Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 04:19 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times

Advertisements

I used Wheaton and when I requested the estimate I requested a firm binding estimate. This is a flat fee they charge me and they cannot add anymore over and beyond what they quote. They don't actually weigh the truck but instead do an 'estimated" weight based on the inventory. I had approximately 7500 pounds, which included a Snap On tool box which alone weighs 1500 pounds loaded, and cost me $4300. Also they gave me a definate time they would be there. The company I went with did a "self haul" meaning they loaded up and took off for NC in two days. I had my stuff in three days, the same day as settlement. This won't help those who need storage but it helps those that don't want to wait two weeks to get their stuff, IMO. Just a little info to help others try to manuever around the moving companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 04:20 PM

743 posts, read 2,242,462 times
Oh and another website you can try out is Movingscam.com. A lot of informative stories, horror stories, and especially the moving companies to avoid. I learned quite a few tricks they play by reading this so you can be prepared and on the lookout for them. I can say it did save me once with my mover and they did not try to scam me again.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:04 AM

7,554 posts, read 7,098,673 times
I did alot of shopping around with different movers and we finally settled on upack a division of ABF, similar to pods but different, Upack drops off a 25 ft trailer at your house you load it. Use as much of the trailer as you need, they charge you by the foot. We got rid of alot of stuff and used 8 feet of trailer the next day we called the company and they sent a driver to our house hooked it up and took it. Fort Lauderdale fl to Kannapolis nc was $800, 3 days later we got our stuff and we unloaded. Good Luck, Hope this helps.

Old 02-25-2007, 12:07 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Well I have heard if you can pay in cash you can tell whoever is in charge of the crew that this is all you have and you will pay in cash and sign however they break it down. Meaning the crew gets a nice tip.

Just what I heard.......
just for the record this is for local moves. Not for you guys coming across country.

Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 AM

543 posts, read 1,824,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvarks View Post
I did alot of shopping around with different movers and we finally settled on upack a division of ABF, similar to pods but different, Upack drops off a 25 ft trailer at your house you load it. Use as much of the trailer as you need, they charge you by the foot. We got rid of alot of stuff and used 8 feet of trailer the next day we called the company and they sent a driver to our house hooked it up and took it. Fort Lauderdale fl to Kannapolis nc was $800, 3 days later we got our stuff and we unloaded. Good Luck, Hope this helps.
I'll second upack being a great deal. We hired movers from emove to pack and unpack the truck for us. Ended up being the most economical was for us to move from MA to NC. Where you're local you could even rent a uhaul and hire movers to pack and unpack for you depending on how much stuff you have.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:47 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,293,626 times
We did our move in two sections, both with freight movers as opposed to a moving company. The first half was with Broadway Express and while I liked our driver, I didn't like the end result: they didn't believe me when I said I had a full basement of stuff already packed, and thus I didn't have enough room on the truck (I booked 19 ft). Also, I had a lot of furniture get scratched in the move and one box of dishes was totally crushed. But I have only myself to blame on that box since I'm the one that packed it. Stuff was delivered three days later and I hired three guys from a local moving company just to unload the truck into a storage unit and our apartment.

For the second half of the move, I used ABF with good results (we used 16 ft). Prompt deliver and pickup of the container, and nothing shifted/got scratched/broke from that container. Driver and customer service EXTREMELY helpful.

I can't remember the price we paid, but I know ABF was reasonable as were the local movers. I won't be using B'way Express again despite their history of excellent work.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoCharlotte View Post
Hello folks,
We are in the process of moving from NJ to Charlotte.
Currently we are renting in Charlotte.
Does anybody have any recommendations about moving companies and what to look for or right questions to ask??

We have got a couple of quotes but they vary too much (from $3000 to $10000) so I am not sure which one to go with....
we will also need storage for about 6+ months till we get a house in Charlotte.

Any suggestions, tips are most welcome. iank you
i used rainbow movers from hyannis they are part of allied vans i think.

my neighbor also used them to move. you also can check with better business bureau. they have booklets on the questions to ask. i think any mover will give it to you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte