U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you own a gun
Yes 21 16.15%
Yes , more than one 51 39.23%
No but I own other weapons 14 10.77%
NO 44 33.85%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 08:11 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,038,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnival survivor View Post
ELIMINATE GUNS, REPEAL THE SECOND AMENDMENT!

Enjoy the 15-20 minute 911 response time when your home is being broken into.
The criminals will know that you will not be armed, and will proceed without fear.

If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 AM

11,836 posts, read 25,443,037 times
Quote:
lets assume, just for a second- that the 2nd amendment was repealed- making it totally illegal at a federal level to posses a handgun

I think this would have a significant impact and reduce crime a lot more than putting more police or people with guns on the streets- it doesn't solve anything to give people the ability to protect themselves with a firearm if all firearms are removed from society
Thanks for the laugh! Have you taken a look at crime in England recently?
Oh & if you take away guns from legal gun owners are you really naive enough to think that criminals won't have any?

Old 11-01-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderbear View Post
To me, my .22 is a safety blanket. I couldn't cause too much damage with it, but hell, at least I've got something.
Actually with practice grouping your shots you could cause an attacker a significant amount of damage.

Old 11-01-2008, 09:53 AM

Quote:
I've taken a moment to read through this thread and I am speechless and scared
So you would be more at peace if you were home alone & a group of thugs had broken into your house & decided to gang rape you?

Quote:
empty the whole clip in their face? are you for real? if so maybe this thread should go to local authorities...
The local authorities have told us that they can't be everywhere at once. So if they can't make it out to your emergency for 20 minutes or more how are you planning to stay alive? Are you going to try & reason with a bunch of people who'd like nothing more than to torture you & watch you beg for your life as they pump bullets into you?

Quote:
find a less dangerous hobby please- because that's more Columbine then self-defense
BS. What I hear you saying is that you'd rather give the thugs what they want, whether that's your possessions or your daughter's virginity. Just sit back & take it? Why not post your address in this thread so they can pay you a visit after they get out of jail later today.

Quote:
i can only pray for you and pray for the world
Prayer is good.

Quote:
ELIMINATE GUNS, REPEAL THE SECOND AMENDMENT!
Read answer above... Put a big sign on your lawn saying that this is a gun free house & see what happens.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
This is what makes me sad.. So willing to take another life.. even that of someone.. never mind.. ugh.
Whytewulf do you really think, even for a moment, that anyone on this board wants to kill someone? Granted, there may be those that do, but the majority of responsible gun owners are simply stating how they would react to a thug wanting to hurt them or their families. Do you really think that thugs care about you? Do you think that they are really peaceful people at heart who just want to see an equitable redistribution of wealth, starting with your plasma tv?

You know as well as I do that the new breed on the streets is not overly concerned with theft anymore, but with terror. Its a thrill to hold a family hostage & rape, brutalize & murder them knowing that they won't fight back & that probably nothing will happen to them as a result.

Like others who have responded, if I am put into a position where my life is threatened I will respond. I may have too much adrenaline flowing to stop after pulling the trigger a couple times, but I will make damn sure that the thug will not be getting up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
I also still don't understand why people would feel sorry for anyone who doesn't feel the need to have a gun. I am not treading on anyone's rights by not having one. I think it's perfectly fine that YOU have one. But don't look down upon my views of having one. I would prefer a gunless society I know thats never going to happen, so we really on other means.. And if you feel that a gun is the way to go, feel free. But if and when I have kids, I hope you tell me you have one, because I would never take a chance of having my kid over there unless I knew the situation 100%! My family has guns, and they are in a gun safe 100% of the time unless in use.
I don't feel sorry for you. You seem to be an intelligent person & I would think that there are plenty of items in your house, that while they may have decorative value, they can also be used as an effective bludgeon. Wursthof knives are excellent when thrown or so I have heard...

Old 11-01-2008, 12:00 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,415,909 times
I can't believe that someone here would assume that anyone here is wanting to take a life. If you want to take a life, you have some issues.

On the other hand, knowing you are prepared to do so if it means protecting your life or another person's life is perfectly fine. I've thought long and hard about it. I told myself if I ever doubted that I could do that, I would not carry a gun with me. I'd keep owning them, but not carry one day-to-day. There's agood chance it would be turned against me if I were hesitant to defend myself.

Willing to defend a life is perfectly fine. It makes no difference to me what part of the body was hit. A DA might look at it a little differently, but better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

If you want someone to pray, I suggest all the gun owners pray that the anti-gun people never find themselves being a victim of a violent crime.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:08 PM

4,761 posts, read 6,415,909 times
I'd also like to add this. While I totally respect one's choice to not have a gun, I feel that it is NOT your place to tell me that I cannot own one or why. If you are anti-gun, that's nice. It is you choice to believe what you believe, and mine to believe what I believe. Just don't sit there and try to tell me that guns are the main reason the world is going downhill. Your arguments are not going to make some pro-2A person change their mind just as my arguments are not going to change yours.

Sadly, most of the anti-gun arguments are based in emotion and not in reality. Take a look at existing gun bans and see the flaws in them. To think your (any anti-gun person) version will get it right this time is foolish. No gun ban will ever work. Criminals will always have guns and law-abiding citizens will probably become criminals in order to keep their guns.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:47 PM

7,106 posts, read 9,705,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
At least it's there if the robber needs any of what he's stealing fixed before he leaves.
Would love to take that post to another level but I'm sure I would be banned forever.

So in the interest of staying on topic yes I guess a screwdiver is better than a gun that you are afraid of.

Query...do you drink one every night?

Old 11-01-2008, 05:29 PM

1,852 posts, read 4,668,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I don't feel sorry for you. You seem to be an intelligent person & I would think that there are plenty of items in your house, that while they may have decorative value, they can also be used as an effective bludgeon. Wursthof knives are excellent when thrown or so I have heard...
Oh trust me, I have and will defend myself. And I hope everyone does. What devices we use, is up to each others. And mind you my house is not weapon free. MY breath can even be lethal, as I love onions on my pizza! And you are right, I don't think anyone on here wants to take a life, I know the effect that can have on someone. Taking a life is not like it is on tv and I am sure most of us know that. I think it's the crasness to which some speak, but bravado is always easy on a board/internet. And I guess we just need to take it as such.

Lastly don't ever call me intelligent.. Thems fightin words.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whytewulf View Post
lastly don't ever call me intelligent.. Thems fightin words.
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte