Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 07:28 AM

22 posts, read 47,713 times

Advertisements

I'm lookin' to relocate to NC. I'm lookin' at different cities. Among them, Cary, Raleigh, Belmont, Charlotte (not so much anymore-bad schools), Matthews & now Statesville. We're from Miami. We have 3 children so scj=hools are very important but so are home prices. We're lookin' to move to an area with parks, Cultural events, childrens activities (Martial arts, soccer, etc.) Churches. We don't have to live 50 ft from everything but we'd like to be relatively close. I was wonderingf who knows anything about Statesville or any of the other cities I've mentioned. Good or bad. I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 02:20 PM

58 posts, read 77,679 times
Hi there I'm also a South Florida resident and will be moving to Charlotte this summer (can't wait to get out of SFL!). I am having my first child in May so preschool is still 4 years away, but I have been looking into the public schools in both Char-Meck and Union County. While there are certain areas where schools aren't that good, I have been finding that the South Charlotte area (Matthews) and north Union county (Weddington) have the best schools. I don't know anything about Statesville - but I do have family in Winston-Salem and have heard that Forsyth County schools are good, and that area is even less expensive than Charlotte or Raleigh.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:58 PM

22 posts, read 47,713 times
Default Statesville.

Wish you the best. Take your time, with kids there are so many things to consider. I do know that Matthews does have better schools, not to mention the lower taxes in Union county. I visited Charlotte in July 06 & wasn't impressed by the look of the city although there downtown area was much nicer that Miami's. My concern is the amount of crime in Charlotte. I keep hearing people say that there crime rate is higher than Raleigh's. We're heading up again in April to visit some friends in Charlotte & taking a quick look at Matthews before heading up to the Raleigh-Cary area. I hear such great things about Wake county (Raleigh & Cary are located there). While I didn't think Charlotte was pretty to look at It seems Raleigh is very pretty. We'll see. Thanks for your imput.

Old 02-16-2007, 06:51 AM

509 posts, read 1,803,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottaquestions View Post
Wish you the best. Take your time, with kids there are so many things to consider. I do know that Matthews does have better schools, not to mention the lower taxes in Union county. I visited Charlotte in July 06 & wasn't impressed by the look of the city although there downtown area was much nicer that Miami's. My concern is the amount of crime in Charlotte. I keep hearing people say that there crime rate is higher than Raleigh's. We're heading up again in April to visit some friends in Charlotte & taking a quick look at Matthews before heading up to the Raleigh-Cary area. I hear such great things about Wake county (Raleigh & Cary are located there). While I didn't think Charlotte was pretty to look at It seems Raleigh is very pretty. We'll see. Thanks for your imput.
That just goes to show how everyone's taste is different. When I first moved to NC 10 years ago, I meant to move to Raleigh but took one look and beat it for Charlotte! (and then lived in Statesville and then Greensboro... and now back to Charlotte, go figure!)

Old 02-16-2007, 07:05 AM

743 posts, read 2,243,580 times
Yes crime is high but it is mostly in the city and night. Its no different than any other city. Just have common sense and you should be fine. Lock your car doors, don't leave valuables and especially keep the doors locked while driving. I came from Baltimore area, now that is high crime. Charlotte is not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. As far as good areas, Union County is good, not as crowded as Iredell. Schools are excellent as they are building so fast here. And you are still close enough to Charlotte for all activities for kids. As far as housing values, depending on the area you can find everything from 130K to 800K. Wind range of values for one county.

Old 02-16-2007, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 13,172 times
I'm from Statesville. i've moved to charlotte, but my parents and family still live there. statesville is very quiet. there's never really any WOW things that go on. i went to north iredell high school and east iredell middle school. i liked most of my teachers. i think statesville is a great location if you want to live in a quiet place but still be close enough to things. charlotte is only 45 minutes away. hickory and winston-salem is only 25 minutes away. and you're right at the intersection of i77 and i40!

Old 02-16-2007, 10:14 AM

19 posts, read 64,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLEE View Post
I'm from Statesville. i've moved to charlotte, but my parents and family still live there. statesville is very quiet. there's never really any WOW things that go on. i went to north iredell high school and east iredell middle school. i liked most of my teachers. i think statesville is a great location if you want to live in a quiet place but still be close enough to things. charlotte is only 45 minutes away. hickory and winston-salem is only 25 minutes away. and you're right at the intersection of i77 and i40!
Thank you LLEE for some info on Statesville. We are moving there in a couple of weeks. It seemed like a quiet and nice town. Beautiful downtown. We liked that the 2 interstates cross right there! BIG PLUS! Also being on 45 minutes from Charlotte or less was nice too! My Children will go to East Iredell when they get a little older and also to North Iredell and they seem to be pretty decent schools! I was a little worried about moving but it seems that there are some people from the Statesville area that can offer some help about the area and they say nice things which always settles my nerves some!

Old 02-21-2007, 07:50 PM

9 posts, read 28,578 times
Statesville is a decent place to live, but if you want your kids to have the best. it will be best to look into mooresville. plenty of activities to keep them busy if you want them to be. let me tell you. traffic is an issue on exit 36. mooresville has everything that you'll need. Statesville is boring just a little.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:26 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,957,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlTravels View Post
That just goes to show how everyone's taste is different. When I first moved to NC 10 years ago, I meant to move to Raleigh but took one look and beat it for Charlotte! (and then lived in Statesville and then Greensboro... and now back to Charlotte, go figure!)

I totally agree.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:38 AM

90 posts, read 343,201 times
In Order To Get Into The North Iredell School Does That Mean You Have To Live North Of 40 /77 I Was Hoping To Buy Between Exit 50 And 42 Off Of 77. Because I Like Moorsville But Want To Be About 10 Min North Of It, Not As Much Traffic And Less Expensive To Buy Land, But Close Enough To Go Shopping To Mooreville / Stateville. What Area Are You Going To???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte