Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 AM

47 posts, read 106,378 times

Advertisements

Have any of you had the opportunity to try a burger cooked on a grill that uses pure lump charcoal OR wood (mesquite in particular)? Restaurant burgers -- unless they cook them this way -- and gas grill burgers don't compare. Condiments are certainly nice, but the burger itself should be the star.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 10:36 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,645,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nchiker View Post
Have any of you had the opportunity to try a burger cooked on a grill that uses pure lump charcoal OR wood (mesquite in particular)? Restaurant burgers -- unless they cook them this way -- and gas grill burgers don't compare. Condiments are certainly nice, but the burger itself should be the star.
Oh, you mean like the Kingsford Briquettes? Sure, haven't had a burger cooked that way in a while. Your right though...the flavor is much better...

Even though the taste is different, I have a gas grill just because of the convenience factor....

Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 AM

1,619 posts, read 3,854,300 times
Someone mentioned a couple posts back, Big Daddy's Burger Bar in Dilworth is good. Also, Bad Dogs in University, at the Boardwalk on J.M. Keynes is great. Good fries, too.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:57 AM

47 posts, read 106,378 times
Actually I don't mean Kingsford briquettes. Lump charcoal looks like real wood (and IS real wood) with no fillers, chemicals, or additives.

This is what I am talking about:

I also have a gas grill that I use during the week for convenience, but it doesn't compare in flavor to the lump charcoal/wood that I use on the weekend.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:36 AM

569 posts, read 1,401,208 times
Penguin is good but has become too crowded and too much of a tourist trap for me. I now prefer Park Road Soda Shop. Snoops (formerly Spoons) is also a great place to get a homemade style burger. Big Daddys is not bad either if you want a fancy burger. Oh man...so many different types of burgers its hard to pick a favorite.

Old 10-29-2008, 03:46 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,515,782 times
You must try either Mr K's on South Blvd in SouthEnd or Zacks on South Blvd & Scaleybark Rd. Both can be reached by Light Rail.

Old 10-29-2008, 07:27 PM

237 posts, read 852,640 times
Best Burgers for me are as foolow

1. Penguin
2. Bucko's - Mooresville
3. Lupies

Old 10-29-2008, 09:24 PM

807 posts, read 2,506,090 times
The Penguin was awesome when we went there this past Summer. I was afraid my wife and I would look too "touristy",but We felt right at home! The food and the atmosphere were awesome! I love dive joints like that. I'll admit I first saw the place on the Food Network,but that really is my kind of place!!!!!

I have no problem with the crowd at the Penguin. I may look old and conservative,and I am to an extent. Piercings and tatoos don't bother me at all. I've met plenty of clean-cut folks who were sorry as can be!

Is South 21 or 21 South any good? It looks pretty cool to me.

Is there any burger joint or anywhere else where the hot rodders hang out in Charlotte?

I can't wait to get back to Charlotte! My wife and I loved it there.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,261,093 times
If you ever scoot up to the triad you gotta try the Joel Burger a few restaurants are now carrying it .
It uses Sour Dough Bread and made from Scratch Pimento Cheese Barbecue Master: Blog Dedicated to a Hamburger - The Joel Burger

Old 10-29-2008, 10:38 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,376,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Penguin is not bad, but for the best burger in town you have to head to Al Mike's (Alexander Michael's) on 9th uptown.

You will not be disappointed.

I had their meatball hero yesterday and it was scrumptious, now I have to go back and eat a burger at lunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte