore her!
http://www.herminiaferreras.medem.com//home.htm (broken link)

Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM

177 posts, read 552,738 times
As for the commute, I know of some very well educated people who live in Ballantyne in very nice neighborhoods and actually commute to uptown on public transportation! It's quicker and cheaper. It's a thought anyway!

Old 10-26-2008, 04:42 PM

Thank you for the suggestions on Dr.s I think her team now will try to connect us with dr.s in North Carolina maybe through the medical college, because she has a rare form of epilepsy stemming from an auto immune disease. She requires IVIG treatments in addition to medication. She is part of a medical study so I imagine her dr.s here will want to follow progress of her care.

As far as living location, I must really be missing something. According to the map I am looking at, DH will be working off 85 over between the University and the speedway. (I figured that was uptown in my original post) According to Mapquest he would be taking 73 from Corneilus and hit 85 it should take approx. 20 min. Tega Cay, Lake Wylie, and Ballentyne are completely across town. Are we to assume the traffic is so much worse in the north and it is a better commute from the south even though it is so much farther?

Thank you so much for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte