U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 04:34 PM

5 posts, read 12,531 times

Advertisements

Hi all...been reading thru some threads here, seen alot of helpful advice from alot of nice folk.....hopefully I can get some help here too...

Its looking like me and my family may be relocating down for a job oppty in Charlotte..I have a 7 y/o so schools are the main concern. A nice community is also a key thing, someplace that facilitates meeting people, especially since we know NOONE down here, which quite frankly scares the hell outta me. I think it would make a nice change of pace from LI and a better quality of life, especially for my little one, but I'm still abit scared about being the "pioneer"

Anyway, I've done some research, and think that the Weddington, Marvin, Wesley Chapel areas may offer what I'm looking for. While I've heard alot of good and checked out the ratings which indicate good schools, I've also seen some concerns mentioned about these school districts.

What I'm looking for is some opinions/advice on the pros n cons of these school districts as well as pros and cons on some of the subdivisions in these districts. Guess price wise we'd look in the 400-500K range but I'm not sure if we'll just go straight into buying or rent a few months first. Also, if anyone knows the realistic rush-hour commuting time to Tryon Street, that'd be helpful.

Thanks to all in advance...I'm just starting to get more engaged in the research and wanted to reach out here for some advice as well as say hi!...rgds..Karl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 05:03 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,695,468 times
Hi Karlofli,

You should be able to find a nice home in Union County in your price range. The county is growing fast and building new schools. As it stands right now I believe Marvin, Weddington, Sandy Ridge and New Salem are rated among the best. From Marvin and Waxhaw you should be able to be Uptown in 30 to 45 " during rush hour. There are several routes you can take depending on where exactly you reside. Feel free to access my website (in my profile) to view listings. If you have questions as to which school districts a particular property is in send me a note. I'd be glad to help. Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid; I think you'll be fine.

Old 02-18-2007, 05:07 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,556,813 times
Hi Karl,
Welcome (almost) to NC...we relocated from Plainview LI in 1998 with our family. We first lived in South Charlotte, and now reside in Union County. We love it here.

Because I am a realtor, I am not permitted to offer opinions on schools. But there are people on this board who will be helpful in that regard.

You will have many options for housing in your price range. Some resale communities to consider include Hunter Oaks, Providence Ridge, The Reserve, Quellin, Canterfield Creek, Providence Estates, Champion Forest, Price Mill, Blacksone...there are a few more also. For new construction look at Lawson, Chimneys of Marvin, Hollister -- again, there are a few more. I can send you a new homes book and a relocation packet if you would like -- just PM me.

Where you live can affect your commute time. I live in Union County right on the South Charlotte border, and it takes my husband about 45 minutes during rush hour.

Best of luck

Old 02-18-2007, 07:00 PM

7,930 posts, read 17,800,938 times
Well since we are here and will be buying Im going to give u my opinion, we are from brooklyn ny went to staten island ny then NJ anyway, We love Waxhaw/Marvin area the best..we ventured out to wesley chapel definately beautiful but rural and a little too far for dh's commute to Uptown and weddington also was too far...The developments that South Charlotte mentioned are beautiful we visited almost all of them...Hunter Oaks is beautiful The Reserve well we found MY house love it, Quellin is also beautiful, Providence Ridge was nice, Price Mill we werent impressed with, and the pool was very very small for all those houses, that was the only amenity they had..Blackstone was beautiful also too far...Chimmneys wow almost NOTHING is an upgrade, cherry cabinets and black granite tops were standard and everything else u can imagine, u have a choice of 5 different granite tops...Hollister was very nice they have some beautiful spec homes available...Lawson too was nice but too woodsy and on top of each other for us...either way Karl you and your family will love it here, we cant wait once our house sells hopefully the home I love will still be there we have a son 12 and my daughter will be 8 in a few weeks...good luck to you

Old 02-18-2007, 07:14 PM

OH most importantly Karl, I would recommend South.Charlotte&Union she is my realtor and is one of the best..she is with one of the best company's as well...Just give her a PM and she will be able to assist you in your home search as well as anything else u need to know about the area...I also wanted to add the schools, Sandy Ridge is excellent, Marvin Elem is also really good, and they will be opening Marvin Ridge Middle and Marvin Ridge HS and also a new elem school as well, Rea View Elem...ok I hope this helps you and I didnt ramble too badly..

Staci

Old 02-18-2007, 07:43 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,588,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by businessperson View Post
Hi Karlofli,

You should be able to find a nice home in Union County in your price range. The county is growing fast and building new schools. As it stands right now I believe Marvin, Weddington, Sandy Ridge and New Salem are rated among the best. From Marvin and Waxhaw you should be able to be Uptown in 30 to 45 " during rush hour. There are several routes you can take depending on where exactly you reside. Feel free to access my website (in my profile) to view listings. If you have questions as to which school districts a particular property is in send me a note. I'd be glad to help. Good luck in your search. Don't be afraid; I think you'll be fine.
Waxhaw in 30 to 45 minutes in rush hour??? No way. One hour during rush hour, minimum.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:14 PM

Loves we did it in rush house it was 45 min...

Old 02-18-2007, 08:21 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,230,505 times
1 hour minimum. I have lived here all of my life, no way 30-45 minutes.

Old 02-18-2007, 08:30 PM

well south's dh does it everyday I think she would know

Old 02-19-2007, 01:02 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,695,468 times
I was speaking of Waxhaw just across the county line from Mecklenburg, say the Hunter Oaks area. Further south and east I'm sure would take more travel time to Uptown. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been more specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or