U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Charlotte: great schools, reasonable commute, good baseball program, Little League World Series

Old 10-29-2008, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,117 times

Advertisements

We are considering a relocation to Charlotte from the burbs of Atlanta. We need advice on where to live. My husband will be working on S. McDowell St in Charlotte. We want an area with great schools that is a reasonable (less than 45 minutes) commute for him. Schools are a big deal to us as is an area with a good baseball program for my 9 year old boy. We are looking to spend in the $450,000-$500,000 range for a house.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:47 AM

44,766 posts, read 56,045,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motmom View Post
We are considering a relocation to Charlotte from the burbs of Atlanta. We need advice on where to live. My husband will be working on S. McDowell St in Charlotte. We want an area with great schools that is a reasonable (less than 45 minutes) commute for him. Schools are a big deal to us as is an area with a good baseball program for my 9 year old boy. We are looking to spend in the $450,000-$500,000 range for a house.
Check out the great towns of Huntersville and Matthews, especially Matthews if baseball is a top priority - their teams go to the regionals for the Little League World Series every year.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:51 AM

4,897 posts, read 5,467,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motmom View Post
Welcome to Charlotte!!! I am not sure whether or not you want the "burbs" of Charlotte because Atlanta's "burbs" are FAR MORE developed. I have a sister that lives off of Panola Rd. in Lithonia GA so trust me when I say there is a difference. Keep that in mind when you are moving to Charlotte. In your price range, you can get a nice home within 2-3 miles of your husband's work. Many people that move from suburban Atlanta find suburban Charlotte rather "bland" and "country". I would highly suggest you move closer to Charlotte's uptown (downtown). Charlotte's uptown is a lot like the midtown area of Atlanta and is much cheaper I've heard. I have also heard that crime and panhandling in Uptown Charlotte is much less. 4th ward and 1st ward in Charlotte's uptown I think would be perfect for your husband when it comes to getting to work (his commute would be a walk or a bicycle ride. It is that close!!!). If you need more real estate for the money, I would suggest also a community close to Charlotte's light rail system. Your husband could ride the train into his job and save on uptown parking fees.

At the end of my post, there is a link to some youtube videos my wife and I took of neighborhoods within 3 miles of uptown. I do not yet have any 1st and 4th ward videos, but they are coming soon. I must warn you that most of these neighborhoods aren't "wide open" like the burbs. The fact that you guys seem to have a small family, I think you might enjoy some "smaller" more urban style real estate. If this is something you might like, let me know and I will go into more details about certain neighborhoods in a future post. Keep in mind that I am not in the business of real estate. I am just an average "Joe" trying to help a newcomer avoid making a mistake when choosing real estate. Suburban Atlanta is NOTHING like suburban Charlotte. You will probably fit in better INSIDE of Charlotte's city limits (culturally speaking, ie-more urban) which will make you much happier about the move. Nobody wants to live some place that doesn't feel like "home". This is something that MANY newcomers have learned the hard way. They moved to an area in metro Charlotte that was simply too different from their "home" area. I don't want your family to be the ones that learn that lesson the hard way too. What ever you do, stay as close to Mecklenburg county as possible. Charlotte's inner city I think would be best!!!

Here are some select videos I have chosen to show you. I appologize for the poor audio. My wife and I underestimated the wind effect that comes with having the window down. Enjoy!!!

YouTube - urban charlotte

Here is the website for all 52 videos of the urban side of Charlotte. The "big" feature video you see is a New Orleans style band playing on Tryon Street. The drunk gentleman dancing in front of the band is quite funny!!! You must scroll down from this video to see the rest of the videos. Enjoy!!!
YouTube - urbancharlotte's Channel

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 10-29-2008 at 11:42 AM..

Old 10-29-2008, 01:33 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,075,958 times
Consider communities like Benton Woods and Providence Plantation -- they are nearby Matthews and convenient to uptown as well (Benton Woods is closer than some areas in Providence Plantation.) Your realtor can set up a search for you to send you listings so you can take a "virtual" look.

Old 10-29-2008, 08:02 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,320,456 times
North Meck and Hopwell have great baseball programs in Huntersville. However these are high Schools.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:06 PM

11 posts, read 17,761 times
I'd recommend the Huntersville area, too. I do not have children, but the area feels safer than some parts of Charlotte. Also, in your price range -- there are A LOT of options. For easy access to Uptown, I'd recommend staying closer to I-77 if possible (if you decide to buy in Huntersville). I'd recommend Mirabella (brand new, really nice floorplans with larger lots) or Wynfield (older, but the neighborhood is beautiful and very popular) or Birkdale (closest to golf and shopping). There are many, many other options, though. Huntersville has, in my opinion, nice neighborhoods, decent shopping, and is accessible to Uptown. Plus its close to both Lake Norman and Mt. Island Lake (if you like the lake scene during the summer).

Welcome to Charlotte and good luck with your search for the right neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte