Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 08:47 AM

27 posts, read 80,099 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are considering moving to Charlotte and have a 5 year old who is already in montessori school. We saw several montessori magnet schools but were unsure of the lottery process for allowing our child to attend. It seems that he will not get in because we are from out of the district/area. Most people on this forum say stay away from Charlotte-Meck schools.. are they talking public or magnet/private schools in the CMS area? I have also heard that Fort Mill has great schools but they do not have a montessori school, so I am anxious to know how do they compare to Charlotte magnet schools. If there is anyone whose child attens montessori, or Fort Mill, please let me know.
Nicole
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 09:00 AM

21 posts, read 64,662 times
Charlotte Meck is going through a lot of changes. I thought the montessori schools were private. There are quite a few private schools. Some are very expensive.

Old 02-18-2007, 09:41 AM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,658 times
Charlotte has several prestigeous private schools including Charlotte Latin, The British American School, Charlotte Christian, Charlotte Catholic, Charlotte Country Day. Charlotte Preparatory School has a Montessori Preschool. Just out of curiosity I looked in the yellow pages and counted over 45 private schools including four with the word Montessori in the title.

Fort Mill Schools are highly rated among South Carolina schools, but North Carolina Schools are rated higher nationally. Every year Newsweek Magazine publishes an article on the top 1000 high schools in the nation. The Charlotte Mecklenburg area has over a dozen in the the top thousand for the past couple of years. Myers Park High is number 37. Providence High was # 114 last year and South Meck # 163. I think you can still access this article by going to msn.com and search Newsweek best 1,000 high schools.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:03 AM

254 posts, read 1,057,558 times
yes Charlotte does have a handful of public montessori schools..none are in very good areas though. The lottery has already passed I believe (the cut off date for applying) and yes it is VERY difficult to get into one if you don't live in the district but not totally impossible. I have a couple of friends who go to one of them and they love it.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaddisw View Post
Hello, we are considering moving to Charlotte and have a 5 year old who is already in montessori school. We saw several montessori magnet schools but were unsure of the lottery process for allowing our child to attend. It seems that he will not get in because we are from out of the district/area. Most people on this forum say stay away from Charlotte-Meck schools.. are they talking public or magnet/private schools in the CMS area? I have also heard that Fort Mill has great schools but they do not have a montessori school, so I am anxious to know how do they compare to Charlotte magnet schools. If there is anyone whose child attens montessori, or Fort Mill, please let me know.
Nicole
Charlotte does have one public Montessori school that I know of, Park Road Montessori.
You should contact Charlotte Mecklenburg Schools to find out the exact procedure for enrolling your child.

In addition, there are several fine private Montessori's.

Anami Montessori is a well-regarded school. A good friend, who is herself a montessori teacher at Charlotte's public montessori (Park Road Montessori), had her children attend Anami until they were old enough for the public school.

Anami is an AMI (Association Montessori International) school. That association tends to look down it's nose at Montessori schools which are AMS (American Montessori Society) schools. However, my friend was AMI trained and certified and works in and AMS school and says there is very little difference. The Americans are apparently trying hard to get the internationals to come together as one, not sure that will ever happen. However, our public Montessori program is very well regarded and only charges for the 4 year olds. Once a child enters kindergarten there is no more cost to the parents. Anami seems to run about $3000. a year from what my friend told me.

Do not believe everything you read about avoiding Charlotte's public schools. Yes, we have problems in too many of them (one is too many), but they are the ones serving poorer neighborhoods and have many tough issues to deal with. There are MANY great elementary schools in this system, especially in the northern end of the county and southern end of the county.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:45 PM

254 posts, read 1,057,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Charlotte does have one public Montessori school, Park Road Montessori.
There are 3 not 1 public montessori's

Old 02-18-2007, 03:46 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
There are 3 not 1 public montessori's
That was the only one I knew of Thanks for the info. Do you know the names of the other two?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: