U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 07:26 PM

746 posts, read 2,326,293 times
i had that question, too, about the books needing to be new or almost new for donation, and the library staff told me that they sell the older books and use the profits for different library projects. of course, the newer books they just put into lending rotation.

i'm sure whatever you do with them, whoever gets them will consider themselves lucky.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:21 AM

868 posts, read 2,321,175 times
Tried to donate books to the library but they would not take them. Told me that unless they were already cataloged then no one could enter them in the system.

Went to one of the elementary schools and they jumped at the chance to get books. They were so excited about them. I donated about 200 kids books. I went to Huntington Farms on Park Road.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:37 PM

746 posts, read 2,326,293 times
i've been donating books for years to both south county and carmel branch with no problem. each of these branches has been very pleased to have the donations.

in fact, here's the official link detailing the plcmc book donations policy...

Book Donations

Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM

454 posts, read 1,552,547 times
Around here you can donate to the local library- they don't use the books for their own catalogue but they put them on a sale shelf for anywhere from 10 cents to a dollar a book, and the money goes to help the library and its programs.

It should not be hard to find someone who has young kids who will be reading soon or who love to be read to, so consider finding someone who has kids who will appreciate and use them...otherwise, you can donate probably to any used bookstore, or find used bookseller at a flea market...

Or better yet donate to preschools, doctor's and dentist's offices for their waiting rooms, OR donate to an elementary school- teachers buy their own books for their classroom libraries so you see new teachers trying to buy big lots of used books on ebay. It would help a new teacher out to kickstart his or her class library.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM

5,137 posts, read 11,415,478 times
I would recommend

The Freecycle Network - about the Charlotte Group (http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/North%20Carolina/Charlotte - broken link)

My wife got a lot of kid stuff from there, and it's all free.

I would rather give stuff to someone who will appreciate it.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:52 PM

5,281 posts, read 4,824,369 times
I would be glad to take about 25-30 of the books. They would be donated to schools in the Dominican Republic in spite of the fact they are in English. Since they are children's books they would be helpful in learning the English lanquage which is taught in some of the schools.Their funds are well below any level you can imagine and your gift would go very far.

I go to the DR about every 7 weeks and if the books are still available I would bring them on my next trip in early Dec.

Old 10-29-2008, 05:27 PM

24 posts, read 32,044 times
Donate to a preschool, a homeless shelter or even a womens shelter. I am sure there are some of each in the area. I know there is a Chesterbrook Acadamy opening on state road 84

Old 10-30-2008, 10:07 AM

712 posts, read 1,303,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renriq02 View Post
I would recommend

The Freecycle Network - about the Charlotte Group (http://www.freecycle.org/group/US/North%20Carolina/Charlotte - broken link)

My wife got a lot of kid stuff from there, and it's all free.

I would rather give stuff to someone who will appreciate it.
I second this one. I love Freecycle!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte