Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 PM

177 posts, read 552,676 times

Advertisements

We have new people posting everyday and asking the same questions about best places to live, whether they should move here, etc. Here's my advice to all who would like to move and work here:
  1. Don't even think about moving down here without a job hoping you'll find one later. Get a job here first, then move! There are lots of people without jobs here because there aren't many available and even more people will be laid off very soon. Do not come here thinking you will find a job ASAP, especially if you have one back home.
  2. After you find that long-awaited job, look for an area close to where you work. Maybe you don't mind the commute back home but why commute an hour and a half in bumper-to-bumper traffic if you don't have to? I know so many people who bought houses on one side of town knowing they would have to commute to the other side, and now they complain about it all the time because it takes them 1, 2 and sometimes 3 hours depending on traffic. Don't do that to yourself! It's not necessary. Drive around and scout the areas. Look up as much information as you can on these forums and do some research on the areas you like. Once you have discovered some target areas where you think you may like to live, ask questions about it but look at older threads first because there is a wealth of information out there.
  3. I love Charlotte because it is a city with a small town feel. To me, it doesn't look like a city except for the uptown part. It's also very pretty year round. However, please know that while Charlotte does attract a lot of outsiders, it is not a mecca. It's not a Seattle or New York or San Francisco or whereever. Also know that it isn't like "back home" and it never will be. Embrace the things you do like and ignore what you don't like. Don't constantly dwell on how great life was "back home". Find things you like about your new home and cherish your fond memories of where you came from. There was a reason you moved here, right? Also know that Charlotte is not so backwards like so many people think. It consists mostly of people who are from other areas of the country/world and there are a few locals still left. Some are happy about the growth and some are not. There are huge growing pains. It is very entertaining to see this but we haven't "arrived". If you are looking for an exciting city like NYC or LA Charlotte may not be the place, but I can find excitement anywhere I go so it doesn't matter to me.
  4. Yes we do have bad crime here and it can and does happen anywhere. I lived in Charlotte 9 years and never had anything happen to me, but I have heard gun shots and personally know of people who have been victims. Just use your common sense on this one. It's not necessary to walk around afraid all the time but don't be complacent either.
I'll post more later. I have to go now. I hope this helps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
That is a great post, and yes get a job first

Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,176,669 times
Better yet, come down here and open a business.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM

237 posts, read 855,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
We have new people posting everyday and asking the same questions about best places to live, whether they should move here, etc. Here's my advice to all who would like to move and work here:
  1. Don't even think about moving down here without a job hoping you'll find one later. Get a job here first, then move! There are lots of people without jobs here because there aren't many available and even more people will be laid off very soon. Do not come here thinking you will find a job ASAP, especially if you have one back home.
  2. After you find that long-awaited job, look for an area close to where you work. Maybe you don't mind the commute back home but why commute an hour and a half in bumper-to-bumper traffic if you don't have to? I know so many people who bought houses on one side of town knowing they would have to commute to the other side, and now they complain about it all the time because it takes them 1, 2 and sometimes 3 hours depending on traffic. Don't do that to yourself! It's not necessary. Drive around and scout the areas. Look up as much information as you can on these forums and do some research on the areas you like. Once you have discovered some target areas where you think you may like to live, ask questions about it but look at older threads first because there is a wealth of information out there.
  3. I love Charlotte because it is a city with a small town feel. To me, it doesn't look like a city except for the uptown part. It's also very pretty year round. However, please know that while Charlotte does attract a lot of outsiders, it is not a mecca. It's not a Seattle or New York or San Francisco or whereever. Also know that it isn't like "back home" and it never will be. Embrace the things you do like and ignore what you don't like. Don't constantly dwell on how great life was "back home". Find things you like about your new home and cherish your fond memories of where you came from. There was a reason you moved here, right? Also know that Charlotte is not so backwards like so many people think. It consists mostly of people who are from other areas of the country/world and there are a few locals still left. Some are happy about the growth and some are not. There are huge growing pains. It is very entertaining to see this but we haven't "arrived". If you are looking for an exciting city like NYC or LA Charlotte may not be the place, but I can find excitement anywhere I go so it doesn't matter to me.
  4. Yes we do have bad crime here and it can and does happen anywhere. I lived in Charlotte 9 years and never had anything happen to me, but I have heard gun shots and personally know of people who have been victims. Just use your common sense on this one. It's not necessary to walk around afraid all the time but don't be complacent either.
I'll post more later. I have to go now. I hope this helps.

It definitly is an adjustment living here and some are able to do it and others are nbot. An added piece of advice to the above is to rent when you come here instead of buying right away to make sure the area is for you.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:26 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
And search this forum to see if your question(s) are already answered!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:54 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Default Real Important

Snow queen left out "How to Win Friends and Influence People"...have a great cocktail party! Don't wait for the neighbors to invite you over as a welcome thingy. That's so...80's. Be generous. Post an open invitations here on CD. Serve top shelf. Tell us you love us. Go overboard.Tell us you will not ever say how much better it was in______________. Don't whine. Don't need to know how long it took to get to work.It's hot. It's cold. It's muggy. No fooling everybody knows that.

Can't get good pizza? Scheese, make it yourself. Write to me I'll give you the recipe. "I need a recommendation for a 'romantic nite'." Toss the kids on the front lawn and lock the door to your bedroom.I have spiders in my to to. Swap the buggers with yesterday's newspaper.

Get a gun permit. Shoot first and learn the law later. Buy a house and put it on the market right away. Mark it up 50% and wait for the first sucker that thinks it's 100% cheaper than NYC.

Can't make friends? Let's go to a club or bar. I'll announce you just got here. Drinks on you. No problem with making 60 friends in ONE night.

Charlotte rocks if you know the deal.
j

Old 10-27-2008, 06:02 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times
..........and stop asking so many questions!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:09 PM

7,126 posts, read 11,705,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
..........and stop asking so many questions!

Forgot that. Great!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:26 PM

64 posts, read 159,098 times
and never forget how much the locals hate you...because they do!!!

Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowWhiteQueen View Post
Don't even think about moving down here without a job hoping you'll find one later. Get a job here first, then move! There are lots of people without jobs here because there aren't many available and even more people will be laid off very soon. Do not come here thinking you will find a job ASAP, especially if you have one back home.
Solid advice. I wish that more people would listen to it. Charlotte doesn't need any more broke, unemployed people moving to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte